Match Thread: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Look at the newcastle players who have raised their game since the steve bruce era - Schar, Maximan, Joelinton, Wilson, Shelvey, Longstaff, there are probably more.....a lot of these players were very very poor under steve bruce, i remember them coming to villa park and not pressing at all, they were very passive and just strolling around the pitch, much like we have looked in recent times....in a very short time period howe got them running, playing aggressively, in patterns and with a clear philosiphy.

We have UNAI EMERY, who has a huge standing in the game and is renowned for his tactical knowledge and changing the game in play. I feel we will turn a corner with him and see a sharp upturn in form. This world cup break will prove to be a blessing for us, i think we will see results and form and style pick up very quickly. please do not let todays result get you down

• Like 2

Just now, punkiller1981 said:

I think it’s clear emery needs to ship a lot of from this team.

olsen

mingd

konsa 

mcginn 

young

bailey

watkins

for starters

Konsa, McGinn and Young are all good enough for the squad / bench.  But they aren't good enough to be starting more matches than not.  Bailey shows flashes but seems to go missing when the chips are down.  Olsen has been unconvincing and probably needs to be replaced in the summer.  Mings needs to be the junior CB partner - we need to see him play alongside Carlos for an extended period (I think he will look much better).  Watkins needs some time on the bench but looks like he has been found out.

Two good first team signings and we've got a decent team.

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

My anger is solely with Purslow. Look what they've achieved in 12 months whilst we **** around with the next big thing in management. 

Majority of the players, and some poorest performers out there today were Dean Smith players.

Let's just admit that some of these players are absolute shite.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think we need a massive clearcut, there are areas we can be better, most notably up top, but the difference between the two sides today isn't all about the quality of the players - it's about the way Newcastle are organised, confident and strong, they've beaten us as much with their mentality as anything else. It'll be interesting to see how long they can keep this up - with Brighton also looking good, there good be trouble ahead for the supersix and in the long term that might be good for both us and Newcastle.

Thats the problem OBE fragile and weak. We seen this too many times. Its not hood enough. We need to rid of the softies and get some winners in

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Majority of the players, and poorest performers out there today were Dean Smith players.

Let's just admit that some of these players are absolute shite.

That's what Newcastle fans were saying about their own this time last year. Now Longstaff, Murphy, Scharr, Joelinton, Almiron etc who looked like Championship players last year are taking the piss with us. They are simply well coached 

• Like 1

Some proper bed wetters on here. 

We've been schooled by a team who are in the top 4 and absolutely flying. 

Many teams are going to get battered here the form they are in

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

Just now, Villatillidie95 said:

Look at the newcastle players who have raised their game since the steve bruce era - Schar, Maximan, Joelinton, Wilson, Shelvey, Longstaff, there are probably more.....a lot of these players were very very poor under steve bruce, i remember them coming to villa park and not pressing at all, they were very passive and just strolling around the pitch, much like we have looked in recent times....in a very short time period howe got them running, playing aggressively, in patterns and with a clear philosiphy.

We have UNAI EMERY, who has a huge standing in the game and is renowned for his tactical knowledge and changing the game in play. I feel we will turn a corner with him and see a sharp upturn in form. This world cup break will prove to be a blessing for us, i think we will see results and form and style pick up very quickly. please do not let todays result get you down

I think we'll struggle until the January transfer window.  We are still very unbalanced and lacking in leadership on the pitch.  I think we will be better after the WC (and it is good that Emery will get time with a lot of the squad to work on things during that time) but we need to bring in a couple of good players to give him a chance.  I think once we have the balance sorted then we will see a few of our other players raise their game because they will have proper support around them.

• Like 1

Sums it up

87: It's worth mentioning that aside from the penalty before half-time, Newcastle had five shots to Aston Villa's three.

Since the break, they've had 12 attempts, while Villa have had none. I don't know what message was given out in the away dressing room during the interval but whatever it was, it's been as effective as an inflatable dartboard.