Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Chelsea

limpid

Match Polls  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/10/22 at 22:59

Just got back from villa park after 3.5hr drive plus traffic.

For me villa need to stick to a formation and team and back it, Gerrard too predictable with subs same subs everyweek. Ings today I thought literally did everything but score Kepa saved Chelsea first half we could of been comfortable going into second half.

It's clear beundia,bailey,ings,coutinho if either Starr are replaced by those who don't Start and vice versa this needs to stop hence the pick a team and formation and BACK IT STEVE.

We played well today. Our downfall was two horrendous errors. Mings had an absolute braifart for their first and Martinez just completely looked hapless for their second. 

Our forwards should have done far better with their chances today. We had by far the best chances in that game - enough chances to have even made up for the two crazy go's we gave away. They are not on Gerrard - that's the players. 

But, my god did he kill us as an attacking threat with his subs. When we had just gone two down why on earth did he take Bailey off? That should have been McGinn or Ramsey. 

• Like 1

We were good for 30 mins, had many corners and cause some real havoc on a couple of occations with good chances. But that changes nothing for me, the same faults are still there. This formations does not work, McGinn and Ramsey can not play in a three man midfield. Good that Coutinho was dropped, meant it wasn't like we played with one man less this game. Whereas Potters substitutions changed the game in their favour, our fully predictable changes just made us worse.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

We played well today. Our downfall was two horrendous errors. Mings had an absolute braifart for their first and Martinez just completely looked hapless for their second. 

Our forwards should have done far better with their chances today. We had by far the best chances in that game - enough chances to have even made up for the two crazy go's we gave away. They are not on Gerrard - that's the players. 

But, my god did he kill us as an attacking threat with his subs. When we had just gone two down why on earth did he take Bailey off? That should have been McGinn or Ramsey. 

Potter killed us with his subs and as always, Gerrard was all out of ideas.

12 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I'm one of the last to defend Gerrard and I do agree that the subs made us worse (the team was working fine and if subs were to be made, I only would've made them for fitness reasons), but I feel the drop was due to them scoring their second goal (completely against the run of play) and we wouldn't have recovered regardless. But yes, the subs didn't make much sense, especially bringing on Coutinho after he already brought on Buendia. I had absolutely no idea as to what the shape was supposed to be by then.

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We did do well first half but is that down to Gerrard or is it because these players are actually decent? 

45 mins from God knows how many games would suggest it wasn't really down to our coaching and management. 

The Bolton game when we went 1-0 down, looked like Gerrard just told the team to go out and win in the second half. They seemed to play with freedom and knocked in the goals for fun.

22 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We did do well first half but is that down to Gerrard or is it because these players are actually decent? 

45 mins from God knows how many games would suggest it wasn't really down to our coaching and management. 

The same players who gifted Chelsea a goal and missed all our chances you mean?

Mate... sorry but SG needs to get blame for what he does wrong, and credit for the little he does right.

The ratio is about 90 - 10 at the moment so it doesn't mean too much.

He set up the team correct tactically, and his failure to respond in game via tactics and subs only made it worse.

The good he has done is out shadowed by multiple other things.

Yes we have some good players, but we also have some sub par ones in KEY areas.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

7 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Missed the game, but were we really expecting to beat Chelsea - we’re fighting against relegation.

I don't think it was actually this game in isolation so much.

It's a culmination of everything and most notably where we are in the table.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The same players who gifted Chelsea a goal and missed all our chances you mean?

Mate... sorry but SG needs to get blame for what he does wrong, and credit for the little he does right.

The ratio is about 90 - 10 at the moment so it doesn't mean too much.

He set up the team correct tactically, and his failure to respond in game via tactics and subs only made it worse.

The good he has done is out shadowed by multiple other things.

Yes we have some good players, but we also have some sub par ones in KEY areas.

We need some decent coaching, I can't actually see a player who has improved under Gerrard. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

We were good for 30 mins, had many corners and cause some real havoc on a couple of occations with good chances. But that changes nothing for me, the same faults are still there. This formations does not work, McGinn and Ramsey can not play in a three man midfield. Good that Coutinho was dropped, meant it wasn't like we played with one man less this game. Whereas Potters substitutions changed the game in their favour, our fully predictable changes just made us worse.

I am a big fan of Potter like most on here but I don't think the substitutions he made were the game changer. It was conceding such a poor second goal that killed us. The half time subs he made were pretty obvious given both Cucurella and Havertz were playing poorly. We were well in the game at 1-0. Our subs obviously didn't improve us though. 

• Like 1

Â