January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

8 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

You reckon?

I quite like him as a player, but £40M? Cripes.

Plus Chelsea are going to be under pressure to find squad places for all their players. They are gonna have to do better than that to offload, surely. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Newcastle, Palace, Villa?

Dyche wants 2 players in? That'll be Mee and......who's the tallest, least cultured striker in the league?

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

So we're in for Gallagher then? For what it's worth, I think he'd be a good signing at the right price. But what the f*** even is the right price anymore. £30m would get you a very good midfielder 18 months ago. Now it doesn't seem to go very far at all!

Doesn’t say more than we’ve expressed an interest. 

Just now, WallisFrizz said:

Doesn’t say more than we’ve expressed an interest. 

We have seemed to have expressed an interest in about 5,000 players this month…I hope we are preparing or at least contemplating preparing a bid for one of them (or whatever the media’s next step phrase is).

• Haha 1

I’d say that the difference between this January window and most January windows in the past, is that generally we’ve been buying from a position of weakness, either involved or on the edge of a relegation battle. This year we’re relatively strong. We’re buying to continue our forward momentum. 

So we’re not particularly desperate and have a head coach we trust to get the best out of what we already have. We’re looking for higher quality players so that makes it harder but we’re not in a survival battle for a change. 

If we can get our choices in, then all the better but the chances of players quickly settling in and making a big enough difference to get us a European spot aren’t that great. Although who knows with the Sultan at the helm. 

Just now, nick76 said:

We have seemed to have expressed an interest in about 5,000 players this month…I hope we are preparing or at least contemplating preparing a bid for one of them (or whatever the media’s next step phrase is).

finishing touches before launching

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

uh wow... glad we aren't in on this 

Ridiculous price to be paying. But when you're desperate the cost of relegation is much bigger. I assume it's a 6.5 year contract or something haha

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

Can see us being in for Gallagher. Brings energy and high tempo. Right up Emery's street. 

Not for £40m though, not close. 

Then we don’t get him.

I don’t think he’s a £40m player either but I don’t know what prices are these days, it just seems finger in the air.  If Emery wants him, I’m just going with it, if he doesn’t then I’ll go with that though.  Good player though!

14 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

So we're in for Gallagher then? For what it's worth, I think he'd be a good signing at the right price. But what the f*** even is the right price anymore. £30m would get you a very good midfielder 18 months ago. Now it doesn't seem to go very far at all!

Assume we've an interest yeah. We wouldn't pay the stupid desperation level of money Everton are offering. 

Forty million for Conor Gallagher doesn't seem all that ridiculous to me relatively speaking, Bristol City want £25m for Alex Scott, you can bet if Iroegbunam was leaving us we'd want similar for him, if Chukwuemeka had more years left on his contract he would have cost way more than £20m, and Gallager is proven at Premier League level.

if Ramsey was to leave us we would want way more than forty million.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BOF said:

@CVByrne & @skarroki yep good posts and fair points. I'm not suggesting doom and gloom by any account. It's just a mild numbers concern but I think you've got that anyway.

Definitely share that concern with you, I agree with all your points I was more just putting across the other side of the argument. I'm really on the fence but am probably falling the way of the "quiet deadline day".

I was loving a good moan about how bloated and unbalanced our squad was in the summer after deadline day, with the likes of Bednarek and Dendoncker showing up, so I don't think it would wash with anyone I talk football to if I now decide to say we don't have enough numbers! 

I see it as Ings the only real miss. Sanson, Nakamba, Guilbert, Bednarek et al (probably forgotten someone but that kind of adds to my point) - these weren't getting minutes and Ings was unlikely to get many minutes.

We've brought in a promising striker for a lot of money so I'd rather test him off the bench instead of giving Ings bit-part playing time for maybe £100k a week more. Augustinson has been replaced with a better player (hopefully) and anyone coming in on loan now is just going to take minutes off someone or fill in a gap in the XI. I don't really see an obvious gap in the XI barring injury, so again I don't want another loan option brought in who will sit on the bench and leave in 4 months. 

Having said that, whoever comes in will get 110% support from me and I do have faith still that the club know what they're doing and are going in the right direction. 

• Like 1