Leander Dendoncker

HalfTimePost

6 hours ago, skarroki said:

I don't mean to knock him as a player, I like him, he's doing a good job and I don't worry about him in the lineup, I'd just rather Kamara was there.

I was merely talking about my feelings on him as a whole since signing him in the summer. My opinion is that he was an expensive backup that we didn't really need, even though he's come in a few times I'd rather have seen an academy player given these chances.

I understand the opposite view though that he's not expensive and the academy haven't produced anyone good enough yet who could have done the job Dendonker is doing. I guess it's all opinions. 

I would argue that we have needed him as he played a role in important wins against Brentford, United, Newcastle and now Fulham. Given how short out squad is, not having him may have forced us to shift the lineup and there is no guarantee we would have won the matches. He was by no means a protagonist in most of these games, but a backup CDM rarely is

• Like 1

Him coming in for Bailey has worked out pretty well for the team: without a dedicated DM like Kamara (and pre-Emery in general) I feel that Luiz and McGinn in particular are stifled, with fewer creative responsibilities. Sure, Dendoncker is, at best, a decent defensive midfielder who links-up play pretty consistently (unlike liability-in-possession Nakamba!). But his profile is essential to allow our other midfielders to play to their strengths. I don't think it's a coincidence that since he's come into the team McGinn has been on fire (although moving to RM is doing wonders as well). A good reason why we haven't particularly missed Kamara, imo.

Also, we didn't concede until he came off in the Stevenage game 👀😁

Edited by wishywashy

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

According to Gregory alot of interest being shown in him 

I dont really rate him but a decent squad player to have about. I think if the offers are around 20m mark we would peob consider selling

I think he's a great addition. Without him were bringing in Chambers or a guy who's had a hand full of decent games for qpr. 

Great squad addition but will be a great sign when we've managed to improve on him as well. 

I wasn’t very complimentary when we got him but he’s proved me wrong and while not a starter he’s a great squad player and did a very good job when we needed him.

We can't be selling him we need the squad depth. He's exactly the type of player who we need to fill out the squad. Totally reliable when called upon and is great cover for Kamara when we need that CDM who can drop into the back line.

• Like 2

He's a good player but if we could get a good offer then I could understand the club taking that and buying a younger alternative, perhaps one closer to Kamara and Luiz in style of play. I think the original reports were that we were looking to sign Bamba and then loan him back to 'the ones from Guimarães', but maybe he could come in and take his place as squad memebr right a way, similar to Dendoncker in that he has experience of playing both in central defence and as a midfielder.

• Like 1

On 01/09/2022 at 20:41, useless said:

He's played over thirty times for Belgium national team who are rated one of the best national teams in the world, so presumably they have plenty of options in his position, and he's also been a regular for Wolves team that have been finishing in the position that we're trying to get to. It shouldn't really come as a surprise if he does well for us.

Wow in the truest sense of the word, that is expressing astonishment and admiration, I didn't expect us to achieve it this season when I wrote that, whatever happens Merci hommage à Leander for helping us reach seventh.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Only worth selling if emery thinks tim iroegbunam is ready. 

Kamara and Dendoncker our only midfielders with some decent height.

Only worth selling if Guendouzi is his direct replacement.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Only worth selling if emery thinks tim iroegbunam is ready. 

Kamara and Dendoncker our only midfielders with some decent height.

Ih ywa forgot about timmy. But tgat QPR move seemed a disaster as they were so poor 2nd half of season

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

I feel like it seems we have signed tielemans instead of going in for guendouzi. 

Dendoncker seems more of a backup to kamara. So if we were to get rid of dendoncker we would prob need to sign someone of similar profile (or develop tim).

• Like 1

Dendoncker would be an excellent pick up for a team battling relegation who pack the midfield. He gives you height, strength, decent aerial ability and he’s calm enough on the ball at a lower level.

Honestly, if I’m a Sheff Utd, a Forest, an Everton, a Burnley, a Luton type club, if you can pick Dendoncker up for £10-15m on a decent wage packet, it’s good business. You could easily spend that on a player from abroad who flops in the league and struggles to adapt. 

Ultimately, for us though, I think we’re probably aiming higher than what his ability can offer us. He’s done well when called upon (Stevenage aside) but this is cut throat stuff and in order for us to improve, we need to move our decent players on in the hope to sign better and free up wages. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

Yep, exactly what I thought, too. Having Guendouzi, Tielemans, Kamara, and Luiz to choose from in central midfield is a very good place to be. 

Â