Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

This one will hurt as he's a popular guy and liked by so many Villa but he is not good enough for where we are going nor even where we are at.

3 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

One of my fave players, I'd be gutted to see Diego leave 😭

Based on what criteria? I had great hope for him but on the whole he’s not done it apart from a few matches.

• Like 1

the thing is, imo he is a decent backup player.

the issue is that a backup central defender on 100k p/w is just madness, and for that reason alone we really need to offload him.

We are in a position where a player on 100k p/w + should either be a starter, or out of the door.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

the thing is, imo he is a decent backup player.

the issue is that a backup central defender on 100k p/w is just madness, and for that reason alone we really need to offload him.

We are in a position where a player on 100k p/w + should either be a starter, or out of the door.

Agree but this will obviously change in the near future. With our success and improvement in our squad you’ll find the bench littered with 100k + players I think and hope lol

49 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

you dont watch many matches where he plays then?

47 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Based on what criteria? I had great hope for him but on the whole he’s not done it apart from a few matches.

I didn't realise the sole criteria of liking a player is based on performances alone. 

He's a fantastic bloke, I can imagine he's great to have around the dressing room and people seem to forget the extent of the injury he suffered when he first came here. 

We could do a hell of a lot worse than having Diego in the ranks. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

For all the big games he has had he's given the ball away cheaply that have led to goals in too many games for my liking

How many times has he done that? Bournemouth away is all I can remember.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

How many times has he done that? Bournemouth away is all I can remember.

First game against Manure. Gave away first goal with shocking pass 

• Like 1

Get him gone. 

Konsa and Torres aside, we need a whole new set of defenders. Mings coming back as good as he was before can’t be relied upon.

LB, RB, CB needed.

They have to have pace. If we’re going to play that slow coach Torres, we need to mask how weak his defending is with pace surrounding him. 

• Haha 1

Better to sell him and a couple of fringe players to raise £50m than sell a Luiz or Ramsey isn't it? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I think he was going to be sold in August only for Mings got injured

There was a strong rumour last summer that Lopetegui wanted him at Wolves but fee/salary may have been an issue? This came from a Wolves supporter I know who claims to have some knowledge of what goes on at the club. May have been nonsense though, who knows really? 

Now with Lopetegui looking likely to be at West Ham, I wouldn’t be surprised if West Ham came in for him. That’s if Carlos fancies staying in the Premier League of course and if he has a good relationship with Lopetegui? 

13 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

There was a strong rumour last summer that Lopetegui wanted him at Wolves but fee/salary may have been an issue? This came from a Wolves supporter I know who claims to have some knowledge of what goes on at the club. May have been nonsense though, who knows really? 

Now with Lopetegui looking likely to be at West Ham, I wouldn’t be surprised if West Ham came in for him. That’s if Carlos fancies staying in the Premier League of course and if he has a good relationship with Lopetegui? 

I think he would suit West Ham well. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It's weird he looks aggressive and a player whom would win a lot of aerial duels and tackles, but aside from fouling people he doesn't really read the game well, to be honest there is only Konsa in that back line, does or did when playing at CB, it highlights how much we have missed Mings who at worst gambles and sometimes misses a key interception but most of the time gets it right. Whereas Torres, Carlos and Lenglet watch as players coast by them especially at set pieces. Torres does play out well and so can Carlos and I think the former can read the game but is just not that fast or aggressive, Carlos is but has no footballing brain. Ironically he wouldn't be that bad alongside Konsa or Mings.

I really hope Olson, Lenglet and he go as every time I see those names on our teams sheet I shudder 

Edited by VillanousOne

Posted (edited)

We going to obviously want a fee for him and he's probably not going to want to accept a big drop in wages. 

Yes I'd rather generate cash by getting rid of fringe players than a player like Luiz who we could probably sell for 80 million but it's not easy to do that.

If Carlos stays and with the return of Mings then we can look at other areas ti strengthen. Obviously it wouid be good to get him off the wage bill and sign a younger cb on lower wages as bsck up

Edited by PaulC

Â