Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

10 hours ago, Xela said:

I'd imagine at that point its more cost effective for one parent not to work and be a stay at home parent. 

Yeah we’re not a million miles away. If we had 2 kids both in childcare then it would definitely cost more to put them into nursery than IDKWTCH would be bringing home. 

Really shouldn’t be that way

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah we’re not a million miles away. If we had 2 kids both in childcare then it would definitely cost more to put them into nursery than IDKWTCH would be bringing home. 

Really shouldn’t be that way

It shouldnt. Childcare costs scares me. The nursey fees are like a mortgage.

Then what happens in 20-25 years in the future- kids are going to potentially need 2 cars, 2 uni fees if they go, 2 homes etc. How the hell is anyone gonna afford that with the way things are now? Let alone in 20 years?

51 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It shouldnt. Childcare costs scares me. The nursey fees are like a mortgage.

Then what happens in 20-25 years in the future- kids are going to potentially need 2 cars, 2 uni fees if they go, 2 homes etc. How the hell is anyone gonna afford that with the way things are now? Let alone in 20 years?

It’s more than a mortgage to be honest

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, El Zen said:

State subsidised childcare, reduced rates for low income households. Iz da way to go, man. 

Yep. And to be fair the government do a tax thing where they pay 20% of your childcare fees. But it’s “only” up to £500 every quarter. Which doesn’t even pay for half a month if your kid is in full time. 

When they turn 3 they get 30 free hours a week which makes it entirely more affordable. 

but still, it’s not enough 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villarule123 said:

When they reach 3 and you get the 30 hours free care, it makes everything easier.

Then when they start school, you basically get your life back.

And at that sweet spot right there with twins was when the other half decided she wanted 1 more.

Dont get me wrong love her to bits be we was so so close 

6 hours ago, villarule123 said:

When they reach 3 and you get the 30 hours free care, it makes everything easier.

Do you? I think the stress levels get worse after that. You can control what happens up until that point. When they start school they start making their own choices, who they hang with, how they behave in class etc.

Then after that becomes the very worrying stage when they get older and then start going out independently then your up at night worried until they get home.

I feel so bad now for the all nighters i use to do for my folks

Edited by Demitri_C

It's not just the cost of childcare it's that you then still need a degree of flexibility with whatever jobs you both have 

The amount of kindergarten time my daughter missed was crazy, one kid has a cold and it closes the place down let alone corona scares etc 

When they're at school they're still finishing at 3.30, the idea of us both having 9 to 5 office jobs has gone 

Fortunately the wife has 2 years parental leave, 1st year paid at 66%, 2nd year unpaid, £200 a month per child from ze German government 

9 hours ago, villarule123 said:

Never thought having summer babies would be an advantage in that respect, but compared with a September birthday, you have more or less a year less in nursery. We have 2 summer birthdays, so almost two years avoided fees, which is lucky as when the second starts they will easily outweigh the mortgage.

Just now, El Zen said:

When would you say it’s okay for kids to get their own phone? 

It’s getting younger and younger.

My daughter had one about 7 but I have an app on it to lock it down to any unsuitable sites or apps, and sends me a summary of what she’s using . You can set screen time limits and stuff. 

On 03/09/2022 at 06:36, Mozzavfc said:

@PieFacE @Stevo985 how are you doing with the Ferber method? Just to start with my 6 month old 

We actually gave up on it quite quickly. My other half wasn't comfortable with just leaving him crying which I understood as it wasn't exactly a walk in the park for me either. She also had the opinion that she thought it was better that one of us be there if he felt he needed us. I don't know enough about how babies develop to really argue against it so I just went with it as she felt quite strongly about it. But his sleep isn't too bad now, I think naturally he's just sleeping longer which is nice. He went from waking up every hour and needing someone there to sleeping on his own from 6pm to 6am and needing a couple of feeds in the night which is very manageable compared to how it was. 

Â