Match Thread: LC2: Bolton v Villa

limpid

Just now, a m ole said:

He worked in a counter attacking Dean Smith side. Really effectively. He shields, spins, moves the ball quickly to a player wide who has isolated a fullback on his heels. He gets aggressive and in the face of players when they’re not sure who to pass to.

He’s the anti-Pirlo, and we’re trying to control the football

This is it. He’s not cut out for possession based, technical football. (If that is actually what Gerrard wants us to play)

• Like 1

What hope have we got that he can get us playing against premier league opponents when this is how we turn up against Bolton? Not watching the second half, and I won't be watching at the weekend either. Gerrard get the **** out of this club.

Watch the subs come on and do **** all as well, because they’re told to try to keep it tidy, let the opposition get into shape and then pick a pass into Coutinho with a unit of a football league centre back breathing down his neck

Edited by a m ole

1 minute ago, useless said:

It's not even a strong Bolton line-up, I had a look on their forum before the game and they were fearing the worse because of how many changes they've made and how weak their midfield selection is for this game.

These match threads can have some over the top reactions, but that really was poor from us, really should be dominating a game like this it's not just a League One side, it's a weakened League One side, but we can barely string more than a couple of passes together.

Front three not working, need some creativity between the midfield and attack, maybe Buendia coming one would be a good idea, Ramsey as well to give us some drive in the midfield.

I mean... Do you start to think then its Gerrard not having the ability to hype up and motivate our players before games like these? Lost a sense of the dressing room and they just don't look a team at all. No unison. 

Just now, Talldarkandransome said:

So we've had more shots and more on target according to the stats, so why is our XG lower than Bolton

Because none of them have been good chances. We had a shot from 40 yards, 2 shots from the corner spot which you can basically never expect to score from. Whereas Bolton had a shot 9 yards from goal with no defender between them and the goal. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AV82 said:

No-one has to tell me. I find no enjoyment in getting bossed by a League One side and our only reply coming from a complete fluke of a corner kick.

Seriously if you cant celebrate a villa goal no matter the circumstances you shouldnt even watch the game mate.

Just  no point if u cabt enjoy  it

8 minutes ago, AV82 said:

He was voted player of the season what.. 4 months before Gerrard came in like a wrecking ball?

Yep. And he was part of a back line of Cash, Mings and Konsa who kept 15 cleans sheets in a season.  

Now it’s Digne with the same Cash, Mings and Konsa/Carlos and how many clean sheets have we kept?

1 minute ago, Adman said:

Why was Watkins offside for his goal?

Because he was offside, are you criticising the player or the officials?

edit; that sounded agro, just asking sorry

Edited by a m ole

2 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Remember when people used to support their team?

Remember when fans appreciated that a game of football is a sport which can go either way?

Remember when it was the very unpredictability of the game that made it exciting?

I swear online football support depresses the hell out of me. It's 1-1 in a cup game. Just enjoy it for what it is rather than just moaning and trying to outdo each others pessimism for 90 minutes

And I know I'm gonna get abuse for this post but Christ it's tiring and I hope I haven't offended anyone 

For someone who hates online football support… why are you logged into villatalk during a game?

• Haha 1

Just now, TheMelvillan said:

Remember when people used to support their team?

Remember when fans appreciated that a game of football is a sport which can go either way?

Remember when it was the very unpredictability of the game that made it exciting?

I swear online football support depresses the hell out of me. It's 1-1 in a cup game. Just enjoy it for what it is rather than just moaning and trying to outdo each others pessimism for 90 minutes

And I know I'm gonna get abuse for this post but Christ it's tiring and I hope I haven't offended anyone 

I hear you and I want Gerrard to succeed and I want us to win handily today and against West Ham but come on. lets be charitable, we have just had an even half playing stars and superstars against league one Bolton (who nearly went out of business recently). Our style of play is just bizarre.