January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

I think any winger will need to be able to play as forward - that's the only real opportunity, one of the two forwards gets wide at any time, Bailey is doing that really well at the moment.

The midfield is a square, we don't have wide midfielders.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think any winger will need to be able to play as forward - that's the only real opportunity, one of the two forwards gets wide at any time, Bailey is doing that really well at the moment.

Maybe there’s more to the Danjuma link then?

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Agree with the current logic but UE has constantly talked about different profiles to what we have. A classic winger (although that’s what I would class Bailey as) would give us more options and with our squad being so imbalanced in regards to width and pace. Reckon UE would feel he could use a winger in the Bailey role but I agree that there would have to be some decent finishing ability present. 

If Duran is one for the future, I think we need one more signing and a couple of outs to be a decent window.  Out of a cm and a winger I'd  definitely prefer the latter, someone to stretch the opposition a but more. Both would be a really good window, providing a  bit more depth and the chance go evolve the team and see how other existing players adapt.

18 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think you are probably right but we played 4-2-3-1 on Friday so I think Emery wants options. At the moment we don’t have anyone who can play left wing (if Bailey plays right) so Danjuma makes a bit of sense. 

9 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I think you are probably right but we played 4-2-3-1 on Friday so I think Emery wants options. At the moment we don’t have anyone who can play left wing (if Bailey plays right) so Danjuma makes a bit of sense. 

We played 4-2-2-2 on Friday.

Bailey plays as a very wide striker, but there's a narrow midfielder behind him.

It sort of ended up looking like this, but with Moreno charging up the left hand side.

------------------Watkins----------------------Bailey-------

------------Ramsey--------------Buendia------------------

-----------------Kamara--------Luiz-------------------------=

Width on the left is provided by the full back with the right hand striker drifting wide - that works with Bailey as he's naturally suited to it and Moreno gives us that bit more attacking creativity from full back. It's a sort of uneven formation but smart.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Looks an exciting prospect from the bits I've seen, slightly confused as to how he's going to get a work permit though, he's only made a few international appearances and I can't imagine he'd come in and be one of our top earners straight away, so I'll be interested to see how we get around that...

Is it different now we are not in the EU?

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

We played 4-2-2-2 on Friday.

Bailey plays as a very wide striker, but there's a narrow midfielder behind him.

It sort of ended up looking like this, but with Moreno charging up the left hand side.

------------------Watkins----------------------Bailey-------

------------Ramsey--------------Buendia------------------

-----------------Kamara--------Luiz-------------------------=

Width on the left is provided by the full back with the right hand striker drifting wide - that works with Bailey as he's naturally suited to it and Moreno gives us that bit more attacking creativity from full back. It's a sort of uneven formation but smart.

Yeah disagree with that, but football opinions etc. 

Was a noticeable change in formation for me with Buendia more advanced and holding his position in the centre and Bailey noticeably deeper and wider. 

But little bit of semantics really as these things are pretty fluid these days. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Only for EU nationality players, so no different in this case. I'm no expert on these things though, my understanding is there's a points based system and you can gain points according to certain criteria, but I've no idea how many points he'd be eligible for, hopefully enough!

Actually thinking about it, it's probably more difficult for non-EU players to get a permit than it used to be, as before they could use second nationalities from the EU that would pretty much guarantee a permit and that's no longer the case.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think a wide forward would be very welcome - someone in the Bailey mode. 

At the moment our options are Watkins (injured), Ings (future unclear), Bailey and before too long, Duran.

I think another one would be welcome.

Another player with the surname Duran would be perfect. 

• Haha 2

Wonder if some of the add-ons are actually not achievable, stuff like ballon d'Or winner, reason I say that is because making the transfer fee higher helps with visa doesn't it?

Edited by pete101
Meant for Duran thread
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Another player with the surname Duran would be perfect. 

A quick look at Transfermarkt and apparently Anderlecht has a very promising 16 y.o kid named Juilen Duranville. That's so very nearly perfect.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Only for EU nationality players, so no different in this case. I'm no expert on these things though, my understanding is there's a points based system and you can gain points according to certain criteria, but I've no idea how many points he'd be eligible for, hopefully enough!

Actually thinking about it, it's probably more difficult for non-EU players to get a permit than it used to be, as before they could use second nationalities from the EU that would pretty much guarantee a permit and that's no longer the case.

It’s not easy to find clear and up to date information but he must be scoring points for youth internationals since his senior appearances for Colombia were in friendlies.

I think he has 6 or 7 points from domestic leagues and 5 or 7 from youth internationals so it will go to an exceptions panel that we should win. If not we’ll have to send him on loan.

55 minutes ago, Adman said:

I’m not sure he’d come back, especially now we are out of the cups. Shame too as he was doing okay before that awful injury. That said, silver lining was Martinez coming in as a result.

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

It isn't different for non EU players but it is different for EU players.

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

It's different for both EU and non-EU players. I summarised the rules as briefly as I could in the first post of this thread: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1