Ismaila Sarr

Aston_Villan4

24 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Reckon this is one of those " opportunistic" signings Purslow has spoken about?

We said that about Sanson as well ffs 🤣

I do get the thinking though 

In fairness, we probably need " physically stronger " players from front to back.

We just need to get up the pitch a bit quicker, Sarr can certainly do that with early ball.

I don't get all the we have too many attacking players posts either....it can easily be him and Bailey either side of a CF and then Buendia as number 10 in 4-2-3-1.

It's actually a pretty easy decision for next manager to drop some of our underachieving midfielders and change to that formation. I look forward to it.

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Seems the club and manager are on different wavelengths. 

I like Sarr but he's not the player we need now. 

Strange one ain't it?

Unless he's replacing one of our wide forwards it's strange.

As I said though, wonder if we also want physically stronger forwards?

Would make sense?

We are too light everywhere.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

We just need to get up the pitch a bit quicker, Sarr can certainly do that with early ball.

I don't get all the we have too many attacking players posts either....it can easily be him and Bailey either side of a CF and then Buendia as number 10 in 4-2-3-1.

It's actually a pretty easy decision for next manager to drop some of our underachieving midfielders and change to that formation. I look forward to it.

What's annoying, is that when we actually play quickly, we've SEEN that we can be devastating 🤦🏿‍♂️

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

Exactly - this shape means we persist with McGinn and Ramsey - both have been totally ineffective. Playing 4231 means both can be dropped by a new manager and Dougie can play alongside Kamara. 

6 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

Is he actually good? 

Yes.  But we clearly have problems in the middle of the pitch so it seems odd to be throwing resources at areas where we've already spent a lot of money.

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

This only makes sense if we go 4 2 3 1 and give up on this ultra attacking fullbacks plan.

Yeah but that would mean dropping one of if not both of McGinn and Ramsey, which Gerrard will seemingly never do.

26 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Good player.

We don't play with wingers. There's been nothing to suggest we want to play with wingers. At no point have we tried to pay with wingers. We've actively tried to get rid of wingers. Why are we going to spend the thick end of £30m on a winger?

Because in 3 games time we might have a manager in place who will want to play with wingers?

It's 2022 where majority of football managers don't actually make the signings anymore. No difference to Spurs signing Djed Spence despite Conte not really wanting him.

Gerrard is also the last manager to complain given how he's been backed with signings in last 6 months.

Sarr is good and has room for improvement so got to think long term with this signing compared to some of the others.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Strange one ain't it?

Unless he's replacing one of our wide forwards it's strange.

As I said though, wonder if we also want physically stronger forwards?

Would make sense?

We are too light everywhere.

We only have 3 wide forwards and even then coutinho and Buendia can play as 10s. So if we are moving to a 4-2-3-1 then it is necessary. 

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm sure I read/heard somewhere from Blackpool fans, that Critchley initially started, starting play a complex system, similar to SG, but it wasn't working out, as the players simply couldn't do it.

However he then moved to a 4 - 3 - 3 or 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 and started doing well?

Might be slightly off but I'm sure it was something like that.

So who knows?

I’m sure it was 442 he moved to

17 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Watford fans on their forum nest seem very happy with the deal which is never a good sign.

I think it's more they realise he's too good for championship and they just need to cash in and refresh their team more given how bad they looked last season so no point them coming up with same 11.

Last season he was injured for 3 months but between that spell out he..

was the main catalyst for us losing 3-2 on opening day. Get the feeling Gerrard wrote Targett off from watching tape of that game when he first arrived.

Scored two at Norwich in a 3-1 win and then the next week in 1-1 at home to Newcastle.

Scored for Man. United in 4-1 win in late November and then got injured.

Then came back to start v us and set up Dennis header with a good cross.

Was in and out rest of the season with knocks and Watford just giving up but basically anything good they did last season he was at the heart of it.

He didn't actually play v SHA last week but I assume given we've loaned them Davis we obviously enquired and now the deal is moving forward.

Â