Ratings & Reactions: Crystal Palace v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

Palace were much the better team, defensively we were a shambles, simple long balls over the top caused us no end of problems. 

McGinn was bad today, I think him coming off was telling, I expect to see Luiz start next game as we seemed to have far more control of the ball when him and Coutinho came on, though Palace had taken their foot off the gas by then to be fair.

It’s not a particularly encouraging start to the season.

Just now, Jonesy7211 said:

They exploited the space behind the fullbacks and the space between defence and midfield all game. Shocking management not to change things.

And there it is, after a decent start teams saw quite easily how to play against Steven Gerrards Aston Villa, with the only positive results coming against relegation fodder. Doesn't have the foresight to change it up.

Both squads are much of a muchness to me, e g. Palace lined up with Joel Ward at RB, Schlupp in midfield, Ayew and Edouord as forwards. If we had been linked to any of those this summer people would have complained about lack of ambition.

However, Viera appears to be able to actually coach a team.

And re: our midfield - if gerrard wanted to spend big on it he would have been able to. He was allowed 25 mil on a left back when we already had a serviceable starter, 17 mil on coutinho when we already had loads of attacking midfielders. 

We are starting McGinn and Ramsey because he wants to. He made McGinn captain. The midfield he keeps playing is 100% his choice.

Emi m - 6 and that's for his saves, constantly fking it away to the right putting us under even more pressure is the dropped points otherwise would have got an 8.

Cash - 6 got done time and time down the right but when there's no midfield covering and you are left exposed you will get skinned.

Konsa - 2 DROP HIM, he is not konsa of 2 years ago, he has become a passive timid liability and a huge reason we are so so bad as he won't move the ball forwards, instead passing it back to keeper or mings.

Mings -5 part of the reason emi kept booting the ball out of play is his lazy pass backs, however when you are playing with an inept partner and having to work twice as hard, you can almost forgive his repeated errors.

Digne - 3 NEEDS DROPPING

2 or 3 crosses, that was his entire contribution today, just like 9 out of 10 games. Shows very little defensive skill or knowledge and shows very little going forwards, got torn apart multiple times, hid from challenges and was very poor, so what's the point of him, play a solid left back and an attacker on the left. A total let down and bordering on a waste of money at the moment.

Mgginn -3 NEEDS DROPPING

what more can be said, no energy after 15 minutes, no movement and just tries Hollywood passes that 9 out of 10 don't work. A waste of space in an important area of the pitch, in which we lose every game.

Ramsey -3 was he even playing ? Totally disappeared and I mean totally.Close to being dropped as he has massively regressed in his game.

Bailey - 5 tried, a great flick for our goal ( false hope) and a great shot against the bar but not much else other than every now and then looking like he may be a threat but isn't.

Emi b - 6, never stopped trying but with an inept midfield and only 1 defender willing to pass the ball which was normally the mings hoof, he fizzled out of the game. Unlucky with his first time shot.

Kamara- 7 he must be thinking that he will be on the move come next summer, I cant see him wanting to stay with this shower for too long.

Watkins 5 and that's for his goal, normal lack of control, poor decision making and just not looking up for it took over after they equalised.

Subs

Doug infinitely better than mcggin at retaing and passing the ball, basics of being a midfielder.

Big phil, showed more today than his previous 2 games 

Ings instantly more goal threat when he came on.

All subs were 20 minutes too late.

Manager 0

Clueless both team and tactically, get him out now and poch in, make no mistake, we will be struggling around the bottom of the league all season if we don't do something now. 

Nothing wrong with having some faith in certain players but when your so called system doesn't work and your favourites are woefully under performing and you don't rectify it, then the players may as well sort it out between themselves. At least they would be communicating then.

We knew place would be physical, we knew Zaha would be down ghe left, he picked mcgginn as the player in the middle to support cash, wtf ?

Never wanted slippy g but have given him almost a year now to show what he can do. I've seen what he can do and I don't like it.

Leave please

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, catanzaro said:

Having managed people for thirty years, I would say that when things are going very wrong you need to relate and communicate with the team and build a solution to the problems together.. if he comes out and blames the players again… well… that would be very bad news for us. In my humble opinion.

I am in same position having managed teams for 40 years, completely agree and if I kept turning in poor results and not showing any improvement I would not be in a job. I took on a job as operations manager once it was too big for me and I was paid off after 6  months and asked for the keys of the company car back. 

No regrets the job was too big for me   ring any bells 

• Like 1

SG needs to go.  Plan A doesn't work, there's no Plan B and we look worse now than under Bruce.

The squad is better than what we are seeing, the issues is clearly coaching and tactics.

Bring in a real manager, not a guy who was a good player back in the day.  He's not manager material.

Highlights how easy it must be to win in Scotland 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

They exploited the space behind the fullbacks and the space between defence and midfield all game. Shocking management not to change things.

Indeed, same against Bournemouth. Today I was more worried by the lack of compactness centrally, and the fact that they managed a goal that clearly is one of their main ideas.

But more worryingly, we look physically weak. Struggling to hold them off.

Just now, 1974Centenary said:

You do realize that when Gerard and his entire staff are sacked,yes including mcphee,the compo will be so great the north stand won't be rebuilt.

Keep playing like this and we wont need those extra seats 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Fed up!

Anybody whose seeing progress under Gerrard needs their head looked at.

This is rubbish.  

Not even going to discuss anything on the forum tonight because there is nothing to discuss, it’s just poor.

Sadly, I have to concede.....I can't defend that excuse for a performance.

Its now happening with regularity, and I am just expecting it......something is very seriously wrong.

I can't defend SG after that.

• Like 1

Didn't deserve anything out of that game, but i have to say that is an absolute joke of a decision for the penalty.

Difficult to know where to start today.

Martinez's distribution was woeful, Digne and Cash poor both defensively and in attacking situations, Cash's choice of a final ball is poor, Mings and Konsa looked liked accidents waiting to happen, Mings has to do better for the 3rd.

Midfield, pass, all awful, not good enough on the ball, don't keep it well enough, dont' move it quick enough. Neither Sansom or Luiz are an improvement either.

Bailey, too lightweight, always looking for a free kick. Has quality though.

Buendia, when he got the ball he was our best player, not enough options when he had it though.

Watkins, always breaks down when it is played up to him.

Gerrard. I'm uncomfortable with replacing a manager after less than 3 months. I like the players he has brought in, i think some of the players he inherited are not as good as we think they are. We had nobody in the final 1/3rd anywhere near the quality of Zaha or Eze.

• Like 1

Why sign a backup left back if you're not going to play him when Digne's having a nightmare?

If he's not good enough for that situation, what's he doing at the club and who made the decision to sign him?

We had 5 subs to use... 

Sack the lot.

Next game should be

Martinez 

Cash.      Chambers.     Mings.     Digne

Kamara.           Luiz

Bailey.              Buendia.         Coutinho

Watkins

Last time Emi and Phil played together they tore a hole into Man City. 

Worth trying again.

Meatball is an anvil around the neck of the club.

Or should I say Gerrard.

Â