Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

39 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

was weird as someone that often moans about VAR , that I found myself missing it last night , Ollies Goal & their first goal both looked off and then this penalty shout (I thought Gordon dived)  and there was another one with Wilson ?   ..

maybe we need it after all .... 

No we don’t need it, particularly not in a bloody friendly / warm up game where the result is inconsequential.

I didn’t think either of those goals were offside, it certainly looked like Gordon dived for his penalty shout, the only iffy decision was the Carlos tackle.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

VAR is fine. It’s how these idiots use it sometimes that infuriate people. 

Carlos looks rusty which is understandable. Needs more game time.  

VAR isn't the issue.  What is needed though are for the laws of the game to be updated / re-written to be fit for the VAR world, for them to be clear and precise (i.e. so that as much "interpretation" of the rules as possible is removed), for the laws to be written in a way that they can be applied quickly (i.e. if no obvious reason to over-turn then stick with the onfield decision - no more of this checking whether a player is 2mm offside from four different TV angles), for the laws to be applied consistently (which also means that the referees need to be willing to admit when they make a mistake - mistakes happen, it's not a big deal IF people admit it and take action to improve (what annoys fans is when the referees band together to "justify" a bad / inconsistent decision) and for the laws to be applied transparently (let us listen into the conversations between the referee and the VAR officials so that we can understand why they are making the decisions they are making).  I do think that for offsides they could easily adopt something like the "Umpire's Call" from cricket - if the player is clearly onside or offside then over-rule the onfield decision, but if drawing a line across the pitch can't immediately determine either way then instead of spending 3 minutes trying to decide whether someone's left toe is 2mm in front or behind someone else's right armpit it sits in the "grey zone" and stays with whatever the onfield decision was.

VAR would have been interesting on Newcastle's first goal - it looked like one attacker was offside and the guy that scored wasn't.  However, the guy who was offside (Isak I think?) then rejoined the attack to provide the opportunity for the scorer to lay the ball off to him.  Even though he didn't - this could easily be construed as interferring with play because it was an option that the defending team had to allow for.  As for the penalty shout - my initial view was that he won the ball but he did come from behind the player and then made contact.  Definitely seen them given - although I don't think it was dangerous and was a deliberate (and successful) attempt to play the ball and not to play the man.  Definitely one where if you are the defending team you claim it was a fair challenge but the attacking team you're questioning where the tackle has come from and whether it was dangerous.

One of those where if the attacker is Ollie Watkins then it isn't given - but if it is Harry Kane then the referee is pointing to the spot before he even hits the deck!

Edited by allani
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

I don't think so. He will be a really good 4th choice.

I simply think that if Carlos gets back to his Sevilla fitness/performance levels that his comfort with the ball and aggressive nature on the pitch will be seen as the obvious partner for Torres with the way Emery plays.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Can’t see it at all tbh. Mings and konsa are so well drilled in our set up I think it Torres starts it’s in place of one of them. Carlos will take time 

Yes my point is once that time has been taken….

• Like 1

13 hours ago, paul514 said:

I simply think that if Carlos gets back to his Sevilla fitness/performance levels that his comfort with the ball and aggressive nature on the pitch will be seen as the obvious partner for Torres with the way Emery plays.

Isn't it amazing to have such choices?

• Like 3

Just now, mykeyb said:

Age, injury....do you think we might look to get money for him?

I thought the same to be honest. I suspect we won’t proactively look to sell him but if there was the right kind of interest, we may consider it. He’s a very expensive fourth choice centre back. Ideally you want that position filled by a young player who can become first choice in time.

Looks a monster on the pitch can see him getting the odd red card this season a no nonsense centre half that can play .... left some bodies out there the other night 🤣🤣 loves a diagonal ball & looks quick. Really think Emery is pairing him with Torres till they both get upto speed, Mings & Konsa will be our centre back pairing to start the season, did so well last season & don't see it changing until Carlos or Torres are fully up to speed.

21 hours ago, paul514 said:

Yes my point is once that time has been taken….

Right so you mean you can see him starting with Torres at some point, one day.

Yes, I think we can all agree that will happen at least once.

Edited by Tomaszk

I loved when Diego came forward very quickly up the center with the ball vs. Newcastle. He passed forward, but a Toon player managed to stick his foot out and stop it. Diego was angry at himself. Still, I loved it. It was like a big fist punching forward. Risky, but what a presence. Love this guy, personally. He might be aggressive, but he also shows a lot of humility and intelligence. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Right so you mean you can see him starting with Torres at some point, one day.

Yes, I think we can all agree that will happen at least once.

i meant as first choice not once 🤣

15 minutes ago, paul514 said:

i meant as first choice not once 🤣

He'll be at an incredible level if he can oust two of the other three without injuries.

Look forward to it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He'll be at an incredible level if he can oust two of the other three without injuries.

Look forward to it.

Well he's probably competing more with Konsa and not Torres or Mings. 

Watching him body Vinicius off the ball shows to be what he is about defensively. Fairly decent pace, good reading of the game and a crazy level of strength. I’m not sure we will see many players out muscle him. On the ball he looks decent too even if still a little bit rusty.

We have two CBs with a lot of strength and power in Mings and Carlos, one left footer and one right.

We also have two top CBs with a bit of finesse, one left footer one right. 

It gives a lot of depth and quality in that position. 

• Like 2

Some lovely, highly accurate passing, both short and long. Looks solid and which not the fasted, still has a turn of speed. I think we will be using him more than most assumed as when we have 2 ball playing of carrying CBs our options progressing are doubled.

What a dilemma for unai, I can see that with rotation we should always have a solid middle for defence and midfield, unless injuries kick in.

Just need that new 2nd keeper and hope archer continues his progress to have a strong spine of any team we put out.

1 hour ago, punkiller1981 said:

Watching him body Vinicius off the ball shows to be what he is about defensively. Fairly decent pace, good reading of the game and a crazy level of strength. I’m not sure we will see many players out muscle him. On the ball he looks decent too even if still a little bit rusty.

Vinicius was pulling his shirt the whole time as well and hardly had any impact on carlos. Insane strength

Â