Relegation Battle - 22/23

Tayls

6 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

We just need to win 4 more games between now and the end of the season.  I'm sure that is more than manageable.

Yeah they'll surely be some crap teams we can scrape a win against, cause I doubt we are beating anyone half decent. Played with a defeatist attitude in the first half yesterday, like we thought we just can't compete. 

9 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

We just need to win 4 more games between now and the end of the season.  I'm sure that is more than manageable.

Don't even need to do that. I remember mass panic late on last season when we had that losing run but turns out we'd secured enough points to stay up by early March as when we won at Leeds we were on 36 points and Burnley finished on 35 in the end.

Will be a similar total again.

We shouldn't be anywhere near relegation, and I don't think we will be, top half should be the aim and that's more than achievable. I've got a feeling we will get a result against Arsenal, maybe a draw.

35 minutes ago, useless said:

We shouldn't be anywhere near relegation, and I don't think we will be, top half should be the aim and that's more than achievable. I've got a feeling we will get a result against Arsenal, maybe a draw.

I certainly admire your optimism Useless :lol:

We are so riddled with Sunday pub league style errors at the moment that I'd be shocked if it's any less than three in this game too and I really cannot see us scoring the 3, 4 or 5 goals we would need to score to get anything from the game. The problem is you cannot really coach out those type of errors, in fact I would go so far as to say no Premier League coach would even be expecting to have to deal with such pathetic play, so wouldn't be used to having to try to coach players out of it at this level. Then there is the sheer lack of drive that some of these players are showing, you can't coach "drive" or "fire in the belly" either. 

Hopefully he drops the players in question having said that I guess.

As for relegation, well in a weird way if you are going to have the worst performance of the season you may as well have it against Man City rather than against one of the teams you would hope to beat. We need to start playing again though, rapid, as it does appear that we are on the beach currently, a typical "nothing to play for" team. The issue is if it carries on we'll be dragged back into it a lot quicker than some seem to think.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 2

We had the best form of any Prem team in Jan, had a shocker against Leicester, then got beat by Man City and people are seriously talking about relegation?

Never change VT, you crazy lovable bunch of manic schizophrenics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

We had the best form of any Prem team in Jan, had a shocker against Leicester, then got beat by Man City and people are seriously talking about relegation?

We can just as easily go on a run of losses. That’s the kind of team we are. When Gerard left, or certainly towards the end of his tenure, I’d have snapped your hand off for 17th. We’re a 10th-14th placed team in terms of ability but a bad run of luck can always see you dragged into it. I also think we’re a little fragile mentally as a squad. 

We need to focus on getting to 40 points.  

59 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We can just as easily go on a run of losses. That’s the kind of team we are. When Gerard left, or certainly towards the end of his tenure, I’d have snapped your hand off for 17th. We’re a 10th-14th placed team in terms of ability but a bad run of luck can always see you dragged into it. I also think we’re a little fragile mentally as a squad. 

We need to focus on getting to 40 points.  

I'm not sure you're aware but we were actually 17th when Gerrard was sacked. He was sacked for a reason: because everyone associated with the club and in particular the owners knew he was failing drastically given the quality in his squad. So we were 17th under Gerrard and you were happy to finish 17th, makes sense. Now we have a manager who has never got less than a 46% win rate and you just want to get to 40 points.

Our fans must be the most unambitious fans out there, sometimes they're so negative and accepting of mediocrity I'm not even sure they believe what they really say.

We're 11th right now and shouldn't be falling any further than we are, we have a better manager on paper (given his achievements in the game) than probably 15 teams in this league, and the squad is better than half the teams in the league also and that includes some teams currently above us (Brentford Brighton, Fulham). The aim should be top 10 and 50+ points, if we end up any lower than where we are now it's been an appalling end to the season. 

Edited by Leeroy

4 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I'm not sure you're aware but we were actually 17th when Gerrard was sacked. He was sacked for a reason: because everyone associated with the club and in particular the owners knew he was failing drastically given the quality in his squad. So we were 17th under Gerrard and you were happy to finish 17th, makes sense. Now we have a manager who has never got less than a 46% win rate and you just want to get to 40 points.

Our fans must be the most unambitious fans out there, sometimes they're so negative and accepting of mediocrity I'm not even sure they believe what they really say.

We're 11th right now and shouldn't be falling any further than we are, we have a better manager on paper (given his achievements in the game) than probably 15 teams in this league, and the squad is better than half the teams in the league also and that includes some teams currently above us (Brentford Brighton, Fulham). The aim should be top 10 and 50+ points, if we end up any lower than where we are now it's been an appalling end to the season. 

You mention quality? What quality? The same quality that’s seen us finish 11th, 14th and 17th since promotion back to this division? And that was with one of the best players in the world in our side. 

The aim can be whatever you want it to be in your head but you’re in dreamland if you think this squad is going to finish in the top 10 even with Emery in charge who I agree, seems to be a very good manager. Prepare to be appalled. 

Your comments around fans being unambitious and accepting of mediocrity is just bizarre. Some are just realistic and understand we need at least 2/3 better players to challenge the top 8/10. Don’t confuse pessimism with realism.

We’ve wasted millions in wages and fees on several players over the last couple of years. Bailey, Buendia, Coutinho, Digne. None of those 4 have consistently shown anywhere near enough quality to finish any higher than 10th and that’s £105m in transfer fees along with close to £400k a week in wages. 2 of those can’t currently get in the side and all 4 shouldn’t start in our best XI (in my opinion). 

We’ve got it wrong on the field since Grealish left. Kamara aside, we’ve not really improved at all.

I’m convinced Emery will do well here but he isn’t going to turn this squad of players into a top half team. We need a massive clear out in the Summer and to bring in at least 4 new starters. There is also a strong chance we’ll lose Martinez too, so it really is going to be a pivotal Summer window. 

Those finishes were under different managers, not really relevant to now, mentioning finishing 17th is bizarre because there has been a huge turnover of players since then. Pretty much everyone in the starting 11 has been replaced except possibly Mings, Luiz and Konsa (who is only starting because Carlos has been injured). 

The signings haven't been great at times and the mentality needs to change, but we do have enough quality in our side to at least maintain where we are, you are choosing to ignore it. We got to 45 points under Gerrard last season with a point less than we currently have now, if Emery didn't better that his reputation would take a massive hit.

It's all about perspective, but I wouldn't say you are being realistic, very little positivity in your posts about this side despite the fact they have shown themselves capable by beating sides like Spurs and Man U.

Just now, Amed said:

Let’s keep this near the top  cos we know after losing to Everton next week what our season is about 

After watching Everton vs Liverpool no a chance they finish above us this season even if we lose next week

We've got loads more about us than them

Relegation might be a possibility after today. Maybe people are right, we just need to get to 40 points and hope for the best.

We were 17th under Gerrard, maybe we can just about not finish lower than that under a supposedly far superior manager. 

10 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

I know, it's almost like we're a mid table team or something!

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

Relegation might be a possibility after today. Maybe people are right, we just need to get to 40 points and hope for the best.

We were 17th under Gerrard, maybe we can just about not finish lower than that under a supposedly far superior manager. 

Supposedly?