Season 22/23 Target League Position

nick76

The poll  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What league position should we be aiming for?

2. 2. What is the lowest acceptable position?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/22 at 23:00

5 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

I can't see west ham doing as well again. Every time I watch them they look like 2-3 great players with 8 average ones in the form of their life. 

I thought that last season but they still should've finished 6th and that was with europa league run to SF. This season they're in conference league with less quality and less rounds. They also did that with Antonio pretty poor after xmas, I assume they'll get a CF in at some point in next six weeks.

Hope I'm wrong but don't think we'll finish above them until Rice leaves.

Wolves and Leicester are more realistic to finish above, we should've been ahead of both of them last season imo.

I said last season we would end up 13th one place off and looking at the squad i would say 100% right but we have now made signings the problem i have is the same from last season we dont keep the ball and lose it too much. if! we go into the season with this team i think we will end up between 10th and 12th we still havent addressed the way we keep the ball and win it back thats what worries me.

Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Manchester United will be the top 6. 
7th place is up for grabs! West Ham, Newcastle, Wolves, Brighton and Leicester could be our rivals for those positions. 
Top 10 is a must for us! But we need to be challenging for top 9

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Interested to see if we bring in another class CM and/or striker and that could change.

With the above seeming to be a common idea amongst us, I.e. recruiting the above could propel us closer to the top 6, who we going for?

Not gonna happen but Laimer and Lautaro Martinez for me. Would only take about £100m 😳

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, burchy said:

With the above seeming to be a common idea amongst us, I.e. recruiting the above could propel us closer to the top 6, who we going for?

Not gonna happen but Laimer and Lautaro Martinez for me. Would only take about £100m 😳

Fair play.

Not that I necessarily think it will happen, but the board do surprise up sometimes lol.

On 16/07/2022 at 12:43, VillaChris said:

I thought that last season but they still should've finished 6th and that was with europa league run to SF. This season they're in conference league with less quality and less rounds. They also did that with Antonio pretty poor after xmas, I assume they'll get a CF in at some point in next six weeks.

Hope I'm wrong but don't think we'll finish above them until Rice leaves.

Wolves and Leicester are more realistic to finish above, we should've been ahead of both of them last season imo.

We really need to be aiming for 7th and that means finishing above West Ham.   To do that, we still need an upgrade (or two) to our starting line-up. 

But IF things line up for us, i can see us competing against West Ham next season.

But i do get over-excited with our team every summer, then get brought back to reality once the season starts!

Edited by ender4
  • Like 2

My sensible verditct on where we should finish

As it stands I think tenth and a top half finish should be the minimum requirement, we could be capable of finishing higher and that should be the aim, but I think that as thing stand that would be more of a realistic hope rather than an expectation or minimum demand, but if we sign a striker and a midfielder which I believe that we will do then a top eight finish will become more of an expectation.

• Like 1

I’ve been really optimistic about next season until today. For some reason I’m now worried and feel we are going to struggle. Gerrard will feel mad pressure and fans will turn.

I have no idea where these feelings are coming from. 

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve been really optimistic about next season until today. For some reason I’m now worried and feel we are going to struggle. Gerrard will feel mad pressure and fans will turn.

I have no idea where these feelings are coming from. 

Because you’re a Villa fan and out season doesn’t meet optimistic thoughts any season in the past 20 years.

Top 10 is minimum. 7th is possible if we sign another European quality CM. 

Don't think a striker is needed. Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham are examples of teams finishing in Europe without having strikers performing better than ours, and I just don't see who we would get. I can see that being a priority next summer. 

Ings and Watkins are both more than capable of scoring 15+, and I think Archer is going to be a really interesting option in this five subs world. 

Just a quick thought.

Based on everything we are likely to finish around top ten, maybe a few places higher, maybe a few places lower.  That’s the 90% likely to happen scenario.

My question though is which, if you were a betting company, was “realistically” more likely from a pure betting point of view rather than hope…

1) Gerrard achieves a top 7 finish next season

or

2) Gerrard gets sacked at some point next season

Again this is not your personal hope view but a betting view.

Edited by nick76

It all depends on how fast, or indeed whether, we click. We’ve all seen what this team can produce when it’s on form, we’ve been devastating at times, but not consistently enough. It’s a big if, but if the new signings click and provide the platform that sorts our midfield and gives the attackers licence to attack. We have a lot of potential and football is a game of fine lines (and corruption), we could finish 6th or 7th, but we could easily finish 12th. Which would be massively disappointing and would put extreme pressure on the manager’s job. 

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

My question though is which, if you were a betting company, was “realistically” more likely from a pure betting point of view rather than hope…

or

If they are the options I wouldn’t take the bet.  I think neither will happen.

If I was forced to, then I would go with 7th, just because I think Gerrard will be given the whole season barring a complete disaster.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just a quick thought.

Based on everything we are likely to finish around top ten, maybe a few places higher, maybe a few places lower.  That’s the 90% likely to happen scenario.

or

If you were a betting company you set your odds based purely on bets placed. They don’t have an army of football analysts or for that matter  horse racing, cricket, golf, politics or anything else. The science is betting not opinions, no matter how valid through analysis they are. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just a quick thought.

or

Given the probability he will be sacked is very small. We are priced at 58% chance of top half finish and a 17% chance of top 6 finish.

I'd say we'd need to be 14/15th for there to be any chance of Gerrard getting sacked. I'd say we've a 25% chance of Top 7 and maybe 20% chance of ending 14th/15th. 

So more likely to get top 7 than Gerrard to be sacked I'd say. 

• Thanks 1

Â