Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

3 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

As a very aged supporter (65 next month!) of the Villa, having seen a few "ups" but more "downs" over the 55 years I have been able to see them play. I am still not counting my chickens until the final whistle next week.

It concerns me that many are assuming that we will win as Brighton will be on the beach (well it is literally all the time I suppose!). We still have to win and Brighton are a good team. I will not be able to look forward to any European adventures until we are at least 4 nil up with 1 minute to play....

All this talk of where the final is going to be etc I know is just banter but it could all come back and bite us in the arse....it would be the typical "Villa way"...I have seen it so many times..... 1 nil up and they equalise in the last minute of the game...........and we lose out due to results elsewhere.

Am I alone in thinking that its not going to be an easy game against Brighton?.......

VTID

Brighton are a tough team, no doubt. They're 6th for a reason. BUT, they've been wildly inconsistent the past few games AND they have to play Man City on Wednesday. Complacency could set in if they gather a draw which cements their 6th place finish, fatigue could set in if they're given a tough game. We get a week prep and a home game where a win gives us Europe. I know who I'm betting on.

• Like 1

Fatigue won't set in for Brighton though, they have shown in the last 5 - 8 games that they are able to rotate.

I don't expect their big hitters like Caicedo, Mitoma, McAllister to start against City.

They will be rested for our game.

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Fatigue won't set in for Brighton though, they have shown in the last 5 - 8 games that they are able to rotate.

I don't expect their big hitters like Caicedo, Mitoma, McAllister to start against City.

They looked pretty knackered against Newcastle and got tanked 4-1.

13 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Am I alone in thinking that its not going to be an easy game against Brighton?.......

VTID

No, you’re not.

But as you of course know, if we’re going to try and get into Europe, if we’re going to try and win trophies, we’re likely going to have to face and beat good teams in order to do that.

So to an extent there’s always going to be an uncertainty going into these games which we’ll have to get used to if we want success because the opposition will naturally be difficult.

We match up fairly well against Brighton. Since being back up we’ve picked up 4 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat. Ironically enough, the one season we didn’t beat them (1 draw, 1 defeat) was the only season we finished ahead of them in the league.

It likely won’t be a walk in the (villa) park. But I think IF Villa are on it on the day, IF we play as well we can and have done this season, we’ll win.

• Like 1

Fatigued or not, they have less time to prepare for the game than we do. Add to the fact they are home and dry in 6th, and also we've won our last 6 home games conceding only 1 penalty goal to Harry Kane the cheat.  We'll beat them. I'm certain.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I think they’ll go for it v Citeh , the league is done for them they have other things to concentrate on now

12 minutes ago, Chine said:

I think they’ll go for it v Citeh , the league is done for them they have other things to concentrate on now

Hmmm typical they beat citeh, and then full of confidence trounce us at home!!!

38 minutes ago, Chine said:

This literally doesn't make any sense.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Hold on...can we still get Europa from 7th? Just seen that if the FA Cup winners finish in a CL spot (very likely), Europa positions drop to 7th?!

No. Nope. No. No sir, No sireee. This may have been covered in the thread before. Possibly. I have a hunch weve had this come up before. Noey noey no no. Dast kann nicht happen. Non. Pas de tout! Impossible! It. is. not. possible.

No. 

No.

Just now, Tom13 said:

Ignore this...

too late ;) 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Brighton will be shattered come Sunday plus most likely will have nothing to play for. We really should be winning comfortably and I have no doubt that we will.  

Yes we will beat them