Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

24 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Don’t be, whatever happens is a massive bonus.

We get 6th and we’ll be bouncing over the rooftops

We get 7th, it’s fantastic and we have a great chance of a cup next season, a season of getting used to all the extra games, expand the squad etc

We get 8th, a brilliant 2nd half to the season, highest points total for over a decade I think, respected in the league again, attractive to new quality recruits and the ability next season to focus solely on the league and European spots next season.

Win, win, win!  It’s all upside whatever happens the next two games…

Great post - just to add that for 8th, we can also really go for one of the domestic cups too as an added bonus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

We get 7th, it’s fantastic and we have a great chance of a cup next season, a season of getting used to all the extra games, expand the squad etc

We get 8th, a brilliant 2nd half to the season, highest points total for over a decade I think, respected in the league again, attractive to new quality recruits and the ability next season to focus solely on the league and European spots next season.

Agree completely! I hope we get to Europe but if we don't, we get another season to build our depth and push for Europe again from a much stronger base. It's the most exciting time to be a Villa fan since at least the MON years, arguably in the Premier League era.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, picicata said:

The real problem there is that Southampton are shit

Qué sera, sera

True but anything is possible in the PL. Just four weeks ago Southampton were injury time away from beating Arsenal 3-2 at the Emirates but conceded a late goal but still got a draw, in fact they were 3-1 up at the 87 minute.   They are rubbish but the beauty of the PL is anything can happen in a single game, however unlikely it is.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

True but anything is possible in the PL. Just four weeks ago Southampton were injury time away from beating Arsenal 3-2 at the Emirates but conceded a late goal but still got a draw, in fact they were 3-1 up at the 87 minute.   They are rubbish but the beauty of the PL is anything can happen in a single game, however unlikely it is.

Don't get me wrong, I continue to hope and will certainly be watching out for the scoreline 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

We get 9th or 10th and it's an absolute **** disaster. Alemany out, Purslow out.

Brighton could lose all their remaining games. They have injuries and fatigue has kicked in. They are having to play a lot of games in a short space of time and you can see they are trying to rotate but the quality in the squad just isn’t there. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, RichW said:

Knowing Brighton they will slip up against Southampton but then go and beat Man City next week 😒

This is my concern. City players will be celebrating still. Hopefully Pep keeps them focused for remaining league games.

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

And 9th when Brentford win their last two games? :D 

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

And 9th when Brentford win their last two games? :D 

I don’t think they will because even City’s second team in second gear will beat Brentford especially with no Toney.

But

If we end up 9th, it’s still a great season as we are top half, great second half of the season, amazing haul of points by Emery and bright for next season and recruitment.  Obviously slight disappointment just dropping a place at this late stage but in the big picture, a fabulous turnaround and great future.

We need to beat Liverpool, no sisters and brothers I prove to you that there's another way, the good thing is that there are three games this weekend in which a 'surprise result' would help us.

We need a surprise result at the weekend to leave us still with a good chance of Europe going into last game of the season.

The good thing is that there are three games in which a surprise result would help us.

Either us beating Liverpool, Southampton beating Brighton, or Brentford beating Tottenham.

Any of those results happen and we go into last day of the season with top seven still a possibility

Doesn't even have to be a win, if any of us, Brentford, or Southampton can get a draw this weekend then puts us in a good position going into last game of the season.

In Brighton's case I'm presuming that they lose to Man City

If we don't get Europe can't really complain, we've had to show top four form just to get this far.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

Can’t be stressed enough. With the summer rebuild we are going to be in Europe within the next season. Onwards and upwards under Don Unai. 

• Like 1

I've done a nice treble for the weekend. Spurs / Liverpool / Brighton all to win.

If the bet fails we will go into the final day with a chance of Europe. (might need to bet on Brighton against City thoyugh)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

I've done a nice treble for the weekend. Spurs / Liverpool / Brighton all to win.

If the bet fails we will go into the final day with a chance of Europe. (might need to bet on Brighton against City thoyugh)

I might do that bet as well, as I never get bets up it will surely fail.