January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

You mean nearly twice as many as Watkins? Look I know what you mean, and I'm all for a shake up. I know UE knows what he's doing, but Danny was a good goalscorer. Perhaps our only decent finisher, and that's worth something. Certainly more than 'he's crap cos he didn't score against Stevenage' when literally everyone was crap that day. 

If you honestly think that Ings was anywhere near as important as Watkins is to our team and system, then I don't know what to tell you. 

And I have never said that Ings was 'crap' - do not put words in my mouth. 

• Like 1

Makes it all very strange that we let Cameron Archer on loan .....bit surprised at Danny going to wet spam tbh

Obvs the manager has infinitely more experience and knowledge about footy management than me but we really need to be able to score goals to win them ! hopefully he has got someone lined up....I am waiting by the phone but at 64 probably not going to get the call.

VTID

3 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Ings for Deulofeu is my assumption 

I wouldn't really get that if we did.

He's been injured since mid November for a start. We saw last season with Bailey it's not a good idea to expect players coming off injury lay offs to come back and fire us into europe. Bailey needed a proper pre season before he did anything for us.

Deulofeu's best football in England aswell has always come as LW in a front 3. At Watford it was him-Deeney-Sarr as the front 3 so just sticking him at CF is too risky. I just thought it was a signing to boost our wide options in the squad as we have very few natural ones who can play out there.

We need someone proven up there even if it's just a six month loan deal.

Just now, delboy54 said:

Makes it all very strange that we let Cameron Archer on loan .....bit surprised at Danny going to wet spam tbh

Obvs the manager has infinitely more experience and knowledge about footy management than me but we really need to be able to score goals to win them ! hopefully he has got someone lined up....I am waiting by the phone but at 64 probably not going to get the call.

VTID

Ya think?!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

To be fair, in the summer after getting Carlos and Kamara we were told by many not to panic that we weren’t getting more in and people were doing comments like above and don’t worry more quality would come in….nothing happened and on deadline day we made desperate moves for Dendoncker and Bednarek so pardon my worry because recent history shows there could be reason to worry.  It’s not just Emery, it’s Lange and Purslow involved so forgive my hesitation given their history.

purslow just want s to sell and not replace

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Like I said, I don't want to slag the guy off and appreciate that he did some good stuff for us but this deal was a no brainer when you look at the overall context of the transfer.

Yeah no argument. It's great business financially

Just now, lexicon said:

If you honestly think that Ings was anywhere near as important as Watkins is to our team and system, then I don't know what to tell you. 

And I have never said that Ings was 'crap' - do not put words in my mouth. 

OK retracted, but what good is a system if you don't score goals? 

We're 22 goals in 19 games, which puts us 14th in terms of goals scored. 3 of those were scored by strikers currently on our books. 

6 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

How we doing on our homegrown quota now that Ings has left? 

Apart from the under 21s I have them down as:

Watkins

Cash

Young

Konsa 

Mings

Chambers

Martinez?

J Ramsey as well.  Can’t think of anymore off the top of my head.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I am assuming we have a plan to replace Ings.. wouldn't make much sense to to rely on Duran just yet. 

Duran is an Archer replacement for this season. No idea why people are expecting him to come in straight away and score 10 +. MLS to prem is a very big step up. Took Almiron over two years to do anything at Newcastle and he was a very good player in MLS and had far more experience at international level aswell.

We don't half put huge expectations on young signings sometimes on here and then wonder why they take months to settle in.

I see Duran no different to Chelsea signing Fofana from Norway. They signed Felix aswell so got the mix of forwards right in final third.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Agreed but 3 goals in 188 mins under Emery is impressive. He basically won us the game against Brighton

I think that's the thing. Ollie was ill on the eye of that game so we had a proven striker as back up and he came in and played a massive part in a very good win down there.

Ollie is sick overnight on Friday...just putting Bailey and Buendia up there and crossing fingers dosen't quite have the same feel to me.

Reminds me of the time when all our forwards were injured and we had Trez and AEG attempting to be CFs with limited success. 

• Like 1