January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

16 minutes ago, Tayls said:

This thought process just doesn’t make that much sense to me… why wait? So many benefits with doing it sooner rather than later. If it’s a case of us trying desperately to bring these players to the club and they are saying no, why would they come in five months time? We might finish the season terribly now (we probably won’t) and we’ll look even less attractive than if we go for it and try to finish 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th.
I agree we don’t need squad fillers. 

Players we’ve been after might not want to leave mid season. I’d don’t thing we’ll be any less attractive in summer, we aren’t going to finish much lower than we currently are.

32 minutes ago, useless said:

West Ham being linked with Callum Chambers.

I'd be up for this normally but we will struggle to get a bench out soon.

I'd say save the outgoings for the summer now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I think he offers something different to those players you mentioned....it's hard to say better, when they are different.

for some time, I have thought our players are too samey, that doesn't mean they are bad....its a 25 man squad, and managers have to have varying styles to change tactics.

Its opinions of course....I like busy players.

Kamara is a defensive player with good passing, Luiz is a creative playmaker, McGinn is a workhorse, Ramsey is a ball carrier.  They all play completely different roles.

I agree that he is different to all the above, but he's not as good as any of them at what they do which makes him at best a bench warmer, and Chelsea will be looking for 40m for him, which would be a complete waste.

He's mediocre at best.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't particularly agree.....I like Ramsey, don't get me wrong, but hasn't got the intensity or pressing appetite of Gallagher, he doesn't snap at the heels like CG.....JJ is more direct and a ball carrier.....not the same for me, both have endearing qualities.

Gallagher doesn't carry the ball like AJ does either.  He is better defensively than AJ but not as good going forward.  He's somewhere between Kamara and Luiz in terms of style without being as good as either.

1 minute ago, flashingqwerty said:

Gallagher doesn't carry the ball like AJ does either.  He is better defensively than AJ but not as good going forward.  He's somewhere between Kamara and Luiz in terms of style without being as good as either.

Gallagher replaces McGinn really. Scored 8 goals last season in premier league. Has McGinn scored that in total since we came up?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Hyperbole.

Even looking at Gallagher's Crystal Palace stays, JJs numbers are 15-20% better in those areas, Gallagher also conceded a lot more fouls and 3 more yellow cards.

The stats just don't back up what you're saying I'm afraid.

29 minutes ago, Rolta said:

He has three goals, one more in the prem than Jack Grealish, and he's been playing in a barely functional football team. He's clearly a good player—you can see that if you watch more than his stats. They didn't buy him by accident. And Chelsea didn't want him in the summer by accident either.

He's got as many goals for Everton as Buendia has for us, and half the folks on here believe Buendia is shit. (I don't, I think he's talented but needs a lot of coaching from someone who knows what they're doing). 

Either way, though, that is not a great return, and absolutely not worth 45 million of his majesty's pounds.

Hard pass. 

35 minutes ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

The fella there has clearly done some statistical gymnastics there to try and make Thiago look like the best midfielder in the league, but it doesn't match up with the actual statistics.

Declan Rice leads the league with 189 recoveries. Ramsey is back in tied 123rd place with 69 (nice). He's only 5th among Villa midfielders even.

The stats are for CMs, I.e. defensive actions by non-DMs. That probably does involve some exclusions of players that maybe shouldn't be. But I just thought it was interesting to see Ramsey there in all of those stats for what would be counted as his "peers" so to speak

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Yunus Musah would be the perfect signing as can play a winger or a midfielder, and what's unique about him is that when he plays as a winger he looks like a winger not a midfielder playing on the wing, and when he plays in midfield he looks like a midfielder not a winger playing out of position, and could surely play in the half midfield half wing role that Emery sometimes has the likes of McGInn and Ramsey playing.

Have we been linked to Munsah or is it just a player you'd like us to sign?

Gordon is terrifying for defenders, a player who runs with great pace with the ball, can go inside or out. 

It's not all about stats. If Clavert-Lewin wasn't crocked or they had another finisher, his stats would look better. 

He's got years of development too, this is a great signing for Newcastle. 

Hopefully he goes more into a Dwight McNeil but I don't see it. 

Edited by Wezbid
Pace, not peace, although he does glide peacefully.

10 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Gordon is terrifying for defenders, a player who runs with great peace with the ball, can go inside or out. 

It's not all about stats. If Clavert-Lewin wasn't crocked or they had another finisher, his stats would look better. 

He's got years of development too, this is a great signing for Newcastle. 

Hopefully he goes more into a Dwight McNeil but I don't see it. 

I agree. Would have loved him at Villa.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yes in September 2020.

He played regularly last season and scored the winner in europa conference final so if we want to be back in europe in next 2-3 years and competitive in one of the competitions these are the types we need to be considering.

Roma supposed to be signing Dusan Tadic as his replacement so he'll be joining someone in next 48 hours.

Deulofeu did his ACL aswell around same time and could've easily signed him but for his current injuries. 

2 or 3 season ago there was genuine hope at Roma that he'd be the next Totti - i.e. the player that they would base their entire team around for the next 10 years.  The fact that he could leave the club without the fans going into complete meltdown tells you everything you need to know about the level of risk involved in any deal with him.  Brilliant player at his best but alarm bells are ringing all over the place that Roma are considering letting him go (and not because they think they can get a ridiculous amount of money for him to fund a rebuild).

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I hope not, twitter’s @TaylorMods has been utterly unbearable for the past week.

As a Villa fan, I’m kind of embarrassed by how many idiots and miserable gits we have in our fanbase, online platforms like Twitter and Facebook have just exposed them. Maybe I was naive in thinking our supporters weren’t quite as bad or foolish as some others…

Too many go too far aswell… that’s what bothers me rather than those who can construct or form an opinion that may be viewed as overly negative or pessimistic. As long as said person shares it sensibly without resorting to pettiness or idiocy (or worse, I’ve never understood why people feel the need to resort to personal attacks and foul language either) then it’s fine and constructive criticism is healthy… but making stuff up isn’t! There have to be genuine reasons for positivity too otherwise there’d just be dreamers and no realists…

I’ve seen some disgusting language and aggression at times. It really is pathetic & embarrassing, some people need to grow up and develop a brain…

Whisper it quietly but there is more to life than football/sport… more that’s worthy of getting worked up about too…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1