Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

5 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Be like a new signing again next season. Shame we lost him for pretty much the entire season, he looked great in the few games he played. 

Think he'll be starting regularly in europe to build up his match fitness, I assume he was starting every week when Sevilla won the europa in 19/20?

• Like 1

I’ve got a feeling that Diego may leave this summer. We are likely to sign a starting centre back which could potentially push Diego back to fourth choice. I suspect he will not be happy with that and I also feel that it’s not a good position for the club to be in, having such an expensive resource so far down the food chain. They’ll maybe want to sell him before his value totally plummets. 
It’ s also much better to have Chambers as fourth choice. He is likely to be more accepting of that position, he offers cover at right back and centre mid too. He is also fairly low value and won’t suffer from a vastly depreciated transfer value like Diego.

I obviously don’t know anything but I also think it’s odd that he didn’t get hardly any game time after his injury. Unai said that he was ready but never played him. If he was in the plans, I’m sure he would have been used a bit more often. It just feels like a good time to cash in.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I’ve got a feeling that Diego may leave this summer. We are likely to sign a starting centre back which could potentially push Diego back to fourth choice. I suspect he will not be happy with that and I also feel that it’s not a good position for the club to be in, having such an expensive resource so far down the food chain. They’ll maybe want to sell him before his value totally plummets. 
It’ s also much better to have Chambers as fourth choice. He is likely to be more accepting of that position, he offers cover at right back and centre mid too. He is also fairly low value and won’t suffer from a vastly depreciated transfer value like Diego.

I obviously don’t know anything but I also think it’s odd that he didn’t get hardly any game time after his injury. Unai said that he was ready but never played him. If he was in the plans, I’m sure he would have been used a bit more often. It just feels like a good time to cash in.

Konsa and Mings we're a rock in defence how many goals conceded in 14 games  ? That was one of the best partnerships in the Premier League that was never going to change .Carlos has to work for it if he wants it.He has the quality and skill no doubt.

10 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

Konsa and Mings we're a rock in defence how many goals conceded in 14 games  ? That was one of the best partnerships in the Premier League that was never going to change .Carlos has to work for it if he wants it.He has the quality and skill no doubt.

I know but we have to consider ffp. Part of managing that is selling players at the right time. That’s exactly what we did with Ings and I suspect there will be other similar outs this summer. I think that Diego could be one of those along with Buendia. We need to operate intelligently. That means selling some decent players along the way.

Nah, I agree there might be some shock departures but unless there are lingering injury doubts then there's no chance he's leaving imo. I can't wait to see him in action. In his prime, looks strong as an ox, comfortable on the ball, European experience. I think not rushing him back is going to help him long term so the form of Konsa and Mings has been a positive. But we're one injury away from needing 90 mins out of him every week atm. Chambers and Hause will leave before this guy.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Nah, I agree there might be some shock departures but unless there are lingering injury doubts then there's no chance he's leaving imo. I can't wait to see him in action. In his prime, looks strong as an ox, comfortable on the ball, European experience. I think not rushing him back is going to help him long term so the form of Konsa and Mings has been a positive. But we're one injury away from needing 90 mins out of him every week atm. Chambers and Hause will leave before this guy.

Yes, it's not as if Mings and Konsa are going to magically stay injury free forever! (At least not realistically anyway). Sooner or later one of them will probably pick up an injury and we need a top quality back-up for when that happens. It could happen suddenly this year if we/they are unlucky, you never know what's round the corner in football with injuries. :s (As we were reminded last August with poor Diego!)

1 minute ago, robby b said:

Yes, it's not as if Mings and Konsa are going to magically stay injury free forever! (At least not realistically anyway). Sooner or later one of them will probably pick up an injury and we need a top quality back-up for when that happens. It could happen suddenly this year if we/they are unlucky, you never know what's round the corner in football with injuries. :s (As we were reminded last August with poor Diego!)

I stress about keeping players happy on management games so God knows how people do it IRL 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, M_Afro said:

It all depends on his injury tbf. Given his age and the severity of the injury, he might be better suited to being a rotation option/conference game starter rather than insisting on playing every game. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I know but we have to consider ffp. Part of managing that is selling players at the right time.

£30m on a 4-year-deal means if we sell him this summer we'd have to get back around £22.5m + wages to cover the amortisation costs so can't see it happening.

Personally think he will be a big player next season. His range of passing etc. is a huge plus for Emery. That and (hopefully) European and domestic cup games mean that he will play a fair chunk of games.

16 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I don't think he will leave, but he probably will and should be 3rd choice CB next season Konsa has done more than enough this season to cement a starting place next season, so unless we buy a new outstanding CB I don't see any changes in the CB pairing of the 6th/7th best defence in the league.

He’ll be first choice next season, and rightly so. Konsa will either be right back or rotation. Konsa has been really good this year, but doesn’t have the range of passing that Diego does, and Diego is also more imposing in the air (plus a lovely cheeky 3cm taller). 

• Like 1

Â