Season 22/23 Target League Position

nick76

The poll  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What league position should we be aiming for?

2. 2. What is the lowest acceptable position?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/22 at 23:00

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Remi Garde is the last Villa manager to win an FA Cup game 

I knew we were shit in the FA cup, but I didn't realize it was THAT poor. **** christ.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Remi Garde is the last Villa manager to win an FA Cup game 

Really thought our name was on the trophy that season we got battered by Peterborough. At home.

Looking forward to next season's draw, up to avoid 7 years without a win, third round draw, Man United away anyone? 

Edited by Davkaus

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Really thought our name was on the trophy that season we got battered by Peterborough. At home.

Looking forward to next season's draw, up to avoid 7 years without a win, third round draw, Man United away anyone? 

not the worst draw these days to be fair!

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yes not finishing top 6 against these underfunded and well coached clubs will be poor indeed:

Screenshot_20220525-150434_Chrome-min.jpg

To be fair, we have better players than Arsenal now. Being so far behind them is really poor.

Utd are shambles with a poison dressing room. Their "turnaround" will be an interesting one.

A good season, with a squad compromised of £300-400m of sensible spending should see a challenge for top 6. Especially if you're buying 28 and 29 year olds. It's now or never.

Remains to be seen how we actually spend for the rest of the summer...

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

To be fair, we have better players than Arsenal now. Being so far behind them is really poor.

Utd are shambles with a poison dressing room. Their "turnaround" will be an interesting one.

A good season, with a squad compromised of £300-400m of sensible spending should see a challenge for top 6. Especially if you're buying 28 and 29 year olds. It's now or never.

Remains to be seen how we actually spend for the rest of the summer...

Mate, these clubs ( even those above us under top 6 - obviously a couple of exceptions ) have been spending 10's of millions for years before us, as well as whilst we were in the Championship. Even if not in transfer fees, in wages and quality of player they could attract to build a squad.

Look at Leicester for example, struggling this season, ( by their standards of recent years ) with what we probably all agree is a top Manager, and a very good squad.

I see your point but I always do say, football isn't this straightforward as some people would like to make it seem.

The PL is just going to continue to get tougher and tougher, some squads will have to spend just to stand still and/or stay in it. ( I'm obviously not saying for a second that's what I expect or think we should or would be doing )

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate, these clubs ( even those above us under top 6 - obviously a couple of exceptions ) have been spending 10's of millions for years before us, as well as whilst we were in the Championship.

Look at Leicester for example, struggling this season, ( by their standards of recent years ) with what we probably all agree is a top Manager, and a very good squad.

I see your point but I always do say, football isn't this straightforward as some people would like to make it seem.

The PL is just going to continue to get tougher and tougher, some squads will have to spend just to stand still and/or stay in it. ( I'm obviously not saying for a second that's what I expect or think we should or would be doing )

Leicester have struggled yeah. That's bound to happen more if we get into Europe as well.

If we aren't planning on something special, we shouldn't be touching players of these ages.

Coutinho 29, Digne 28, Tarkowski 29. If we aren't making a run at Europa, these are silly signings. I think we are going for Europa next season.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Anyone expecting top 6 this season should probably just get a new hobby and save yourselves the anger.

I expect that I'll start to believe that we could get top 6 when we've made more world class signings, and then I expect to be disappointed when we finish 11th.  The fact that I know this will happen, but that I'm prepared to not believe myself so that I'm surprised and disappointed annoys me.

Edited by Adman
Typo

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Anyone expecting top 6 this season should probably just get a new hobby and save yourselves the anger.

It's simply not happening. We were **** around in the second division for 4 years. We were years behind even before that due to awful mismanagement. After the relegation Al those 6 teams just kept going further ahead than us. How do people think we will have suddenly caught up is beyond me. At best is 7th and that will be a miracle. People get all excited about our spend forgetting that "average" premier league teams do that each season and will have been while we were relegated 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I just want to see progress towards that goal and if we achieve that goal next season then that's a bonus.

1 minute ago, Daweii said:

I just want to see progress towards that goal and if we achieve that goal next season then that's a bonus.

I think it’s a small window we are in, we have to expect top ten given everything.  Anything below that would be a major disappointment but at the other end getting a European place while it will be our aim seems like a long shot.  I think the board though will be pushing for Europe, I think they have higher expectations than the fans for next season.  Will also depend on our transfer dealings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Or next season. Or the season after. 

I expect us to comfortably cruise into the top eight, I don't expect us to finish top six but expect us to be a strong contender to be one of best positioned teams to take advantage should one of the 'traditional top six' have an off season.

Love to be saying top 6 but unfortunately we are way off atm even with if the supposed incoming get here , we will not turn into the European participants overnight …. I’m going with an improved solid 9th 

also maybe squeeze in a cup win ! By that I mean a 3rd round tie 

Edited by Chine

Every season since we were promoted I have said 8th, so I'll continue to say 8th. That said I am hoping to be wrong next season for all the right reasons, anything higher than 8th would be fantastic. 

43 minutes ago, useless said:

I expect us to comfortably cruise into the top eight, I don't expect us to finish top six but expect us to be a strong contender to be one of best positioned teams to take advantage should one of the 'traditional top six' have an off season.

Be prepared to be sad then

Â