Unai Emery

PeterSw

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The culture of playing out from the back that he has instilled continues to amaze me.

We have never ever played like that as consistently as we do now.

We've had spells, but as soon as we're under the cosh it goes out the window.

Yesterday we just point blank refused to stray away from that tactic of playing out from the back. Under huge pressure at times, we stuck to it rigidly and it paid off massively.
Players like Pau, Tielemans and Martinez are key to that.

Yet he’s instilled it almost instantly. 

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a lot of analysis we're still categorized as 'tricky' or 'stubborn' opponents and told that Unai is the ultimate pragmatist who knows how to 'spoil' the bigger teams game plans, but the fact of the matter is that we've gone toe to toe with pretty much everybody at one point or another since he came in and beaten everyone in the PL at least once (with the exception of Liverpool). Also, for all the talk of how Arsenal shouldn't be losing to teams 'like Villa' they are only marginally better than us in terms of points accrued since the start of 2023 (112 vs 106). Part of me is annoyed that we still are viewed as this flash-in-the-pan side, but also I'm happy to continue to be underestimated by our rivals and the media alike. In fact, you could argue that Arteta did just that yesterday by starting Zinchenko at left back and moving Havertz into midfield to accommodate Jesus up front.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 2

Thought about this most the day. I've supported Villa since around 92/93 season. 

In that time we've had some good managers and some dross. 

Emery is the best I've seen. I loved the Little/Gregory era but he's taken us to another level no manager before him, in my lifetime supporting this club, has. 

Tactically he's superb. Not always but 95% of the time and that is enough to 1. Obtain and maintain high finishes in the League and 2. Win something, which this great club is long overdue. 

What a man, we are very lucky to have him. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

Playing like this, away from home against a title challenger is just unthinkable 

Out it this way, when Bruce/Gerrard were in charge no-one in their wildest dreams would have thought about watchin a Villa team do that.

Enjoying this ride immensely but the more we improve and grow, I guess the more risk of losing Emery? Jealous eyes looking to take them I suppose. United, Liverpool, Bayern, Barcelona etc. Hope not, but is it inevitable? 

Just now, ferguson1 said:

Enjoying this ride immensely but the more we improve and grow, I guess the more risk of losing Emery? Jealous eyes looking to take them I suppose. United, Liverpool, Bayern, Barcelona etc. Hope not, but is it inevitable? 

Na, Real Madrid maybe, Manure are in a mess and Liverpool aren't far behind. He's 18 months into a 5 year project and next season we will be better than both of them. 

Our owners will match our on field success with off field investments and growth. The Villa of old has gone and there's a new one on its way. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Imagine what he will do with another couple of transfer windows.

He us doing this with some wonderful players, but also some very average ones who he makes look like world beaters.

Carlos is probably 4th choice centre half st the start of the season- was magnificent.

Digne good solid full back - superb today.

Rogers - a dozen games out if the championship. 

A genius. 

I've been thinking the same. Is it wrong to think that, if we let him bring in the players he wants, we could be winning a few trophies over the next few years? He makes all of us dream and then he makes those dreams a reality.

Many people are now realising how big this club is, we taught the treble winners a lesson and probably killed Arsenal's title hopes. Aston Villa are one of the most decorated English clubs and I am so glad we are finally acting like it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

It’s possible but not for another year at least.

15 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." - Shakespeare (Hamlet)

This is nonsense worrying though. Emery has everything he wants here. NSWE have partnership with lower league Spanish team he owns. 

Emery will leave the moment he believes there is nothing more to be achieved at Villa, if NSWE keep giving him what he needs then he could be here a while.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." - Shakespeare (Hamlet)

This is nonsense worrying though. Emery has everything he wants here. NSWE have partnership with lower league Spanish team he owns. 

Who’s worrying? Just a talking point.

Edited by ferguson1

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

If he gets us 4th he must be a strong contender for manager of the season, if he gets us 4th and silverware he has to be manager of the season surely?

More chance of Ten Hag winning it.

Â