Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Am thinking about doing a crossing one day (if for no other reason than to fill my boot with clon white pud, Barry's tea, kerpink spuds, bolands biscuits and tanora).

Was it swansea rosslare you took ? What's it like ? Good standard service and daycint drive from rosslare ?

Pembroke Rosslare. Been getting that crossing for years and years. 

Perfectly fine. The ferry on that route is relatively new so facilities are decent. Feels smaller than the old Irish ferries’ ferries but it’s decent enough. We got a cabin but the regular seating seemed absolutely fine too. 

Drive from Rosslare is long! Well it is for us in west cork. 4 hours plus. But very scenic. And the roads from Rosslare into Waterford are much improved now. Couple of dual carriageways and new bypasses and stuff

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

Sounds like hell. 

We did four and a half hours on a packed ferry when the boy was a year. One of the worst travel experiences I’ve ever had. 

On the way to Ireland he was really good but the way back he was very restless. Funnily enough he was fine on the ferry. It was in the car where he was going mental

51 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Going to be spending some time in this thread going forward I guess. Me and my wife are expecting our first child, and today we found out that we're going to be having a boy. 

Congrats mate 👏

2 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

@PieFacE @Stevo985 how are you doing with the Ferber method? Just to start with my 6 month old 

It went really well with Jack. Still wasn’t sleeping through the night, he’d be up about 4 but would go back to sleep. And he got to the stage where we’d put him down and yoj wouldn’t even have to go in again. He might cry a bit but you’d know in a few minutes he’d put himself to sleep. 

So I’d say it definitely works.

However we’re currently experiencing a massive regression. He’s got a cold which u don’t think helps. But currently he goes to bed fine, but always wakes up after an hour or two and screams his head off. Like inconsolable, uncontrollable sobbing and screaming. No amount of settling will calm him down and I either have to rock him back to sleep or he goes into the bed with his mom.

Hopefully it’s just his cold, but it’s not fun going back to no sleep!

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It went really well with Jack. Still wasn’t sleeping through the night, he’d be up about 4 but would go back to sleep. And he got to the stage where we’d put him down and yoj wouldn’t even have to go in again. He might cry a bit but you’d know in a few minutes he’d put himself to sleep. 

However we’re currently experiencing a massive regression. He’s got a cold which u don’t think helps. But currently he goes to bed fine, but always wakes up after an hour or two and screams his head off. Like inconsolable, uncontrollable sobbing and screaming. No amount of settling will calm him down and I either have to rock him back to sleep or he goes into the bed with his mom.

This requires drugs, or as babies like to call it calpol. You can also give them baby ibuprofen at the same time depending how bad it is. Wake up to crying inject babies mouth with a shot of Calpol and shot of ibuprofen. Go back to sleep. 

This is the way. 

Just now, villaglint said:

This requires drugs, or as babies like to call it calpol. You can also give them baby ibuprofen at the same time depending how bad it is. Wake up to crying inject babies mouth with a shot of Calpol and shot of ibuprofen. Go back to sleep. 

This is the way. 

Or, those of us with Irish parents/grandparents, brandy or whiskey on the gums....

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, villaglint said:

This is the way. 

Tried it. Calpol and Nurofen. Nothing

Opiods next

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I hope it's just a cold, but we had this with my boy from about 5 months old. Would wake up every few hours screaming. We went back time and again to the GP and eventually referred to ENT. 

Turns out he had enlarged adenoids and tonsils which were removed when he was 18 months old. He would wake up every few hours simply because he couldn't breathe properly, and developed sleep apnea.

My point is if this doesn't go away keep on pestering your GP. My boy is now 11 and still now really struggles to go to sleep because of all the issues he had when he was very small. Wish we were more pushy so he got sorted more quickly.

• Sad 1

Our other problem with Jack is his continued lack of desire to ever eat anything. Every meal whether it’s solids or a bottle is a battle. 

I can honestly say there have only been 2 occasions, literally, where I’ve fed him his bottle and he’s actually wanted it. Like reach for it and opened his mouth and gulped it down. 

Every other time it’s a fight to make him eat. I think he’d starve to death if we waited for him to want to eat. 

It’s proper draining after a while. We just dread every meal time because it’s such a drawn out effort. 

We saw his cousin the other day who is, admittedly, 6 months older but I couldn’t believe my eyes when he got given his food and just wolfed it all down himself and drank his drink like an alcoholic having his first pint. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

You guys are really selling being  a parent to me 😂

It’s really really **** hard. 

Of course it’s all worth it. But I actually get a bit annoyed at how hard it is just because I feel like nobody wants you how shit it can be 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Our other problem with Jack is his continued lack of desire to ever eat anything. Every meal whether it’s solids or a bottle is a battle. 

I can honestly say there have only been 2 occasions, literally, where I’ve fed him his bottle and he’s actually wanted it. Like reach for it and opened his mouth and gulped it down. 

Every other time it’s a fight to make him eat. I think he’d starve to death if we waited for him to want to eat. 

It’s proper draining after a while. We just dread every meal time because it’s such a drawn out effort. 

We saw his cousin the other day who is, admittedly, 6 months older but I couldn’t believe my eyes when he got given his food and just wolfed it all down himself and drank his drink like an alcoholic having his first pint. 

My daughter was the opposite, didn’t stop eating. Permanently hungry. As a baby she was nagging for bottles every 2 hours around the clock. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Of course it’s all worth it. But I actually get a bit annoyed at how hard it is just because I feel like nobody wants you how shit it can be 😂

Can't get my head around why people do it twice

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You know what stevo i respect that. People paint it as its all smiles and all is good but alot of people  hide the lows and dont speak  openly how hard it is.

Im sure there is many many rewarding aspects of being a parent but when people say they dont want kids all you get is from most people " its not that hard"  or "you will be ok dont worry" without giving you answers ti hour questions such as not having much childcare if needed.

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Genie said:

and progressively more and more expensive 

I genuinely don’t know how poor people have children. 

That’s not meant to be derogatory. It’s just so **** expensive. I’ll fully admit I had no idea how expensive childcare was. Its insane

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I genuinely don’t know how poor people have children. 

That’s not meant to be derogatory. It’s just so **** expensive. I’ll fully admit I had no idea how expensive childcare was. Its insane

I'd imagine at that point its more cost effective for one parent not to work and be a stay at home parent. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

Â