Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

42 minutes ago, TRO said:

Pochettino's managerial record is governing our perception by the last 2 clubs.....where its clear he has had elite players.....57% win percentage, combined.

In his 2 previous clubs, Espanyol and Southampton his win percentage is somewhat reduced to an average of 34% as opposed to the above 57% average at PSG & Spurs which is quite a disparity.

My caveat is, these figures, lean heavily on having the better players.

Do we really know, what we would be getting, if such a move happened?

If you want to go the win percentage route, which is pointless if you’re not going to consider the circumstances then I can give you a very good example of why it’s not black and white. Eddie Howes win % at Bournemouth in the premier league was 29%, not great but there’s obvious reasons why. His current win percentage with Newcastle is just over 40%. 

32 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

This would be a common but misinformed interpretation. To the degree that it shows either a lack of depth in understanding Nietzsche's approach due to an inability to fathom how and why it serves to be that way inclined, or as a consequence of not delving into the explanations enough to see what they are about at their core.

Mods: forgive the off-topic response, however I would so welcome a manager or coach to come in with the philosophical insights that so many of the best coaches have, even if they do not promote or speak readily of it. Even certain training methodologies that develop a better athlete, are founded on a way of approaching the task at hand, which involves using one's immaterial qualities to hone and make any practical steps have purpose.

Amor Fati, as Nietzsche embodied, is a way of accepting that which cannot be changed that is external to one's influence, and focusing on the inner dialogue which interprets and shapes one's understanding of these events, which is within grasp of the individual. Through that internal dialogue we develop the change within ourselves, which may then have scope to give us a greater influence in undertakings that may once have been out of reach.

I'm probably butchering that left, right and centre. However it's a great outlook when represented well.

I appreciate that his ideas were twisted into something horrible, but it was kind of a throwaway joke. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, HKP90 said:

I appreciate that his ideas were twisted into something horrible, but it was kind of a throwaway joke. 

Thanks. I considered I may have missed that, but I'd already written and sent. 

Call me a git. I've been listening to a lot of Amor Fati and philosophies in general to better deal with some stuff in my life so I just shot from the hip as it's been a focus for a while now.

Shouldn't be to the detriment of light-hearted comments and paying attention to what's being said. My bad.

I just had a chilling thought - Gerrard continues to be a bit shit but manages to hang on until the world cup break when he's given the boot. Southgate gets England a few tedious games into the finals before getting beaten by the first decent team England play and then steps down. Purslow thinks Southgate is a good manager and we end up with that silly chunt as our manager 

I'm hoping Gerrard either pulls his finger out and turns this round properly or is so bad he gets gone very soon!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, picicata said:

I just had a chilling thought - Gerrard continues to be a bit shit but manages to hang on until the world cup break when he's given the boot. Southgate gets England a few tedious games into the finals before getting beaten by the first decent team England play and then steps down. Purslow thinks Southgate is a good manager and we end up with that silly chunt as our manager 

I'm hoping Gerrard either pulls his finger out and turns this round properly or is so bad he gets gone very soon!

Terrifying 

33 minutes ago, picicata said:

Southgate would not come here and fans would make it known he wasn't welcome.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Southgate would not come here and fans would make it known he wasn't welcome.

Exactly my thoughts. In the above scenario, we may very well put the feelers out for Southgate; the Gerrard appointment proves we're cable of such high-risk low-reward thinking, which would almost certainly be the case with Southgate, but there's no way he'd come to us. He's clearly a smart bloke, unlike Bruce or McLeish, say, who recklessly thought let's give it a try, and he knows where his bread is buttered.

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

Exactly my thoughts. In the above scenario, we may very well put the feelers out for Southgate; the Gerrard appointment proves we're cable of such high-risk low-reward thinking, which would almost certainly be the case with Southgate, but there's no way he'd come to us. He's clearly a smart bloke, unlike Bruce or McLeish, say, who recklessly thought let's give it a try, and he knows where his bread is buttered.

I agree with the bit about Bruce, deluded and egotistical - not so sure about McLeish always thought of him as a man of good character and if Aston Villa come knocking it would be hard to look the other way.

It’s just a shame he is not a great manager, come to think of it, he wasn’t much of a player either - I still have time for him as a proper football man 

3 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

Thank God. I couldn't deal with Southgate in charge. Not only a poor manager, but zero personality, actually I'd put his personality into the minus figures.

Edited by Tom13

The longer this drags on the less chance we have of getting a quality manager.

Poch is clearly the top choice for most but all it takes is everton or Leicester  to bin their manager and im sure they would be looking at poch too.

Only hope we are in talks to finalise poch as our new manager in time  for the international break

That should make everyone happy, we can win without the fear it keeps the slippy one here longer.

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Thank God. I couldn't deal with Southgate in charge. Not only a poor manager, but zero personality, actually I'd put his personality into the minus figures.

the personality of a squashed fly

31 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I can see one of Poch or Unai Emery as our preferred choices. Brendan Rodgers would probably be the other one.

Emery is a quality manager, but hey he spoke funny so no one liked him. 

It says more about the British press than it does about him 

I can see Poch holding out rather than take us or Leicester. He’s built himself a decent reputation that he’ll be linked with elite clubs.

I can see Juve sacking there manager so he could go there, unless they try for Zidane.

Also I think Ancelotti will retire at the end of the season, and he’s already been linked with them.

7 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

If you want to go the win percentage route, which is pointless if you’re not going to consider the circumstances then I can give you a very good example of why it’s not black and white. Eddie Howes win % at Bournemouth in the premier league was 29%, not great but there’s obvious reasons why. His current win percentage with Newcastle is just over 40%. 

I also find judging managers by win percentages a bit odd.

Majority of managers are going to be below 50% so I'm not really sure which metric is deemed to be very good. If we won 18 games this season then we'd probably qualify for europe with 6-7 draws and that would be our best league season in over a decade.

Very few managers in any league ever win 20 games a season bar the very top ones.

If you look at Poch's 18 months at Southampton he did very well, took over them in Jan 2013 and comfortably kept them up and then 13/14 they were on verge of europe for most of the season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, picicata said:

Southgate gets England a few tedious games into the finals before getting beaten by the first decent team England play and then steps down. Purslow thinks Southgate is a good manager and we end up with that silly chunt as our manager 

Step away from the edge.