Pre Match Thread

maqroll

Very surprising to see 3-4-1-2, did Gerrard ever play 3 at the back at Rangers?

Also surprising to see Coutinho on the bench, didn’t believe SG would ever do that. Go Buendia!

Not having tried this formation before could be a negative but the selection looks good.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr_Dogg said:

With the right personnel it's not negative and it's not 5 at the back, see Chelsea and Spurs.

Yeah, fair point. It didn't work under Smith but we've since added better players in certain positions so it will be interesting to see if it works today.

7 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

or he is? Have been on the bench many times now so he have fitness.

SG made him one of the first names on his team sheet when he first came on, and lead him to his outstanding form. He then got injured, there is a difference between being " fitn" and " match fit ". 

Although I'm sure you already know this.

Whatever the reasoning for now is, this is the type of reach of an insinuation I shouldn't even bite on to.

Try harder.

If it pleases you, maybe he feels Chambers is a better player for this game, as he can both defend, and is good ok the ball.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

SG made him one of the first names on his team sheet when he first came on, and lead him to his outstanding form.

Whatever the reasoning for now is, this is the type of reach of an insinuation I shouldn't even bite on to.

Try harder.

If it pleases you, maybe he feels Chambers is a better player for this game, as he can both defend, and is good ok the ball.

Why do you bite then? Ignore-function works great.

• Thanks 1

That midfield 2 I'm guessing is down to Burnley not playing possession football so it doesn't matter that we don't.

Would have thought it would be perfect for Tim but he's on the bench.

No big phil in the starting line up, a rest or a sign we won't be signing him ? He has looked average at best for a while but so have the rest of the team.

Fingers crossed for a win and ideally Everton and Leeds both lose

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

In my opinion, Luiz is our best number six, for me Iroegbunam is better than Nakamba - and all three are better in midfield than Chambers. 

I don't think Luiz is good enough, honestly, and I'd not be surprised to see him moved on in the summer. I'm not sure I've ever seen Chambers in midfield before, but these last few games seem like a great opportunity to try things out and see just what we might be able to get from this squad before making final decisions about where money is best spent in the summer

Regardless of where Chambers is, we're trying something a bit different and I'm cautiously excited.

Three at the back frees up the full backs to really get forward as they've got a bit more cover, it lets Luiz and McGinn sit, but doesn't require them to just sit, it lets Buendia roam and gives us the two up top to carry a threat. I think it could work.

• Like 1

Cornet isn't playing he's on the bench. But still think we will be playing our usual formation with Chambers as DM. Basically it's a way of keeping Chambers in the team, and not leaving out Konsa, for all the criticism Konsa has had recently he's still been one of our best players since returning to to Premier League, so can understand not wanting to leave him out too much, kept a clean sheet the last time he started.

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I hope Chambers isn't playing DM - we've got three better options in that position.

I quite like the look of us as a 3-4-1-2.

How often have you seen Chambers as a DM?

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Where the hell is the creativity coming from? Ings and watkins doesn't work and only emi can create anything. A negative team big defeat coming i think 

Our best football under Gerrard IMO has come with Ings and Watkins. They are starting to work much better. 

• Like 1