Season 22/23 Target League Position

nick76

The poll  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What league position should we be aiming for?

2. 2. What is the lowest acceptable position?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/22 at 23:00

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

just watched an independent you tube video, saying we are "Elite" in terms of crowd.........FWIW.

didn't Kelly cates and Gary Neville, remarked on it once too( against Everton).....saying the atmosphere is amazing.

Its like I say, the potential is there.....The team need to be more resolute, for the crowd to latch on to....and for outsiders to believe in us.

Personally, I get huge statisfaction out of a clean sheet, particularly, when we win.

Upper Doug Ellis near the middle is constant moaning.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Upper Doug Ellis near the middle is constant moaning.

Oh!.....good job they are further from the pitch,then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Its been some time, since I have been comfortable with our defending as a team at home......

Our defending has never been comfortable in the PL era. We always look like we might concede.

The championship was a different matter.

Edit: actually, Southgate Ehigou era was probably last time I felt comfortable with us defending a lead. Mellberg Laursen era wasn't quite as assured.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Our defending has never been comfortable in the PL era. We always look like we might concede.

The championship was a different matter.

Edit: actually, Southgate Ehigou era was probably last time I felt comfortable with us defending a lead. Mellberg Laursen era wasn't quite as assured.

I felt quite comfortable with us defending a lead when there was no crowds. No anxiety from fans helps players a lot when defending.

Really can't see us finishing any higher than 9th. No chance of top 6 at all. West ham and Leicester will push.

City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs - Arsenal and Utd (with West ham and Leicester making up the top 8 ) unless you are Sky and Newcastle will be part of the new Magficent 7.... 

Newcastle and us will be pushing for top half finishes. But can't see us making the top 8. Unless we sign a prolific striker (Watkins is good but his 1st touch is diobolical. He scores goals but needs 4-5 shots, if you are dominating play then great, if you up against it then you need to hit the net 1st time) 

Depends on if we can get our players playing to the max of their abiliries

Comparing their performances last season vs their potential there is a significant chance of a few playing better than they showed last season

Martinez  ,  Digne and Mings in defence are all capable of better performances overall and we have bought in a highly rated cb that on paper at least should really improve us.

Bailey  Ings  Buendia Watkins and Coutinho are all capable of putting in significantly better performances over a season . 

Then we have bought in a really good young holding midfielder that Gerrard is convinced is the player to add some steel to our midfield,  plus Jacob has only just turned 21 And seems capable of making just as big steps this season.

There was so much inconsistency last season it was frightening. Not even from game to game, but from half to half.

If we get consistency then i think top8 minimum and top 6 max.   if we do not then top 10 at best and 14th at worst.7

On 03/07/2022 at 12:53, calcifer said:

Really can't see us finishing any higher than 9th. No chance of top 6 at all. West ham and Leicester will push.

City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs - Arsenal and Utd (with West ham and Leicester making up the top 8 ) unless you are Sky and Newcastle will be part of the new Magficent 7.... 

Newcastle and us will be pushing for top half finishes. But can't see us making the top 8. Unless we sign a prolific striker (Watkins is good but his 1st touch is diobolical. He scores goals but needs 4-5 shots, if you are dominating play then great, if you up against it then you need to hit the net 1st time) 

Agree. We are way off challenging for a European place. We've only briefly flirted with it once since 2009 - and that was with once in a generation player Grealish pulling the strings.

We've got decent players and look to have made a couple of decent additions - not sensing a push for Europe at all.

10th place is what I'm expecting - my bigger hope is that we play some decent entertaining football - we seemed to play within ourselves at times last season.

• 2 weeks later...

We should finish 7th or 8th, 9th at the bare minimum. 

Leicester and West Ham are only our real rivals outside the top 6th and the only other two teams with comparable quality squads. 

I am less optimistic now than a few weeks back. Feel other clubs have caught up to us in terms of signings.  Think we'll be right around 10th. Maybe 1 or 2 spots higher or lower.

Edited by nepal_villan
  • Like 1

It really depends on how players perform. Given our key signings have mostly come in the defensive positions (Carlos - CB, Kamara - DM) you would expect us to concede less next season. We conceded 54 goals last season, I think we'll almost certainly concede less than 50 and our aim should be to concede at least 10 fewer goals than last season. 

We scored 52 goals last season but this was with many of our attackers underperforming (Bailey, Ings, even Watkins and Buendia didn't score as many as we'd hoped) and Coutinho only played half a season. 

I am hoping we can score at least 60 goals next season, if we can do this and concede around 10 goals less you'd think we would be at least in the top half and maybe top 8. I think PL goals as below is a fair expectation (some may even be an underestimate) and we might get a few more out of Archer, Traore, Konsa etc.

Watkins: 15

Ings: 10 (maybe less depending on how much he plays)

Coutinho: 8

Buendia: 6

Bailey: 5

Ramsey: 5 

McGinn: 3

Cash: 3

Kamara: 1

Luiz: 1

Mings: 1

Carlos: 1

Digne: 1

Â