Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Toney banned just in time for Spurs. Surely it would be better for the integrity of the league for the ban to have come into place after the season ends

He will return part way through next season. So some teams will play against him next season and some won’t. It’s inevitable with any suspension that there will be a gain for some and not for others. I don’t see it as an integrity issue per se. But the whole delay and timing has been very strange.

In terms of the race for yurp, it obviously hinders Brentford and helps Spuds, on paper at least, but if Brentford lose it helps us maybe finish above them for sure and get a bit more cash as a result. Win both our games and who cares?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Surely it would be better for the integrity of the league

That’s where your argument was lost on the people who make the decisions.

Plus worrying about when a Brentford player gets banned when they have to sort out whether Man City are fined £2m or possibly go to £3m, isn’t high on their agenda. 

• Like 1

I think we should think about a playoff for CL where 4th and 5th play 6th and 7th and home advantage to highest placed league finish. 

But from next season we most likely will have an extra CL place so 4th and 5th get CL. More games to try fit in so probably won't happen. 

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Toney banned just in time for Spurs. Surely it would be better for the integrity of the league for the ban to have come into place after the season ends. Those of us who have played them twice with Toney are at a disadvantage compared to Spurs and Man City surely? 

He's injured anyway I think.

They should've just banned him when he played guilty to the charges alleged which I think was Feb or early March.

Brentford can still defend well and Mbeumo will cause their backline issues so hopefully they can get a point as they still have outside shot of 7th.

34 minutes ago, duke313 said:

The greedy 6 would never allow it. Couldn’t have them losing out on CL to a 7th placed Wolves or Burnley 

Also the 6 can just be outvoted on everything by the 14. That's how the PL works. They can't leave the League either to join a Super League. So **** em we should do what we can to **** em over. 

I think the prize money for top 6 should be identical and the added prize money that goes to 5th and above should be spread over the bottom 14. European Qualification is competitive incentive enough for the top 6 places 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They should've just banned him when he played guilty to the charges alleged which I think was Feb or early March.

Brentford can still defend well and Mbeumo will cause their backline issues so hopefully they can get a point as they still have outside shot of 7th.

I think they'll still cause Spurs problems, and so will Leeds on the final day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

The greedy 6 would never allow it. Couldn’t have them losing out on CL to a 7th placed Wolves or Burnley 

They will if only 1 or 2 per season get in to it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

Toney banned just in time for Spurs. Surely it would be better for the integrity of the league for the ban to have come into place after the season ends. Those of us who have played them twice with Toney are at a disadvantage compared to Spurs and Man City surely? 

Toney injured last game and still injured. The massive elephant in the room regardless of our battle is massive financial cheats Man City can win treble and people are looking sideways

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah fair enough he's injured but seeing as it's been dragging on all season long, just wait 2 games and there's no issue...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Toney injured last game and still injured. The massive elephant in the room regardless of our battle is massive financial cheats Man City can win treble and people are looking sideways

Yep unsanctioned City is a way bigger issue. At least the PL didn't dock them 15 points and then give them back...

2 hours ago, blandy said:

He will return part way through next season. So some teams will play against him next season and some won’t. It’s inevitable with any suspension that there will be a gain for some and not for others. I don’t see it as an integrity issue per se. But the whole delay and timing has been very strange.

In terms of the race for yurp, it obviously hinders Brentford and helps Spuds, on paper at least, but if Brentford lose it helps us maybe finish above them for sure and get a bit more cash as a result. Win both our games and who cares?

True, but if they waited two games and the length of the ban is known then I guess you know beforehand. Not sure what the rush is to do it now before the end of the season after he's been playing all season...

For Yurp, would prefer spurs lose against Brentford, then we get our chance last game of the season to kill any villa fan with a heart problem...

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I think we should think about a playoff for CL where 4th and 5th play 6th and 7th and home advantage to highest placed league finish. 

But from next season we most likely will have an extra CL place so 4th and 5th get CL. More games to try fit in so probably won't happen. 

I don’t. We have cup competitions for one off/two off games.  You work all season to get fourth over 38 games and then it’s down to two games against a 7th placed team who could be 5, 10, 15 even 20 points behind.  

I know playoffs are popular and we got up through them but I hate them, it seems so unjust the team that’s been more consistent over a long period might lose out because of one game, one bad game, a bad VAR game, one injury, one mistake.  

We know how much one game can make a difference and freak things happen.  

League should be consistency and one off/two leg games should stay for cups imo.

I know I’ll be in the minority, I’m cutting my own nose off because we have more chance under this format, more games, more money…just seems unjust.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yep unsanctioned City is a way bigger issue. At least the PL didn't dock them 15 points and then give them back...

If it was a Villa player I’m sure they would! 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I don’t. We have cup competitions for one off/two off games.  You work all season to get fourth over 38 games and then it’s down to two games against a 7th placed team who could be 5, 10, 15 even 20 points behind.  

I know playoffs are popular and we got up through them but I hate them, it seems so unjust the team that’s been more consistent over a long period might lose out because of one game, one bad game, a bad VAR game, one injury, one mistake.  

We know how much one game can make a difference and freak things happen.  

League should be consistency and one off/two leg games should stay for cups imo.

I know I’ll be in the minority, I’m cutting my own nose off because we have more chance under this format, more games, more money…just seems unjust.

Agreed in principle definitely.

But there's more money for the FA if they get to host more games at Wembley. And more money for football if sky get to show 5 more games at the end of the season. 

I guess the real tipping point is the entertainment value. Look how exciting that game was last night. Yes football is a sport, but it's also entertainment. The two need to be balanced.

To add, you could see it the other way that anyone outside the top 2 had all season to be in the top 2. By finishing outside you get a bonus chance. 

The much much much bigger issue is that its also a business; a factor that is now overshadowing both the other aspects.

Edited by MrBlack