Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

On loan. **** read.

His reputation is strong enough in Spain that he'd get a decent loan move there. Given his strong attachment to Sevilla he might even go back there if the timing is right but I think he'll be getting decent minutes in europe so see if that can translate to some premier league starts.

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Said last week on the arsenal "bottling" topic one of the games they lost in the run in they played something like the polish kid CB at LB, holding and White at CB and partey at RB because I think Gabriel was suspended 

Holding replacing Saliba is pretty much arsenals bottle job 

Don’t think this ever happened mate but having Holding as a centre half was definitely a massive blow to them.  Fine margins. 

On 31/05/2023 at 20:16, M_Afro said:

I’ve got a feeling that Diego may leave this summer. We are likely to sign a starting centre back which could potentially push Diego back to fourth choice. I suspect he will not be happy with that and I also feel that it’s not a good position for the club to be in, having such an expensive resource so far down the food chain. They’ll maybe want to sell him before his value totally plummets. 

I think we should keep Carlos, but I did see some rumours about Wolves being interested in him. Now Napoli are bidding for Kilman they will need a decent replacement, so who knows?! 

On 01/07/2023 at 06:08, TomC said:

I'm not someone who wants to sell off, say, Dendoncker. I understand squad depth. And at this point, if we're going to have all 4 of Konsa/Mings/Diego/Torres for this year, great. I just worry about the long-term stability of this particular situation, i.e. after this season.

I'm a believer that you want your team to be roughly 50% players who are at the peak of the career, 25% older players who may not be able to put in as many minutes but bring leadership and experience to the table, and 25% younger players who are working their way up the ladder and are your future. (I said roughly, it could be 20-60-20 or whatever.) JJ is a good example of the youngster, Ashley Young a good example of the old guy. Both were able to contribute many, many meaningful minutes last year, but neither one expected to play, or did play, every match. They weren't second rate players, just not at their peak.

The problem with Diego/Mings/Konsa/Torres is that you have 4 players at the peak of their career. That's where I think that someone might be unhappy. On the top of that, CBs seem to be the least rotated, even in teams that rotate heavily. They also seem to be the least subbed late in matches. When you're the critical last line of defence, developing an understanding and knowing what your partner is going to do is crucial. I just don't see Unai doing a 4 CB rotation in PL matches, and is Diego (or is anyone else among the 4) going to be happy playing just League Cup matches? What if we go out early from one or both domestic cups again? If, say, Mings and Torres are outstanding in the PL, is Unai really going to want to change for European matches?

Someone is probably going to want out next summer. I am not saying sell any of them right now.

Konsa isn't at his peak yet, he could potentially be better than all of them in a couple of years (not saying he will) 

I think that would be a fantastic quartet of CB's should Diego get back to full fitness, not many teams in the league would have that much strength in depth. 

• Like 1

Interesting to see how right footed Feeney is but he’s playing on the left, and Carlos is on the right despite playing left sided before. Wonder if Emery wants him to get used to being right sided again and build up a relationship with Cash

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Interesting to see how right footed Feeney is but he’s playing on the left, and Carlos is on the right despite playing left sided before. Wonder if Emery wants him to get used to being right sided again and build up a relationship with Cash

And typically in second half he’s gone left side 

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

More like he wants Carlos to get accustomed to playing on the right side, as tbh, nobody is going to get that left centre back role over Pau.

• Confused 1

On 16/07/2023 at 05:36, Demitri_C said:

Good to see carlos back. Going to be a big player for us i think. Wouldnt be suprised if he was tested as a left back in pre season if digne goes

He's 30 years old coming off Achilles injury right footed only played CB almost all RCB(49 of last 50 on one site) that I can tell? How does he end up as Left FB?

On 15/07/2023 at 18:36, Demitri_C said:

Good to see carlos back. Going to be a big player for us i think. Wouldnt be suprised if he was tested as a left back in pre season if digne goes

I haven’t seen anything to suggest he’s capable of playing at left back

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

He's 30 years old coming off Achilles injury right footed only played CB almost all RCB(49 of last 50 on one site) that I can tell? How does he end up as Left FB?

He was played at lcb saturday its probably nothing but wouldnt supirse me if we see it in pre season as dogne has no competition there.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He was played at lcb saturday its probably nothing but wouldnt supirse me if we see it in pre season as dogne has no competition there.

Konsa has played significant number of minutes at RB for us previously. Should we just play 4 CBs including right footer at left fullback? He'd get destroyed

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Konsa has played significant number of minutes at RB for us previously. Should we just play 4 CBs including right footer at left fullback? He'd get destroyed

Dont recall konsa getting destroyed?

Until we know who is going in and out we dont know. Tell me who plays left back if digne gets injured as morenos injured?

Edited by Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Dont recall konsa getting destroyed?

Until we know who is going in and out we dont know. Tell me who plays left back if digne gets injured as morenos injured?

Mings

Â