Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Spurs are the team that I'm most convinced we can stay ahead of. They have a difficult run in, have played nearly the same games as us, are in disarray management wise and have to come to Villa Park.

Stay in front of them and 7th is ours

11 minutes ago, AstonMartin82 said:

Sorry if this has been discussed already but there seems to be some confusion over how many places qualify for Europe. My understanding from the below link is that because Man Utd beat Brighton and it's a Man City Man Utd FA Cup final, and with Man Utd winning League Cup , then the top 7 now qualify for Europe? 

https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained

Screenshot_20230426_072328_Chrome.jpg.64e38262c3e3c6b7c037294d009e995e.jpg

Yeah, 5th and 6th go straight into Europa League groups. 7th have a play-off game before the Conference League group stage.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, picicata said:

Spurs are the team that I'm most convinced we can stay ahead of. They have a difficult run in, have played nearly the same games as us, are in disarray management wise and have to come to Villa Park.

Stay in front of them and 7th is ours

I agree Spurs are a mess and I’ll put us above them come the end of the season. 

The only team I think will over take us is Liverpool. Brighton have games in hand on us but they’ve got to play Man Utd, Newcastle, Arsenal and Man City in their last 8/9 games so could quite easily lose all four of them. 

We’ve got the points on the board and all to play for. If only Watkins hadn’t nicked that last minute header of Buendia against Brentford we’d be in a better position but I still think we’ll have enough. 

Brighton have a hell of a lot of games to play in a short time. Dont think their squad is the biggest so they will drop points. I think they will end the season 7th.

Liverpool with probably get 5th so hopefully leaves us and Spurs to battle it out for 6th.   

Does 6th get us Europa or Conference?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Brighton have a hell of a lot of games to play in a short time. Dont think their squad is the biggest so they will drop points. I think they will end the season 7th.

Liverpool with probably get 5th so hopefully leaves us and Spurs to battle it out for 6th.   

Europa, 7th gets Conference

• Thanks 1

Given our fixtures, it's in our hands regardless of other teams' games in hand.

That's all you could ask for really. Tough games, but so were Brighton away, Spurs away, Man Utd at home and Chelsea away...

10 points will definitely do it, and I suspect even 7 or 8 might given the other fixtures. 7 points would give us 61 - meaning Brighton would need 12 points to get ahead of us on goal difference. Worst case, if we go into the final game a maximum of 2 points behind Brighton, we've got a "win and we're in" situation (as the Americans call them!). I'd take that chance now if offered it

Edited by StewieGriffin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Farlz said:

Honestly, I think we’d be fine without Kamara for the run in. Dougie is still the maestro in the middle and Donk has filled in well. McGinn can obviously also play the role (although I much prefer him wide).

Couldn’t disagree more. We desperately need him back. Dendoncker has been fine, but Kamara is our best outfield player - it’s a massive step up.

Need Cash back ASAP too (and even Coutinho) - as others have said, the bench is incredibly thin at the moment.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AstonMartin82 said:

Sorry if this has been discussed already but there seems to be some confusion over how many places qualify for Europe. My understanding from the below link is that because Man Utd beat Brighton and it's a Man City Man Utd FA Cup final, and with Man Utd winning League Cup , then the top 7 now qualify for Europe? 

https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained

Screenshot_20230426_072328_Chrome.jpg.64e38262c3e3c6b7c037294d009e995e.jpg

No worries, this is being discussed every five pages or so in this thread. You will not be the last one asking 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think you are right about Liverpool they have a decent run in, but feel Brighton have a lot of opportunities to pick up points 27 available compared to our 15, even with fixture congestion, they have been a good side this season it will be close for sure.

Spurs are a basket case this season and finish 8th for me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Couldn’t disagree more. We desperately need him back. Dendoncker has been fine, but Kamara is our best outfield player - it’s a massive step up.

Need Cash back ASAP too (and even Coutinho) - as others have said, the bench is incredibly thin at the moment.

Yep, was crying out for changes last night in second half, but there was just nobody to bring on that was going to change anything, unless we got a Bertie wonder goal.

On 28/10/2022 at 20:11, tomsky_11 said:

Who do we play and what points would we potentially need to finish with between 53 and 60?

Pre winter break - new MNU bha - 4 to 5 points - At least one win from these feels doable, with Brighton perhaps most likely. At least one or two points from the other games seems feasible if we play as well as we did on Sunday.

Post winter break - LIV tot WOL LEE sou LEI mnc ARS - 12 to 15 points - 4 games we should be looking to win, bookended either side by 4 of the 'top 6'. We'll need to be consistently good against the weaker sides and then hopefully pick up the odd point against the stronger sides.

The "easiest run of the season" - eve CRY whu BOU che NFO NEW bre FUL (+ lei to be rescheduled) - 18 to 21 points - 4 very winnable home games, plenty of opportunity to pick up points from the others with only Chelsea to play from the 'top 6'.

Well we've made up the points we dropped in that post winter break run and then some!

We've already passed my original 53 point prediction with 5 games to spare, with 26 from a possible 30 in the "easiest run of the season".

Tricky finish - mnu wol TOT liv BHA - 6 to 8 points - three 'top 6' sides and local derby away from home not the nicest finish. At least Brighton at home final day is a good opportunity for 3 points.

Achieving low end of this predction is enough for 60 now. And weirdly, despite the teams' average league position being higher than when I made the prediction, these fixtures don't look quite as tricky, as others have said Utd struggling with injuries, Wolves probably safe and Spurs a mess (they were 3rd, only 3 points off City and 5 off Arsenal on 28th Oct when I posted the above)

60 points and almost guaranteed top 7 would require 48 points (1.85ppg) over our remaining fixtures. As I've posted in the Emery thread, he's achieved this kind of run at every club he's managed apart from Spartak (where he only managed 17 league games in total). So we would appear to have a manager capable of putting together the kind of run we'd need.

To give that rate of 1.85ppg some further context:

- Dean Smith's best 26 game run in the PL for Villa, from the end of 19/20 until Grealish's injury in early 2021, was at 1.7ppg

- Eddie Howe got 44 points from 27 games, or 1.63ppg, for Newcastle last season.

Emery currently on 2.1ppg from 20 games. Losing all remaing games he would still finish season with higher ppg than Howe did last season. One more point means he equals Smith's best 25 game PL run.

Come on Forest and West Ham. Can see Liverpool having another of their shit games and dropping points, but sadly Brighton probably have too much for Forest.

A draw in the west london mid-table derby please.

Not too bothered about the top of the table clash. Arse win to stop the Citeh hegemony, but Citeh win gives more of a chance for Unai to get manager of the season.