First Team Coaches/Staff

Villa Gaffa

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Won the CL with Liverpool as assistant. Was it specified that it was CL winner as player?

no wasnt specified as "player".

Seems i was wrong in my initial statement, i was looking at the 2007 Champions League that Liverpool lost to Milan when he was there.

Was Pako at Liverpool when they won in 2004/5?

edit: Yes he was, looks like this is the guy, he is also out of work currently, so seems to me it is Pako.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

Pako Ayestaran being linked by Tom Collomosse. Highly-regarded as a coach, been said by people at Liverpool that there was a big drop off from them once he left Benitez's staff, although his own managerial career has been a bit of a mess.

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

Would be a very good appointment!

looks like this 100% is the guy.

He is out of work currently, spanish journalist Guillem Balague said Emery's new assistant manager would be a historic champions league winner.

Pako won the champions league as Benitez's assistant manager in 2004/05.

all seems to add up.

12 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Jeez, don’t Google this fella, it’s not an inspiring read bar the spell at Liverpool.

Too late! I hope he is a better assistant than a manager. He hasn't made it to 12 months at 6 out of the 7 clubs he has been in charge of. Even managed 11% win rate at one of them. 

Edited by Made In Aston

4 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Jeez, don’t Google this fella, it’s not an inspiring read bar the spell at Liverpool.

2 league titles at Valencia, promotion at Tenerife and Extremadura plus an Isreali and Mexican title on his own

What are we missing?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

2 league titles at Valencia, promotion at Tenerife and Extremadura plus an Isreali and Mexican title on his own

What are we missing?

Almost everything past 2008

Hey if he’s our number 2, so be it, I hope he does well and he appear to be a much better number 2 than number 1. However not knowing anything about him, I had a little read up and wished I hadn’t.

15 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Mings is obviously one but he's also too smart to become a hindrance to the dressing room. My other guesses would be Watkins, Buendia, Bailey, Dougie and slightly left field - Digne

"Didn't like how he was"  ... I'd say being dropped without good reason is enough to justify not liking him for most of those.

Watkins would fit the category of "didnt like how he was". Gerrard played him all the time, but wouldn't surprise me if he didn't like the position and role he was being asked to play, and seems to me to be more of an "arm around him" confidence kind of player,  than one that prefers the tough love.

From that, you can infer that I don't get the impression Gerrard was a particularly comforting coach. Not to mention that his tactics were rubbish so even if you did like him,  you weren't getting any chances created by his formation.

Digne got signed and then given an impossible task by Gerrard ball so you're probably right to assume he isn't particularly a fan either.

The fact of the matter now is, with the incoming coaches and Unai as head coach, our approach now has to be to support the coaching staff in what they are going to be doing. There is no point in us demanding change again in six months time or whatever if things are going terribly. We would need to look at the playing staff and realise that there are some who simply are not good enough for where we want to be. Can those players be ‘coached’ by the new lot - who knows. But I imagine some will really struggle. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Mings is obviously one but he's also too smart to become a hindrance to the dressing room. My other guesses would be Watkins, Buendia, Bailey, Dougie and slightly left field - Digne

FYI its from this podcast, the Villa discussion starts around the 34 minute 30 second mark.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0d9n2df

(you might need to copy paste this in to your browser, for some reason i cant get it to link properly)

Â