Pre Match Thread

maqroll

27 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I hope Chambers isn't playing DM - we've got three better options in that position.

It can't hurt to experiment at this point in the season...Chambers has played there before for Fulham, let's see what he can do. I think it's too early to say that our other options are better when we've never seen him play there for Vila.

1 minute ago, TomC said:

It can't hurt to experiment at this point in the season...Chambers has played there before for Fulham, let's see what he can do. I think it's too early to say that our other options are better when we've never seen him play there for Vila.

I personally think if we want to experiment at DM, we do it with a player that has a future in the position in this squad - at the moment, Iroegbunam is probably the only player that applies to.

That said, I'll be surprised if Chambers isn't playing as one of three CB's.

2 minutes ago, TomC said:

Agree - wasn't Chambers POTS when he played in a defensive midfield role for Fulham. I think it is a bit of a stretch to say 18 year old Tim is already better in that position!

• Like 2

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I personally think if we want to experiment at DM, we do it with a player that has a future in the position in this squad - at the moment, Iroegbunam is probably the only player that applies to.

That said, I'll be surprised if Chambers isn't playing as one of three CB's.

As for Tim...understood, but we experimented with him last week. It wouldn't surprise me if we play a different lineup every match for the rest of the season.

As for 3 in the back with Chambers as a defender...it's certainly possible...one positive is that Burnley's staff is probably sitting there asking "what the hell are they are doing?" like we are...being unpredictable is good...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I hope Chambers isn't playing DM - we've got three better options in that position.

I quite like the look of us as a 3-4-1-2.

Thing is, we are playing Burnley, no matter how cliche, SIZE and strength matter, this is a battle, not a chess match.

I hope Luiz is playing as an 8 because I don't see how he outbattles a Burnley player.

The most.imprtant part of being a DM, is being able to defend, which Chambers can do, as well as play.

So I'm on the fence as to if there actually are 3 better DMs till we see how he copes

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I hope so mate. 

In theory, we're playing with two strikers, a number ten and two wingers - if we can stay solid at the back (whether it's a 2-1-2 or 3-2 of CB's and MF's) then this gives us loads of attacking options.

• Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I hope Luiz is playing as an 8 because I don't see how he outbattles a Burnley player.

My understanding is that while you are in part correct, there will still be a ball. 

We'll need players for that too.

• Like 1

I wonder if Konsa isn’t the experiment in defensive midfield. SG hasn’t been too impressed with his contributions at CB so maybe he’s giving him a go in midfield. 

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

My understanding is that while you are in part correct, there will still be a ball. 

We'll need players for that too.

And Chambers isn't good with the ball?

41 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I quite like the look of us as a 3-4-1-2.

That'd be interesting

• Like 1

Just now, Herman22 said:

I wonder if Konsa isn’t the experiment in defensive midfield. SG hasn’t been too impressed with his contributions at CB so maybe he’s giving him a go in midfield. 

I very much doubt it, as he can’t pass.  

Looks like Chambers to be honest.