Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Brighton will have 6th locked in by time they play us and nothing to play for. Leeds will need against Spurs to win to stay up

Our main hope now is Brentford defend well at Spurs and be threat on counter and it ends 1-1.

Regardless of what happens at Anfield we win on final day and Spurs then have to beat Leeds to finish above us and that's not going to be easy as Newcastle found out yesterday.

As long as Spurs don't win v Brentford a draw or defeat at Liverpool dosen't make too much difference. Even a shock win and we'd still probably have to beat Brighton on final day to be 100% sure given our GD is still a bit inferior to Spurs.

Let's just get to final day and have something to play for. That's an achievement in itself and hopefully the squad realise it.

• Like 1

Look at Brighton... We weren't beating them anyway if they had something to play for! If Spurs mess up next week then it might all work in our favour as Brighton should be home and hosed for Europa with a win v southampton and might take the foot off the pedal on the last day.

15 minutes ago, bose said:

Concentrate on us and see where that takes us. Winning at Anfield is not beyond this team. Two very difficult matches left but that’s what we want - fighting at the right end.

Agree, concentrate on ourselves and go for the 6 points, we should fear nobody in this league and we've shown we can beat the top teams. Let's see where that puts us, it'll be a major success of a year regardless of what happens.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Our main hope now is Brentford defend well at Spurs and be threat on counter and it ends 1-1.

Regardless of what happens at Anfield we win on final day and Spurs then have to beat Leeds to finish above us and that's not going to be easy as Newcastle found out yesterday.

As long as Spurs don't win v Brentford a draw or defeat at Liverpool dosen't make too much difference. Even a shock win and we'd still probably have to beat Brighton on final day to be 100% sure given our GD is still a bit inferior to Spurs.

Let's just get to final day and have something to play for. That's an achievement in itself and hopefully the squad realise it.

Yeah we'll know our fate before we kick off at Anfield. 

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah we'll know our fate before we kick off at Anfield. 

Ah right Spurs is the half 12 game I take it. Will properly focus the mind whatever the reason and will give us a big boost if Spurs don't win.

That Kane penalty very costly. As was not getting anything from Wolves game. If we can get to 60 points we've ended with momentum we can be proud of and hopefully carry it into summer and next season.

Spurs in ECL would be good for them having added games while needing a rebuild and reset.

Ending season well is best we can do now

going to be interesting.

Brighton look gone now, unless something mad happens.

Who knows what will happen with Spurs.

Looks to me like we are fighting for 7th, 8th, or even 9th.

By 9th, i mean, worst case scenario, if we lose our last 2 games, but Brentford pick up 1 win and a draw in their last 2 games, we will drop to 9th on goal difference.

Looks on a knife edge for Spurs, us and Brentford for the 7th, 8th and 9th slot tbh.

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

By 9th, i mean, worst case scenario, if we lose our last 2 games, but Brentford pick up 1 win and a draw in their last 2 games, we will drop to 9th on goal difference.

Worst case Fulham could win their two and go past us so we drop into 10th, right?

14 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Worst case Fulham could win their two and go past us so we drop into 10th, right?

Yeah if we lose our two games and they beat Palace and win at Old Trafford we could drop to 10th. Brentford would need to beat Spurs and get a draw with City. 

The EL was always going to be a big ask when we lost to Wolves. I still think we have a good chance of the Conference League, best case scenario now is Brighton to have guaranteed at EL spot be the time they come to VP and for Leeds to need to beat Spurs to stay in the PL.

I wonder if Spurs actually want the conference league. Some of their players have been there before and had a miserable experience in Zagreb. It's whether they feel the competition is beneath them I guess. 

24 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’ve got a feeling we may go into the Liverpool game being happy not to lose by more than one goal..

In what scenario would that happen? 

Even if we lose by 1 goal, our goal difference would mean we wouod have to hammer Brighton.

Even if Spurs lose as well.

If we are counting on goal difference then we are screwed as one thing I'm certain of is that we aren't finishing above Spurs on goal difference.