Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

2 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

Win the games in bold (maybe substitute spurs for one), then pick up another couple of points here and there...

5 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses = 61 points

Spurs and Liverpool are more likely wins at this moment than Brentford and Brighton. 

I remember when we used to get back to The Ben Johnson and later the Turks Head and the TV teletext was left on with the league table on it, showing us proudly sitting on top of the league. Today has a bit of that feel about it. Its nice to see Liverpool and Chelsea below us again. Look behind you those currently above us.....

We're Coming For You And I'm Not Joking !! - Donald Trump - The Joker |  Make a Meme

43 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

Win the games in bold (maybe substitute spurs for one), then pick up another couple of points here and there...

5 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses = 61 points

I thought we all agreed that we want 9 wins, 71 points and CL football next season. Why be sensible and spoil the fun, when we can be living in dreamland for a while longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Going on the evidence in front of us though...top 4 can be thought about next season. That'll be very hard with regular midweek games.

top 4 is still a way off IMO. arsenal and city basically take 2 places straight away. spurs, chelsea and liverpool won't be this bad next season. then throw utd and newcastle in there too. it will be VERY difficult...midweek games or no midweek games. at least in the conference league the midweek games are MUCH easier so can heavily rotate the team and as i said, we would build a squad that can cope with it whilst also utilising the youngsters we have rather than loaning them out.

put it this way, i doubt the likes of ollie and emi would see many minutes in the conference league...at least in the early stages

9 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

top 4 is still a way off IMO. arsenal and city basically take 2 places straight away. spurs, chelsea and liverpool won't be this bad next season. then throw utd and newcastle in there too. it will be VERY difficult...

Thing is the same could've been said about Arsenal making the top 4 this season, let alone winning the league. Newcastle have been radically improved by coaching over big money signings and now look a shoo-in for top 4. You just never know what can happen given the right circumstances. We carry on as we are with a couple of high class signings over summer, we have every chance of being in the mix just as Leicester found themselves to be.

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

With that logic, CL can be in the way. An extra 6 games in the autumn against Sheriff, PSV and Borussia. We would likely get knocked out at some point, and then we land at Europa League level. 

European football, in whatever shape, is not a punishment but a reward. 

I would take finishing 3rd in the CL group stage, then going to the EL. You just know that Unai will win the EL.

18 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

spurs, chelsea and liverpool won't be this bad next season. then throw utd and newcastle in there too. it will be VERY difficult...

Hmm. Maybe. Equally Spurs look dead from the top down, absolutely disaster. Chelsea - we don’t know how the new ownership will manage anything, but so far everything they’ve touched has turned to shit. Liverpool I think will improve - but it’s not impossible Klopp walks. Newcastle continue to impress but we will see how far Howe takes them. United - Ten Hag is doing well but let’s face it they haven’t matched our form since Emery came in.

I agree top four is VERY hard but I think some of those teams - especially Spurs - could be just as bad next season. 

2 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Will 60 be enough to get us into Europe?

image.png.ff587502d45f2e535d8ccd40fd8e991b.png

Projected points totals based on this season's PPG of current manager for remainder of season. (Spurs based full season to date.)

60 should definitely give us a chance, but Brentford and Liverpool could always pick up form. But then Brighton or Spurs could drop off.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

top 4 is still a way off IMO. arsenal and city basically take 2 places straight away. spurs, chelsea and liverpool won't be this bad next season. then throw utd and newcastle in there too. it will be VERY difficult...midweek games or no midweek games. at least in the conference league the midweek games are MUCH easier so can heavily rotate the team and as i said, we would build a squad that can cope with it whilst also utilising the youngsters we have rather than loaning them out.

put it this way, i doubt the likes of ollie and emi would see many minutes in the conference league...at least in the early stages

Looking fairly likely now that Emery will finish with a better record than Howe had in his first season. Don't see any reason why we can't be up there next season given the opportunity to add to the squad this summer.

So are people sure if West Ham won the Conference League 7th won’t get you to Europe? It’s not a league cup or FA, it should be dealt as EL winners, they’re added to the 4 teams rather than the other way round. So they’re probably added to the other 2 playing in EL. 

43 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

image.png.ff587502d45f2e535d8ccd40fd8e991b.png

Projected points totals based on this season's PPG of current manager for remainder of season. (Spurs based full season to date.)

60 should definitely give us a chance, but Brentford and Liverpool could always pick up form. But then Brighton or Spurs could drop off.

Knowing our luck we'd finish 7th yet West Ham will win conference and we'll miss out.

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

I thought we all agreed that we want 9 wins, 71 points and CL football next season. Why be sensible and spoil the fun, when we can be living in dreamland for a while longer.

Oh don’t get me wrong, after all the rubbish we’ve been through over the last few years I’m loving the positivity 

25 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

So are people sure if West Ham won the Conference League 7th won’t get you to Europe? It’s not a league cup or FA, it should be dealt as EL winners, they’re added to the 4 teams rather than the other way round. So they’re probably added to the other 2 playing in EL. 

The rule say:

The UEFA Europa Conference League titleholder is admitted to the UEFA Europa League group stage. If the UEFA Europa Conference League titleholder qualifies for the UEFA Europa Conference League through one of its domestic competitions, the number of places to which its association is entitled in the UEFA Europa Conference League is decreased by one. The created vacancy is filled accordingly with priority for the UEFA Europa Conference League given to domestic cup winners (in accordance with the entry stage as per the access list).

In other word, West Ham have to win the Conference League and get 7th place, then England doesn’t get a team in Conference League.

7 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Brighton have a really tough run in, as do we. They still have to play arsenal at home, and  Newcastle away and city at home as their extra fixtures, the last game of the season could really be a European football decider 

Ohh I didn't know that. Makes their 2 games in hand slightly less daunting now. Draw with Newcastle would be ideal, as well as a tonking by City. 

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

Imagine if we actually did that and pushed Newcastle out the top 4. Scenes! Emery would get the keys to the city and be allowed to borrow any villa fans' wife he chooses. 

Tottenham could well be pivotal to how this all shakes out. They still have to play Newcastle, Manchester United, Liverpool, Brighton (this weekend), Brentford as well as us. We have to play all those teams too, including Tottenham, so there's going to be a lot of points dropped between all the teams in the race. I don't really see anyone pulling clear (apart from us because Super Unai Emery is going to win our remaining 9 games!)