Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

On 28/07/2022 at 19:14, foreveryoung said:

Don't be thinking tablets are bad for children, as did a friend of mine used to tell me. My lad has had a tablet since he was 3 and has learnt so much from it, he is now 7. Believe it or not, even things like Ryans world, which you would think is not really educational, a child can learn so much from. Countries, when they go on holiday, he told me where Paris was and what the Eiffel tower is, educational toys he plays with etc, while always listening to words, sentences and what they mean. You obviously have to keep an eye on what they are watching, , but to be fair we have never had to tell our lad not to watch something, as he has learnt what's for him, he even watches on normal YouTube now, not kids. Keeps them entertained too, gives you a bit of space, an would much rather him be on You Tube, than disappearing playing normal computer games, like, COD or Fifa.

I read this whole thing thinking you were talking about medicine tablets. I was very confused :D 

My lad already watches youtube for ages. he loves it. I won't shy away from a kids tablet once he's old enough

• Like 1

On 27/07/2022 at 16:13, GeorgeVilla82 said:

We were exactly the same with our second. Had to push the GP to get Omeprazole, and it definitely helped but didn't solve them problem entirely. It was awful - projectile vomiting after every single feed, refusing to feed, tongue tie...

Unfortunately, it only completely went at about 9/10 months when she was eating proper textured foods. I know that doesn't help when you're in the middle of it, but keep going - it will get better. 

My youngest had the same and vomited warm milk in my mouth after feeding when my defences were down. Should have got the message then in all fairness 

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I read this whole thing thinking you were talking about medicine tablets. I was very confused :D 

My lad already watches youtube for ages. he loves it. I won't shy away from a kids tablet once he's old enough

My 7 year old has been watching rubbish on YouTube for years. I blame her mum. Mainly loud US gamers playing Roblox and Minecraft. I can’t stand it but I’ve given up.

My 6 month old I’m trying to avoid getting in to the same habit of watching that nonsense from a young age but I guess it’s inevitable.

Edit: The amazon fire for kids is decent though.  She’s had it for years now and still likes it. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My fiancée has 2 little granddaughters both under 4 yrs old and they have come to stay with us for a few days.

Now, I've never been a parent and all of a sudden I have been propelled into a world of step grandpa.

Jesus Christ ! These two would shame a duracell bunny for energy levels ! That's fine but the lil buggers are in to everything and everywhere with regular crashes in the next room, bickering with each other, taking it in apparent relays to have screaming hissy fits - sometimes at the same time. The older one will sneakily try and pinch or kick her sister or lamp her with whatever toy she has to hand. Cue eruptions of screaming and then the older one starts bawling too just to get attention or deflect the blame. The house is a bombsite, toys, dolls and random lego pieces strewn everywhere 

Those VTers who are in this position and love being grandparents (Mr Mooney for example)....I take my hat off to you all.

I think I am still in shock 😯

Edited by mottaloo

4 hours ago, mottaloo said:

My fiancée has 2 little granddaughters both under 4 yrs old and they have come to stay with us for a few days.

Now, I've never been a parent and all of a sudden I have been propelled into a world of step grandpa.

Jesus Christ ! These two would shame a duracell bunny for energy levels ! That's fine but the lil buggers are in to everything and everywhere with regular crashes in the next room, bickering with each other, taking it in apparent relays to have screaming hissy fits - sometimes at the same time. The older one will sneakily try and pinch or kick her sister or lamp her with whatever toy she has to hand. Cue eruptions of screaming and then the older one starts bawling too just to get attention or deflect the blame. The house is a bombsite, toys, dolls and random lego pieces strewn everywhere 

Those VTers who are in this position and love being grandparents (Mr Mooney for example)....I take my hat off to you all.

I believe the joy in being a grandparent comes in being able to give them back after a while. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mottaloo said:

This is virtually indentical to our current situation. A 3 year old and a 2 year old, with us three days every week. Every night when they go home the house looks like it's been hit by Genghis Khan's mob. They are cousins, rather than sisters, but they are naturally as close as. Fortunately they get on pretty well with each other most of the time, but yeah, we have to referee the occasional punch-up. Then, as it's the school holidays, we sometimes get the 3 year old's big (7) sister in the mix. Rather than keeping them under control, she's like a gang boss who leads them on even more destructive raids. 

I love them to pieces, but bloody hell, it's hard work. 

• Thanks 1

I didn’t notice any discernible difference in my daughter at the age of 2 than any other year. I don’t think there was a larger amount of tantrums and meltdowns at that age anyway. 

At the age of 6 she’s doing a more inwardly moody sulk when things don’t go 100% of her way all of the time. Fortunately this passes by fairly quickly. I’m sure it will remain this way well into her teenage years…

@Mark Albrightonand @mjmooney thanks for confirming that I am not alone in dealing with the devil's spawn.

I think it's just that I've gone from single bloke to step grandpa in the space of 2 years, but this is the first time they've both stayed at my place for more than one night and it's been a bit of a shock

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

@Mark Albrightonand @mjmooney thanks for confirming that I am not alone in dealing with the devil's spawn.

I think it's just that I've gone from single bloke to step grandpa in the space of 2 years, but this is the first time they've both stayed at my place for more than one night and it's been a bit of a shock

Oh, overnight is above and beyond. 

If it's any consolation, previous parenting experience is much less use than you might think. Basically, you forget it all, and have to start from scratch. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I didn’t notice any discernible difference in my daughter at the age of 2 than any other year. I don’t think there was a larger amount of tantrums and meltdowns at that age anyway. 

My seven year old has worse tantrums now than at any earlier age. His third year was a breeze in comparison. Mind you, he’s had a tough year with me and his mom splitting and everything, but f*** me the boy packs a temper. Normally, and towards everyone else except his parents, he’s a kind, considerate saint. But if I say no to something he’s got his mind set on, bloody hell ensues. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, El Zen said:

My seven year old has worse tantrums now than at any earlier age. His third year was a breeze in comparison. Mind you, he’s had a tough year with me and his mom splitting and everything, but f*** me the boy packs a temper. Normally, and towards everyone else except his parents, he’s a kind, considerate saint. But if I say no to something he’s got his mind set on, bloody hell ensues. 

Our seven year old very rarely has tantrums (at least with us). She's more like a teenager when pissed off - whiney and sulking. 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Our seven year old very rarely has tantrums (at least with us). She's more like a teenager when pissed off - whiney and sulking. 

My lad never has tantrums when he’s with his grandmother, or in school, or anywhere else. It’s really only with me he really loses it sometimes. I guess a little son-to-father opposition isn’t entirely uncommon. I’m a fairly mild-mannered person, as is my son, but I would really push my dad to the limit sometimes. 

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I’ve just done a 14 hour car-ferry-car journey from west cork to birmingham along with 7 month old jack. 

Stressful is an understatement 

Am thinking about doing a crossing one day (if for no other reason than to fill my boot with clon white pud, Barry's tea, kerpink spuds, bolands biscuits and tanora).

Was it swansea rosslare you took ? What's it like ? Good standard service and daycint drive from rosslare ?

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I’ve just done a 14 hour car-ferry-car journey from west cork to birmingham along with 7 month old jack. 

Stressful is an understatement 

Sounds like hell. 

We did four and a half hours on a packed ferry when the boy was a year. One of the worst travel experiences I’ve ever had. 

Nothing says kid's birthday to me more than being sat in the garage by myself first thing in the morning and getting more and more frustrated trying to decipher instructions on how to build some random present. 

• Like 1

On 26/08/2022 at 09:03, mottaloo said:

Just get one of these, problem solved.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Â