Pre Match Thread

villa89

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

FFS Chambers just look him in the eye! 

I would normally pick Chambers over Konsa, but given that we're dealing with Halaand, Konsa and Mings makes some sense.

With Bailey's pace and Watkins' ability to hold up the ball, this is well set up for counter-attack. The four-man midfield...is this a straight 4-4-2? If nothing else, it will be intriguing to see SG spin some new tactical ideas.

Sorry to that Dendoncker wasn't well enough to make the side.

We're looking good so far so I'm gonna throw out my hot take. For all his qualities, Ramsey is not suited to CM, especially the way we play. He's still young and I'm sure he will become a much better CM in time, but he needs to mature as a player to play there imo.

He doesn't have the positional discipline, consistency in passing ability or defensive abiliy to operate effectively in that role, the first two I think McGinn shares too, so when the two play in midfield we look far too open and without options in build up. We need someone like Luiz to play otherwise Kamara ends up far too isolated far too often.

I think he'd be much better suited to playing further up the pitch where he can utilise his dribbling and close control that he excels at, without risking too much defensively in the midfield. He's still only 21, I think he just needs a couple more seasons to mature as a player before consistently starting in the midfield.

Ramsey at LW, Stevie's been reading my posts!

Hopefully he read my one in the team shape thread on how what he's trying to do should look.

3 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Probably the same formation as always with Ramsey in the front 3.

If that is the case I'd actually be delighted to see how he'd do in a normal game. 

Unfortunately, this isn't a normal game. He won't ever see the ball. 

Shame.