The Women’s European Championships 2022

Genie

Just an observation ...

I am wondering if men's football seems to be more "tribal" in that we generally follow one club through thick and thin and many of us are "meh" when it comes to England.

Whereas is the women's game it is the opposite? great support for the England team but not a huge interest for the individual clubs..

I have to say I watched all the women's England games in the Euros and thoroughly enjoyed them, I thought the games were entertaining, lack of back chat to the ref, very little diving and no cheating was refreshing to see....it was how the game should be played, yes there were mistakes but that happens in every game of footy. I thought the women of all team in the competition played very high standard footy to be honest.

I just hope that with all the talk of chucking money at the women,s game it does not cause it to then go on to create the environment of the cheating, diving and moaning that continually goes on in the mens game

Well done England....(I hope "safegate" was watching)

Regards

Derek

• Like 1

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

Just an observation ...

I am wondering if men's football seems to be more "tribal" in that we generally follow one club through thick and thin and many of us are "meh" when it comes to England.

Already being highlighted on the radio, there is a marked lack of tribalism in the womens game. Therefore there is a huge concern that the influx of new fans will only support 1 of the 3 best teams. 

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Well they want pay parity with the men. This is part of it. 

Pay parity at which level though? International I can agree with but club level you need to bring in the fans the tv revenue and sponsorships.  At present they are probably paid similar to League 2/Conference which I think is fair.

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

Whereas is the women's game it is the opposite? great support for the England team but not a huge interest for the individual clubs

That's an astute observation, and one that chimes with me. Men's footie, I only care about the Villa, not at all about England. With the women, I really enjoyed the England team performances, and was delighted with their achievements, but have no interest in following the Villa women's team. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Already being highlighted on the radio, there is a marked lack of tribalism in the womens game. Therefore there is a huge concern that the influx of new fans will only support 1 of the 3 best teams. 

I take it they're expecting new fans to be completely new to football then? 

I'd have thought they'd just transfer over from the mens game, would be weird if Villa fans started supporting man city's women's team 

Its then on villa dads isn't it, get your girls supporting the villa same way you would your boys, tell them they can have a foreign team if they want to glory hunt - I'm sure that's changing to the usual suspects now too isn't it? Bayern are catching wolfsburg, teams have caught arsenal, psg have caught lyon 

There is something cool in the idea of getting my daughter to be a massive glory hunting wolfsburg fan 

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I take it they're expecting new fans to be completely new to football then? 

I'd have thought they'd just transfer over from the mens game, would be weird if Villa fans started supporting man city's women's team 

Its then on villa dads isn't it, get your girls supporting the villa same way you would your boys, tell them they can have a foreign team if they want to glory hunt - I'm sure that's changing to the usual suspects now too isn't it? Bayern are catching wolfsburg, teams have caught arsenal, psg have caught lyon 

There is something cool in the idea of getting my daughter to be a massive glory hunting wolfsburg fan 

Depends if you are historic football fan, then loyalties will go to your team.

If you are a young 5-15 year old girl with no previous loyalties; then its likely to be Man City, Chelsea or Arsenal I'm afraid.

My daughter is aware that in our household you support Villa or you are going to be homeless. But if I weren't around, she'd probably support whoever Russo plays for. 

Just now, pas5898 said:

If you are a young 5-15 year old girl with no previous loyalties; then its likely to be Man City, Chelsea or Arsenal I'm afraid.

My daughter is aware that in our household you support Villa or you are going to be homeless. But if I weren't around, she'd probably support whoever Russo plays for. 

That's the same as what Perez et Al claimed for the mens teams then, kids are picking up players rather than teams 

I'm the same as money, I was watching the final kind of knowing a few of the players but genuinely unaware of who they played for or much about their career, I found myself being far more relaxed watching it, there was never a moment where I thought "she's shit" or "she's only there because of her club team, the player on the bench or the player left at home is better and english football will never change" that plagues the men's game for me, I don't enjoy watching England 

Women football have become very good at getting big crowds when they make events and special occasions but most clubs can't get people to come and watch league or CL games.

Barca set some fantastic records this season with over 90.000 watching, but at the same time they had games with around 800 the league. The average attendance of about 9000 looks great but it's massively inflated by those two CL games with over 90.000. Take away those and the average is something like 2000.

No idea how it looks in England but in Sweden it's the same story. Only two clubs average 1000 people or more and some only get a couple 100. The FA are really good at getting people to come watch the national side if it's a big game with some games around 25k-33k and that's great. Loads of younger people interested so something to build from. Problem in Sweden thou is the league getting worse now that big clubs in Europe have serious women sections and teams with way more money.

5 hours ago, sne said:

Women football have become very good at getting big crowds when they make events and special occasions but most clubs can't get people to come and watch league or CL games.

Barca set some fantastic records this season with over 90.000 watching, but at the same time they had games with around 800 the league. The average attendance of about 9000 looks great but it's massively inflated by those two CL games with over 90.000. Take away those and the average is something like 2000.

No idea how it looks in England but in Sweden it's the same story. Only two clubs average 1000 people or more and some only get a couple 100. The FA are really good at getting people to come watch the national side if it's a big game with some games around 25k-33k and that's great. Loads of younger people interested so something to build from. Problem in Sweden thou is the league getting worse now that big clubs in Europe have serious women sections and teams with way more money.

Yes I think the average attendance in the WSL last season was about 3000. 

22 hours ago, pas5898 said:

Jeez that poor girl.  In the last couple of days you've promised to two foot her and throw her out on the street 😁

Edited by Wainy316
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Jeez that poor girl.  In the last couple of girls you've promised to two foot her and throw her out on the street 😁

Not exactly painting myself in a good light here. Child services imminent. 

• Haha 1

Â