Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

24 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yep agree, such patchy form according to some on here

Great results for sure but the games against Fulham and Brentford was far from comfortable.

We've had margins go our way during this run and it's important to aknowledge that.

We're not going to keep getting the rub of the green. Will balance itself out unless our performances starts to improve.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Great results for sure but the games against Fulham and Brentford was far from comfortable.

Exactly how comfortable should we be in games against top-half PL teams having their best seasons in living memory?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Exactly how comfortable should we be in games against top-half PL teams having their best seasons in living memory?

Which is why we need to be realistic to where we are.

Our results can paint a wrong picture of how good we are in reality.

Results under Emery has us in top 4 but we are nowhere that level, yet.

7 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Which is why we need to be realistic to where we are.

Our results can paint a wrong picture of how good we are in reality.

Results under Emery has us in top 4 but we are nowhere that level, yet.

My point is that even top 4 teams don’t look comfortable in every game. Brentford, to use one of the teams in your example, took points off Arsenal and Spurs and BEAT Man City and Man United this season. However good we get we will never always look comfortable so it’s a tricky yardstick to use.

6 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

My point is that even top 4 teams don’t look comfortable in every game. Brentford, to use one of the teams in your example, took points off Arsenal and Spurs and BEAT Man City and Man United this season. However good we get we will never always look comfortable so it’s a tricky yardstick to use.

But if you keep having 50/50 games there is only so much you can keep edging it.

Man City, Arsenal, Newcastle and Man Utd have all won big quite a lot this season. It's why they are where they are.

We're not there yet, but it's what we need to strive for.

We smashed up Newcastle by being super aggressive and going at them. But how do we get that level of performance consistently?

Edited by Pinebro

56 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

We've had margins go our way during this run and it's important to aknowledge that.

We're not going to keep getting the rub of the green. Will balance itself out unless our performances starts to improve.

Fulham was comfortable they didn’t look like scoring in a month of Tuesdays. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

But if you keep having 50/50 games there is only so much you can keep edging it.

Man City, Arsenal, Newcastle and Man Utd have all won big quite a lot this season. It's why they are where they are.

We're not there yet, but it's what we need to strive for.

We smashed up Newcastle by being super aggressive and going at them. But how do we get that level of performance consistently?

I get where you are coming from as several of those games we won we maybe rode our luck a little.  But isn’t that what good teams do?  We’re very much a work in progress still.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I get where you are coming from as several of those games we won we maybe rode our luck a little.  But isn’t that what good teams do?

At times.

Not most weeks.

18 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

At times.

Not most weeks.

True but let’s not forget what he is working with. He’s turned a midtable squad in to a top 4 contender (based on his games). Wait until he gets some more of his own players in. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

We should be conceding fewer than 0 shots on target, obviously!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Yeah but there is a difference between patchy form and what we are doing.  We’ve had some fabulous form and now we are having just good form.  

A deflected goal defeat against Utd at the notoriously hard Old Trafford.  The rub didn’t go our way that day…potential penalty for us, Dougies double shot with final clearance from Lindelof off the line yet Utd get rub of the green as Bruno’s goal deflected meaning Emi couldn’t save given the direction he was going.  

Fulham was comfortable to me, they never looked like scoring and we could’ve just as easily won 2-0 as 1-0.

Brentford again have been very tough at home so 1-1 was a decent result and a fair one on the day.

So to me we haven’t been getting the rub of the green, even Newcastle, the 3-0 flattered them given the chances we had, it could’ve been 3-0 by half time.  So really imo we’ve been about right, aside from Old Trafford where we didn’t get the run of the green.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah but there is a difference between patchy form and what we are doing.  We’ve had some fabulous form and now we are having just good form.  

A deflected goal defeat against Utd at the notoriously hard Old Trafford.  The rub didn’t go our way that day…potential penalty for us, Dougies double shot with final clearance from Lindelof off the line yet Utd get rub of the green as Bruno’s goal deflected meaning Emi couldn’t save given the direction he was going.  

Fulham was comfortable to me, they never looked like scoring and we could’ve just as easily won 2-0 as 1-0.

Brentford again have been very tough at home so 1-1 was a decent result and a fair one on the day.

So to me we haven’t been getting the rub of the green, even Newcastle, the 3-0 flattered them given the chances we had, it could’ve been 3-0 by half time.  So really imo we’ve been about right, aside from Old Trafford where we didn’t get the run of the green.

Here is our xG under Unai which is quite interesting.

Our points total is 42 while our expected points total is  only 29 which over a season would put us around 8th - 9th.

Our form obviously has been brilliant but when Unai analyze this period he will understand our performances still has lots of room to improve.

xG.jpg

I've lost a lot of faith in xG since I found out it doesn't take into account who the goal opportunity came to. So Ali Dia one on one with the keeper is the same xG as Haaland. or a 25 yard free kick being taken by Beckham or Ward-Prowse is the same as Richard Dunne taking it.

Seems like a weakness in the data to me

34 minutes ago, nick76 said:

and 5 of those 7 games are against the Top 4 and us.

I have my doubs whether they have the squad big enough to deal with that volume of games in such a shirt space of time

• Like 1