Unai Emery

PeterSw

Going to be more and more of this now, especially if chelsea and utd continue to be shite. I've said before, but I don't have any concern that he'll go any time soon while the project is progressing so well. This is the perfect set up for him to flourish and he's only just getting started. 

• Thanks 1

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

If (Big IF) Man United did come in for him surely he cant turn that job down?

Said before and this is hard to explain without sounding like I'm criticising the guy, I don't think that mega club is his thing, it's wrong to say it's not his level more it's not his skill set, this thing where people say anyone can do peps job is not true, managing those elite players or more keeping those elite players happy is a skill, conversely Bielsa obvious got something about him as a manger will never get an elite job because those players won't buy in to him

I look at what happened at Arsenal and to a lesser extent at psg and then look at us, villarreal and Sevilla and just think we are what he is, we are what he's brilliant at, man utd Chelsea even to an extent real Madrid or man City of they came in a couple of years they aren't his skill set and hed no doubt be successful but wouldn't see the same turn around

Whether or not he thinks that is something different... Obviously hope not

• Like 2

Emery won't leave so soon. He got everything he wanted from NS and we brought in Monchi and gave Emery the control to structure the club. He won't get that freedom at United. He also has his experiences of PSG and Arsenal too. 

Emery knows he's got the total backing here and can improve the club and the squad over time. He can compete with the 7 as he calls them and get us into CL and win a trophy too. 

If a big club needs a new head Coach it's guaranteed to be De Zerbi. I think we sign Emery on to a longer contract this season too. Another 3 years 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Couldn’t agree more! 

Unai + Villa = Mjf & Adam Cole ‘BayBay’

I appreciate that 90% of VT readers have no idea what we’re on about!

I was thinking the same thing. I just want a locker room scene where Unai grabs a microphone and says "Who's ready for story time with Unai Emery, BayBay?"

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, thunderball said:

NSWE have given him the keys to the club, he won’t find that elsewhere. There is a distinct lack of politics here, it is a straightforward club. The dressing room is full of honest players, no super stars or egos. The only thing we are lacking is Champions League. If he achieves that I reckon NSWE will back him as well as any owners anywhere else, I don’t see him going anywhere. I reckon he will be Villa’s Sir Alex.

Slight amendment to your statement. Plenty of super stars, just no egos! 

• Like 2

Man Utd are an absolute basket case of a club right now. They have so much work to do behind the scenes and not the right people in charge to help facilitate that and modernise the club. Emery wouldn't touch that job with a barge pole - he had a rough enough time of it at Arsenal, where he did as good as anyone could reasonably expect, but because the club were in disarray and the fans were expectant/entitled, he was billed as a failure. 

Emery lives and breathes football, first and foremost. He gets paid handsomely here and has the autonomy and infrastructure to allow him the freedom he wants to thrive. I cannot see why he'd want to give that up to go there - it'd be a frustrating nightmare for him. The only danger we have of losing Emery is if he feels that he's taken us as far as he can and that we have an unassailable ceiling, and he's only just getting started.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29/10/2023 at 23:20, MWARLEY2 said:

So. 22 wins out of 35 premier league games to date overall . 63 % win rate.

Sixty three percent win rate over nearly a seasons worth of games. Which means that he wins near as damn it 2 out of every 3 league games we play. And this season its a win rate of 70 percent. 

Joint top scorers in the league Top scorers across league and cup. 

We even give the opposition a bit of joy by conceding a goal a game as its kind to do so. 

He spent £83 mill on Moreno Diaby Torres and Tielemans.

That spend figure is quite phenomenal.

Compared to the 400m spent by Newcastle, 1bn spent by Chelsea and however much by other scum 6 clubs.

Truly truly outstanding, in every sense of the word.

On 30/10/2023 at 00:20, MWARLEY2 said:

So. 22 wins out of 35 premier league games to date overall . 63 % win rate.

Sixty three percent win rate over nearly a seasons worth of games.

Which means that he wins near as damn it 2 out of every 3 league games we play. 

And this season its a win rate of 70 percent. 

Joint top scorers in the league

Top scorers across league and cup. 

We even give the opposition a bit of joy by conceding a goal a game as its kind to do so. 

He spent £83 mill on Moreno Diaby Torres and Tielemans. 

Elite

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Emery won't leave so soon. He got everything he wanted from NS and we brought in Monchi and gave Emery the control to structure the club. He won't get that freedom at United. He also has his experiences of PSG and Arsenal too. 

Emery knows he's got the total backing here and can improve the club and the squad over time. He can compete with the 7 as he calls them and get us into CL and win a trophy too. 

If a big club needs a new head Coach it's guaranteed to be De Zerbi. I think we sign Emery on to a longer contract this season too. Another 3 years 

He didn't leave Villareal when Newcastle came because he hadn't finished what he had started there. I think he's a man of his word and he's with us until we win a European trophy, and then I'd suspect if we qualify for an improved European tournament this season (even if we also win the conference) he's staying to finish that job.

Beyond that, only the man himself knows, but he's not abandoning a half finished project or leaving before reaping the rewards of his immensely hard work. That gives us this season,  next season (assuming we qualify for Europa League or even Champions league), and plenty of time to enjoy his magnificent work.

I do look at clubs he's left and the turmoil they find themselves in after, but it's a long way off for us yet.

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

I do look at clubs he's left and the turmoil they find themselves in after, but it's a long way off for us yet.

That’s the thing. He’s been given complete control, got his people in all the coaching, scouting, recruiting, director of football etc. positions. When he goes, they’ll go and recovering from that will be extremely difficult.  Every silver lining has a cloud.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, blandy said:

That’s the thing. He’s been given complete control, got his people in all the coaching, scouting, recruiting, director of football etc. positions. When he goes, they’ll go and recovering from that will be extremely difficult.  Every silver lining has a cloud.

Yep i have thought about this its a worry however if we have had big time success by then hopefully we can attract another manager thats almost on his level

21 minutes ago, blandy said:

With all due respect we're in a whole different level in terms of finances than the likes of Villareal and Sevilla

We'll be fine.

I trust Nassef and Wes. Getting rid of Purslow was vital.

34 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Almeria still played 3 more top flight seasons after he left, Sevilla finished top 4 the following season(7th in Unai last season). Villarreal finished 5th last season

Valencia are a crazy club still finished 5th season after he moved on

SeVILLA 

VILLAreal 

Aston VILLA 

He's clearly collecting clubs with VILLA in the name. A Villa man, through and through. 

If he leaves us, it would only be for Pelsall Villa. 

• Haha 1

Â