January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

37 minutes ago, burchy said:

Do people think we’ll go big and break our transfer record in January?

No. Clubs only want to sell if in financial trouble or unwanted players in January

Its a poor market usually

33 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Yes he did. Nobody is debating if Tammy is a poor player we’re debating if he is a significant upgrade on Ollie a slight upgrade at £50m isn’t viable.

Depends on the role, Ollie isn’t a goalscorer so would be a definite upgrade there but an all round pressing then he wouldn’t.  

Would also depend on the fee because I’ve seen various figures mentioned but £50m is the highest I’ve seen yet, so that would have to be taken into consideration.  Doubt it’s anywhere near that figure.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No. Clubs only want to sell if in financial trouble or unwanted players in January

Its a poor market usually

Vidic, Van Dijk, Suarez, Cahill, Fernandes, Evra, Matic, Defoe, Coutinho (to Liverpool), Mahrez. 

They all disagree with you. 

But you need to spend big.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Vidic, Van Dijk, Suarez, Cahill, Fernandes, Evra, Matic, Defoe, Coutinho (to Liverpool), Mahrez. 

They all disagree with you. 

But you need to spend big.  

That's a handful after what 20 years of the transfer window

Has been a lot more financial duds than wins

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

That's a handful after what 20 years of the transfer window

Has been a lot more financial duds than wins

Exact same can be said about the summer. 

You win some you lose some, the upcoming window will tell us a lot about what Emery thinks about the squad.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

My brain hurts reading this thread...  Why are we still talking about Tammy?  No chance Roma lets him go now.  Mourinho still rates him, even though he's going through a dry spell at the moment.

Going to be signing players out of left field again.  Cunha is interesting and would be the type I would expect us to be going after.   Someone not quite good enough to be regularly starting for a club like Atletico but could develop into something special after a few years of starts in the Premier League for us.  I also anticipate us splashing the cash on one high profile mercurial signing (someone like Yeremy Pino) this summer.  Exciting times ahead!

The same people run to the Mcginn thread when he's had one 'ok/good' game in 2 years and reply with 'some silly looking people here' or 'shut some up on here'. 

Romanticising players and Nostalgic memory's gets a bit embarrassing. 

• Like 1

I think the striker links are valid ones, not sure on the others, so for me we’ll definitely see a cheap striking option come in, perhaps Cunha on loan or Thuram (would prefer Thuram personally). 

I’d like to say a wide player too but we’d have to go big for that one. 

Will be interesting to see how it pans out. 

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

He's 1 in 3 per 90 minutes, I believe. 

Team building isn't as simple as how many goals a guy has scored, especially when he's 23 and still developing as a player. If he's a missing piece that helps complete the team, then we'll score more goals anyway and that is far more important.

I accept, There are many ways of looking at it....and exceptions to every rule

but if it walks and talks like Duck, its probably a duck.

Judgment of players, is subjective......and with huge sums of money involved, its paramount that risk is reduced as much as possible.

The thumb rule of equating how many goals are scored and how many matches played, or what leagues they were scored in, may seem unsophisticated to some, but in the cold light of day, it works more than it doesn't.

Even when the statisticians produce goal scoring records for the elite strikers, part games and penalties are still thrown in to the pot.

Any player, with a good Goals to games percentage, by and large is a good striker, we don't need to over complicate it.

15 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

The same people run to the Mcginn thread when he's had one 'ok/good' game in 2 years and reply with 'some silly looking people here' or 'shut some up on here'. 

Romanticising players and Nostalgic memory's gets a bit embarrassing. 

I think there's the other issue that strikers and goal scorers are increasingly thin on the ground, we don't know that many striker options that can be recommended and talked about

Tammy is fairly obvious to suggest

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Passed his sell by date, imo. The game has moved on, it seems. 

too many clubs, too much compensation, nullifys the enthusiasm.

He is dining out , off his reputation, I think.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I haven't seen him play, but......

scored 7 goals in 54 games for Athletico..........?

Our guys numbers, are better than that.

Not seen that much of him but he drops in to the 10 role doesn't he? He's not a prolific 9 he's someone who can play attacking midfield with then runners past him, he's what Harry Kane wants to be rather than him being the goalscorer Harry Kane should be

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

I accept, There are many ways of looking at it....and exceptions to every rule

but if it walks and talks like Duck, its probably a duck.

Judgment of players, is subjective......and with huge sums of money involved, its paramount that risk is reduced as much as possible.

The thumb rule of equating how many goals are scored and how many matches played, or what leagues they were scored in, may seem unsophisticated to some, but in the cold light of day, it works more than it doesn't.

Even when the statisticians produce goal scoring records for the elite strikers, part games and penalties are still thrown in to the pot.

Any player, with a good Goals to games percentage, by and large is a good striker, we don't need to over complicate it.

I'd largely go with this too, the only exception really is when you have a player who is so important to the way a team plays the goals he scores aren't his primary role..... some people MIGHT say that about Watkins. I would agree if he always got 15 league goals.

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not seen that much of him but he drops in to the 10 role doesn't he? He's not a prolific 9 he's someone who can play attacking midfield with then runners past him, he's what Harry Kane wants to be rather than him being the goalscorer Harry Kane should be

Ok.

I like that emboldened bit, because it is so apt.

Maybe, I am old fashioned, but I don't subscribe to these players who play in one role, but claim to be good at another....its a cop out for me.

for me its simple....each player does what it says on the tin, and that creates a team.....its great to have players who can do everything, but they are like rocking horse manure, so it comes back to, do well, what your position dictates you do.

We have an absurd situation,now,  where a centre back is valued for stopping goals, and yet some appriase them, on their passing ability of a midfield creator.......its nuts to me......

A striker, who don't score regularly......." No but he runs the channels"...give me strength.

We need to sign players, with/for clearly defined roles.

Edited by TRO

If were after proven goalscorer, id try and tempt Firminho, whos out of contract in the summer so could be available cut price or free.   Hes what 30, so wed get at least a good 2 peak seasons from him............ think hes about the best we could get realistically

As a wildcard, id look at Belotti off the bench as well - we miss a good old fashioned target man who can get his head on the ball in the box.........

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Ok.

I like that emboldened bit, because it is so apt.

Maybe, I am old fashioned, but I don't subscribe to these players who play in one role, but claim to be good at another....its a cop out for me.

for me its simple....each player does what it says on the tin, and that creates a team.....its great to have players who can do everything, but they are like rocking horse manure, so it comes back to, do well, what your position dictates you do.

We have an absurd situation,now,  where a centre back is valued for stopping goals, and yet some appriase them, on their passing ability of a midfield creator.......its nuts to me......

A striker, who don't score regularly......." No but he runs the channels"...give me strength.

Sounds to me like cunha's skillset is dropping deep holding the ball up and then linking up with the players that run past him

Could work with Watkins and Bailey in a 3

That is a very modern thing in football, the goalscorers like Haaland and Lewandowski are dying out and being replaced by the likes of salah and mane, that's where the goals come from, of Bailey and Watkins get 10+ each and cunha gets 3 goals a season then does it matter really?

But that's how I think he plays

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Sounds to me like cunha's skillset is dropping deep holding the ball up and then linking up with the players that run past him

Could work with Watkins and Bailey in a 3

That is a very modern thing in football, the goalscorers like Haaland and Lewandowski are dying out and being replaced by the likes of salah and mane, that's where the goals come from, of Bailey and Watkins get 10+ each and cunha gets 3 goals a season then does it matter really?

But that's how I think he plays

I don't think they are dying out.....its trends, and what a manager, wants his style to be.....There are cases for both, traditional and deep lying centre forwards.....personally, I am a traditionalist and I like headed goals.

Teams across the world, in club or Internationals have varying styles, subsequently, varying types of players....There is no style fits all.

I get what you are saying, but I don't agree......someone/s has to take responsibilty for goal scoring.....I also accept Wengers view, teams score goals....but I would add, someone/s has to own that.

Jack doesn't score many, but I appreciate the skills he has got.....but it is now affecting his reputation, to a degree.....if you are a forward, of any description, you have to score to be rated highly.

I go back, to another of my posts.....we have to sign players, with clearly defined roles, and subsequently clearly defined objectives......too much woollyness, creates complacency and a lack of responsibility.