The Women’s European Championships 2022

Genie

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I've had a few funny pics tonight tbf

Far less "we'd give these a game" in the football WhatsApp though so there is progress 

It don't take away the achievement today at all anyway, if anything it shows the men up.

They were rocking a bit in the second half, when Germany went for it and seized the momentum. BUT... if that had been the men's team, heads would have dropped, they'd have been thinking "Oh, no, here we go, we're going to lose this now". But the thing with this women's team - and Wiegmann must take much of the credit - is that yes, they can turn it on and swagger when they're on top, but more importantly, they dig in when they're under the cosh, they don't fold. Sure, they had to ride their luck a bit, but was that never-say-die mindset that got them through. 

Now let's take it to the Yanks. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Love how passionate Ian Wright is about England and the woman’s game.

I did love his passion but did feel he was going over board. Not with what he was saying just time and place.

He said his piece and rightly so but then turned every question about praise of them back around. 

I suppose what better place to say it than when it’s being watched by millions after a win.

Delighted for the team and even more so for the little girls watching that will be inspired by it. 

She must be a great psychological motivator. She's turned Mary Earps into a confident goalkeeper, she kept faith with Daly after her nightmare against Spain, she didn't sub Stanway (until very late on) even though she was on a yellow and Oberdorf was winding her up, and so on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

3883500761_227d28b955_m.jpg

Sarina Wiegman

national treasure 

Spitting image of Kerry Katona. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

She must be a great psychological motivator. She's turned Mary Earps into a confident goalkeeper, she kept faith with Daly after her nightmare against Spain, she didn't sub Stanway (until very late on) even though she was on a yellow and Oberdorf was winding her up, and so on. 

The fact she’s now won 2 home championships, with all the expectation and pressure that comes with is an incredible personal achievement. I think it says a lot about her character. 

Even players that didn’t get any game time in these championships were jumping all over her at the final whistle, she is obviously well liked within the group. 

I read an article about her on the BBC the other day (apologises I can’t find it now) with interviews from people that know her. She got a gig as a coach at a Dutch mens team and the bloke that managed them (apologises again for not remembering the team or it’s manager at the time) said that he really believes that she would be a great manager for Dutch mens team. 

She seems incredibly well regarded in football. 

9 minutes ago, jim said:

I did love Russo trying to see what was on that note. No idea if she actually speaks German or was just trying to wind the German player up 🤣

2 hours ago, Genie said:

The slow mo of Kelly running with her shirt off my Mrs says “oh wow, look at her face”

Sorry love, I’m not looking at her face… :lol: 

Shirt removal is always a yellow card, but the player never cares, it's worth it. 

Would bra removal be an automatic red, and would it still be worth it? 

Wow. What a day for England Women! 😀 I've been watching their games since 2011, with the disappointment of three semi-final exits in a row before this tournament.

Strangely, about a week ago when I was day dreaming about the final I decided I'd like Chloe Kelly to score the winner in extra-time... and she did! 😮 I'm so pleased for her.  : > 

And what a goal that first goal was! What an amazing long pass from Keira Walsh and what an amazing lob from Ella Toone !

Â