A Full English Breakfast

villa4europe

8 hours ago, Risso said:

I humbly submit this I took of a FEB I made a few years ago on the IOM (so technically a Full Manx Breakfast, but I digress). The bacon isn't burnt by the way, it was locally smoked from the same people who did kippers, so it was a bit black in places in its uncooked state.

Let's have it.

IMG_5282.jpeg

There it is. Looks so good, like an advert for English breakfasts. Takes me back to childhood, seeing that. My dad would sometime throw in the odd item in his versions for us as kids, usually something leftover from supper the night before -- a bit of roast, bread fried in grease, some a bit of bubble and squeak. The tomatoes seem a bit small to me. I prefer American style bacon to English rashers, tbh, and I've never seen black pud in the States, although we have some worthy regional cousins of it. You see English style bangers a little more often these days around where I live, but rarely. Yum. 

Anyone who has eaten a breakfast in Britain or Ireland has likely been served other scrapple cousins: black pudding (made with blood) and white pudding (without). Even on Pennsylvania shelves, there are other products that look "related" to scrapple.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

All this talk about English breakfasts is reminding me of this offering here in Madrid from during the pandemic. I actually like this restaurant, but this was an error in judgement.

The shocking thing is the addition of cheese and a croissant, yet the Instagram description was "desayuno estilo inglés". English style breakfast. Maybe but not quite.

Screenshot2023-03-22at23_10_22.thumb.jpg.e1619ba9de994ab943a362ee0035b5a2.jpg

Is that a pile of walnuts? What the **** is it ?

Mmm dip your croissant in the beans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Streaky bacon is the meat you put on other meats to make really tasty meat treats!

Middle Cut rind on ftw

Yes, yes. We’re hunters in my part of States and “streaky” bacon is often wrapped around venison. 🦌 I love that dish, all except for the non-bacon part. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

It's unclear at this point, whether the VT massive dem (dem, not Dem) considers smoked or unsmoked, dry cured or that other stuff full of white gack to be the bacon of choice for the FEB.

5 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Admittedly when I was in the US I was introduced to the concept of a Bacon Plate. Which was as good as it sounds VT. Bacon, Lattice woven. into a 'plate'. to put other foods on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

16 hours ago, Rolta said:

All this talk about English breakfasts is reminding me of this offering here in Madrid from during the pandemic. I actually like this restaurant, but this was an error in judgement.

The shocking thing is the addition of cheese and a croissant, yet the Instagram description was "desayuno estilo inglés". English style breakfast. Maybe but not quite.

Screenshot2023-03-22at23_10_22.thumb.jpg.e1619ba9de994ab943a362ee0035b5a2.jpg

That looks like a breakfast made by AI.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's unclear at this point, whether the VT massive dem (dem, not Dem) considers smoked or unsmoked, dry cured or that other stuff full of white gack to be the bacon of choice for the FEB.

Dry/Home cured or the injected stuff that shrinks alot? hmm such choice.Isn't commercial dipping also a thing? Drycured ftw.

'Green' surely the classic. Smoked is fine by me. Sweetcured, sure why not. Why not a bit of both. it's bacon. it's all good.

Smoked or unsmoked is a choice I will make at the time. I like both

Dry cured is preferable

That injected shite can get to fook though

Quite partial to treacle cured bacon every now and again (but for a sandwich not an FEB)

I love America and most of the people I’ve met there. It’s a wonderful country, and I’d have no problem living there at all. However there are two small [big] problems. No 1) Their cheese No 2) Their bacon. We’ll leave number one for now as it’s not really relevant to a thread about breakfast, but their bacon, oh my god, unremittingly shit, no matter where you go. I’ve been right off the beaten track in the States, and had some fantastic steak, craft beer, seafood, wine, fruit, vegetables etc etc, but I’ve never once had anything remotely passable in the bacon department. How can they consistently be so bad at it? You’d think that even one producer being good would see them dominate the market and make a gazillion quid, but no, it all looks it’s made of play-doh and tastes even worse than that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Risso said:

I love America and most of the people I’ve met there. It’s a wonderful country, and I’d have no problem living there at all. However there are two small [big] problems. No 1) Their cheese No 2) Their bacon. We’ll leave number one for now as it’s not really relevant to a thread about breakfast, but their bacon, oh my god, unremittingly shit, no matter where you go. I’ve been right off the beaten track in the States, and had some fantastic steak, craft beer, seafood, wine, fruit, vegetables etc etc, but I’ve never once had anything remotely passable in the bacon department. How can they consistently be so bad at it? You’d think that even one producer being good would see them dominate the market and make a gazillion quid, but no, it all looks it’s made of play-doh and tastes even worse than that.

Perhaps they arent aware its bad, maybe they think its normal, like having no privacy at all in public toilets, they think its normal. I rarely if ever have bacon in the states, prefer sausage, which in my opinion they do quite well. Bacon though, they have to burn it to a crisp just to hide how bad it all is. no offence Merican Villans.

• Haha 1

I

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Perhaps they arent aware its bad, maybe they think its normal, like having no privacy at all in public toilets, they think its normal. I rarely if ever have bacon in the states, prefer sausage, which in my opinion they do quite well. Bacon though, they have to burn it to a crisp just to hide how bad it all is. no offence Merican Villans.

Now you mention it think we have to have a seperate thread about Toilet Doors in the USA......

• Like 1

Â