vs Man Utd in Perth (July 23rd)

Just now, PieFacE said:

I was hoping this summer we'd sign the players to make this formation work, but Kamara and Carlos ain't gonna make it work.

I was hoping the manager would have new ideas to make this team work, but Gerrard and Critchley ain't gonna make it work.

2-0 - we just don't have enough bodies in front of the back four.

Shape is wrong - we have three behind two up front - the three are taking each others space and there's only one in front of the back four.

I think the manager has to choose between McGinn and Ramsey - he loves both so it's a big test for him - unless he fancies dropping Coutinho.

• Like 1

What I don’t get, and I’m not jumping on the Gerrard out bandwagon just yet, is that we don’t seem to have a particular style from the manager.

All the best teams do. Liverpool and Man City are prime examples and I think that, under ten Hag, United will too.

It’s a concern.

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

I don’t think anyones been particularly good.

Was gonna say the only real positive I’ve seen has been DC. Outside of maybe 1 moment he’s seemed very solid. Coutinhos been lively but they swarm him so quickly and there never seems to be an outlet for him.

Abysmal.

Can we string a few passes together LADS?!

Cheaply losing possession over and over again.

Can’t blame the pitch. Opposition is having no problems at all. 

Sick to death of Ings and Watkins as a pair. Almost don’t see the point of signing players if we’re going to persist with that shite.

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Buendia is not currently the answer.

If we were going for an early change it should be Luiz or Nakamba or Iroegbunam on for Rasmey - we're playing with too many attacking midfielders.

If Buendia isn't then Nakamba certainly isn't either. I think a large issue for us beyond just the formation is that two of the midfielders in McGinn in Ramsey - for all their other strengths - are not comfortable with building the play, keeping things ticking over etc. It makes us awfully easy to defend against, especially in this formation where you don't even have proper width to utilise.

Players like Kamara, Digne etc who can look better are getting completely hung out to dry by it and Nakamba only makes that worse given he's possibly the least comfortable in possession of the whole squad.

• Like 1

Just now, Steero113 said:

This thread is hilarious.

Are you watching this shit? Do you think we've shown any indication of new ideas or improvements since the end of the season?

The result doesn't matter, the lineup and performance is an absolute **** joke.

• Like 4

I thought Gerrard was all about 2 number 10s behind a striker. I get wanting to try Watkins and Ings. I don't get why that still looks like the plan. 

We're so narrow. I wish we'd play proper wingers. 

very poor defending, bournemouth will be trying that ball over the top a lot on the opening day and they have the pace to exploit or back line too, we have to play with another midfielder on opening day, not good enough to have 2 up top against teams like this

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

I don't know. I take the point that the management isn't great right now, but no matter who is in charge our midfield always gets danced through. It's galling and makes no sense but was same under Bruce, Smith, and still the same with Gerrard.

How can you compare Bruce when he had an entirely different team? You're pitching Smith vs. Gerrard who aren't exactly widely regarded as master tacticians. They're motivators and it's not enough at this level.

People will argue it's just pre-season, and that any criticism is an overreaction. 

SG had won me over and I was all in with being optimistic.

We look absolute dogs breakfast and it's depressing to watch.

I cannot believe there is a switch we can flick in 2 weeks and suddenly everything will be ok...

1 minute ago, AndyM3000 said:

Not our best 11 and if the manager thinks it is it then it will be a long season.

Who is missing for you?

You can maybe make a case for Buendia or Luiz, but this is pretty close to our best eleven and I think the manager thinks this is our best side right now.

Â