January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

With Traore coming back you can kiss goodbye to a forward coming in.

With a forward coming in you can kiss goodbye to a forward coming in.*

*Fixed for you

• Confused 1

The only real possibility of a signing that I can see is if Chelsea offload a fair few players.

Don't know why, but I still feel that a late move for Conor Gallagher could happen.

A loan with an option to buy could be perfect for us. Doesn't look like he'll be off to Newcastle as Chelsea won't let him go to a direct rival apparently.

2 minutes ago, Powehi said:

We've cleared out our subpar players and replaced our knacked striker with a hot young prospect. Upgraded our left back. Kept all our decent players. Been an OK window. You're just worrying over a hypothetical crisis.

Point 1- cleared sub-par players. Fine. 

Point 2- Replaced our Knackered Striker with a hot young prospect. Look if you cant see why we might not want to put all our eggs in one basket, then I really can't explain it any further. I'm not sure if you freewheel through life without any cares, but for most people having some sort of contingency against bad things occurring is prudent. More than prudent, necessary in most walks of life and in most jobs. 

Point 3- Upgraded left back- Fine.

Point 4- kept our decent players- fine. 

I know you are trying to bury the rotten apple in amongst the gold here, and I'm not asking for you to agree with me or anyone else with my view. Honestly I couldn't give a toss. But I do expect you to at least understand where we are coming from, in the same way as I understand where you are coming from, but don't agree about what levels of risk are responsible. And this is something i've not seen in a single one of your posts. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

Look, I don't know the ins and outs of the transfer business, so my opinions are vague.....but I see many other clubs doing business....so until, I know why we haven't bought to strengthen, I will remain sceptical.

The mood pre Transfer window, was bullish, so the proceedings/actions have not met that bullish mood....I think most fans will agree with that.

What we do in the Summer, is as clear as mud.....so the satisfaction folk glean from that, is all it is.

I understand what you’re saying but when Percy is saying the price for our targets was too high that’s good enough for me, and when you see the fees for some players it makes complete sense. I’m largely not happy with the window but willing to put faith in the summer, I’ll be shocked if Emery doesn’t get who he wants 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Powehi said:

We've cleared out our subpar players and replaced our knacked striker with a hot young prospect. Upgraded our left back. Kept all our decent players. Been an OK window. You're just worrying over a hypothetical crisis.

and i think also spent the highest we ever have in a January transfer window.

38 minutes ago, Powehi said:

I think if this window has told me anything, its that the transfer window can get in the bin as a concept. So sick of it. Emery's done the right thing here and the club is being slated because loads of fans are trying to keep up with the Joneses and spending money for the sake of it.

Sorry, but that is total Hyperbole.

We are trying to move forward, not backwards......UE is doing a great job, but he needs help, and that means stronger personnel.

Just as one example.....We could have known on January 1st that our possible main Target of Guendouzi wasn't coming.......We was well in advance of the Window for Kamara, so we are well aware of these timings.

I have no idea, what we have been doing during the month of  January, other than to suspect, we have not had plans to sign above Moreno & Duran.

I think maybe the journo's have been putting too many 2+2's together and coming up with 5.

I am not annoyed or angry, maybe disappointed, because, I simply don't know why the vibes before the window, have not materialised......maybe in the fullness of time, we will come to find out, who knows....but for me, I wasn't anticipating this.

Its like the joke floating around......."villa's getting Messi, oh thats their window, not the player"......Now, it may be a joke, but many a true word said in jest.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

If Lange/Purslow/Owners found the players they wanted to be too expensive this Transfer Window, they gonna have a shock in the summer that the players are the same price or even more. 
But don't worry we got Keinan Davis coming back.

That's a simplistic view of the differences between the January and Summer transfer windows.

My particular favourite targets, Matteo Guendouzi and Jonathan David are both playing for clubs who are busting a gut to qualify for the Champions League.

The kind of players that Emery is targeting will also be involved in their current clubs campaigns, which means that even if they were tempted to join Villa by AVFC's approaches or agents pressure, it's not up to them, it's up to their clubs.

The summer is a much more structured and elongated environment for both a club and its players to consider moves .... but you're bright enough to know that and just posted for effect as usual.

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

YYYYEEEESSSSSS!!!!! BERTY T IS BACK!!! 😁🪄🎩 

The mercurial magic man with his silky skills and box of tricks has returned and will be trained and coached by our top class manager!

A great option to have in the squad and he can improve and do better under Unai…

As I always say, he was a star in the lockdown season and provided some of the most memorable moments.

Wonderful skills and goals. He has talent in abundance that other players can only dream of… he just needs to be coached and instructed properly, then he’s a real asset and attacking threat. He can be taught to be more disciplined and better in his decision making…

I expect a lot more from the likes of Bailey but I don’t think BT is really inferior, just different and he gives us another option. He gives us more attacking nous and depth. I’m glad he’s back with us and not returning to Turkey.

I knew you'd be over the moon. lol

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

YYYYEEEESSSSSS!!!!! BERTY T IS BACK!!! 😁🪄🎩 

The mercurial magic man with his silky skills and box of tricks has returned and will be trained and coached by our top class manager!

A great option to have in the squad and he can improve and do better under Unai…

As I always say, he was a star in the lockdown season and provided some of the most memorable moments.

Wonderful skills and goals. He has talent in abundance that other players can only dream of… he just needs to be coached and instructed properly, then he’s a real asset and attacking threat. He can be taught to be more disciplined and better in his decision making…

I expect a lot more from the likes of Bailey but I don’t think BT is really inferior, just different and he gives us another option. He gives us more attacking nous and depth. I’m glad he’s back with us and not returning to Turkey.

I would love him back in the squad in Feb if we can. 

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I understand what you’re saying but when Percy is saying the price for our targets was too high that’s good enough for me, and when you see the fees for some players it makes complete sense. I’m largely not happy with the window but willing to put faith in the summer, I’ll be shocked if Emery doesn’t get who he wants 

I accept that.

But are you telling me, we didn't know that in early January....are you also telling me, every target was over priced, and we couldn't shift targets, was Dembele over priced?.....are you or Percy telling me other clubs are not faced with inflated prices.

I accept, some of the reasoning, in exchange for some of it being a cop out, too.

There are too many unknowns to form a firm debate.....but I am not comfortable, with everything being ok, sorry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Point 1- cleared sub-par players. Fine. 

Point 2- Replaced our Knackered Striker with a hot young prospect. Look if you cant see why we might not want to put all our eggs in one basket, then I really can't explain it any further. I'm not sure if you freewheel through life without any cares, but for most people having some sort of contingency against bad things occurring is prudent. More than prudent, necessary in most walks of life and in most jobs. 

Point 3- Upgraded left back- Fine.

Point 4- kept our decent players- fine. 

I know you are trying to bury the rotten apple in amongst the gold here, and I'm not asking for you to agree with me or anyone else with my view. Honestly I couldn't give a toss. But I do expect you to at least understand where we are coming from, in the same way as I understand where you are coming from, but don't agree about what levels of risk are responsible. And this is something i've not seen in a single one of your posts. 

I do understand where you and others are coming from, I've (probably rather naively) been spending hours trying to get you to see another view: namely, why it may not have been a disastrous window. All in the spirit of healthy debate.

The club keeps their cards close to their chest in relation to transfers, and goodness knows we all bear scars from previously mismanaged regimes. But I choose to believe that we know what we're doing with this one, and know the players that we have left are sufficient. As has been pointed out by others, we've extensively scouted Duran and he may fit the way we play better than Ings - who honestly hadn't been playing well prior to his departure.

Also, I do believe it is fair to criticise those in this thread saying "the club has got it wrong" etc. - we've had no indication from Emery and his team so far that they aren't across all areas of running a successful football operation, and maybe, just maybe, we should have a little faith.

Ironically, I work in risk management in my day job. Ultimately, I don't think we're going to change the others' mind, so I suppose the end of the season will be the time to judge whether the club have played it correctly.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

To be fair, it is looking more and more likely that everything is done for this window.

Unless you have some insider knowledge, that just sounds like a deadline feeling like a deadline. That's normal, isn't it? Things look "done" and they may well be.

Or not.

I really had thought that this would have been the January transfer window that would have had us all on the edge of our seats. Having identified our targets, we would then make it happen, but it looks like this is another one where our expectation levels have taken a beating. Once again, we will be watching other teams make late moves up until the cut off hour and we will have no horse in the race. We have the right manager now and we really have to back him big in the summer, which I'm confident we will. Perhaps if we had hired these two for 24 hours, they would have had the car park overflowing with new signings and their agents:

image.jpeg.774e80d226ac1d0d855d3ad5d21767d1.jpeg image.jpeg.496f3d32d774cb283e26778aeb8de8ed.jpeg In UE & our owners, we trust!

• Like 1