Pre Match Thread

maqroll

Both strikers will surely start given they did actually both score for I assume the only time this season in the same game.

Could perhaps go 4-2-2-2 again and see what the hell happens (endless blocks from Tarkowski probably).

We were all fair confident we'd not show up against Norwich and look what happened.  The comments from SG say he's not going to be happy finishing where we are and I'd like to think the players are aware they are all fighting for their career at AVFC so let's see how much they want it. 

Going for a Villa win,  3-1

Tough game but hopefully with their recent results and the positions of Everton and Leeds they may subconsciously think they’re safe and naturally relax a bit 

I’d opt for the following 

Martinez

Cash.Chambers.Mings.Digne

McGinn.Iroegbunam.Luiz

Buendia.Coutinho

Ings

Subs: Olson, Konsa, Young, Nakamba, Chukwuemeka, Sanson, Watkins

we have a poor record at turf moor but think we’ll get something from today. 

4 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I’ve absolutely no confidence in a result here, they’re fighting, we’re on the beach… feels like a loss incoming. :( 

Shock.

Being familiar with Villa history, I suspect that Burnley's bruisers will want it just a bit more than Gerrard's cherubs.

Burnley don't score many goals and have two players with seven each: Cornet tops their list with 7 because he's played fewer games than Rodriguez.

Cornet is a winger and so presumably one of Villa's backs is going to have a busy time, and no doubt will get a strategic kicking to swing the contest.

I don't expect much protection from the referee and I suspect Burnley will be given a lot of licence, out of sympathy.

Prediction: 1-0 either way or a low-scoring draw.

Bookings: 6

1 hour ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Crazy that was 28 years ago!

Come on Villa - at least a point needed today. UTV!

I've got one of those, probably tucked inside the match programme

• Like 3

If the ref doesn't let them get away with their usual shithousery we should have enough to beat these. They will be fighting for their lives though so the coaching staff have a big motivational job to do so that we match their intensity. 

Before the excuses set in. Not one Burnley player would get in the Villa team probably not even the squad. Yes they are fighting for their lives but so are we and if we dont win then is serious issues

A performance like last week and we will lose

• Haha 1

I’d be very content with a draw today, a win would be great but a draw puts the spectre of relegation firmly to bed.

That being said I think we’ll lose, there’s not enough aggression and desire about us at the moment.

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Before the excuses set in. Not one Burnley player would get in the Villa team probably not even the squad. Yes they are fighting for their lives but so are we and if we dont win then is serious issues

No we're not.

4 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Wouldn't be surprised by the draw. I think we will set up to contain them, don't think SG will go for it.

Can see a repeat of Leicester tbh. Just sit back and have sporadic counter attacks and they aren't big goalscorers so feels a 1-1 today.

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Pope (on the bench) and Tarkowski would. I like Charlie Taylor at LB aswell. Would be a good pick up for us if they go down given we need younger backup to Digne next season.

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If we lose today Burnley are within 3 points of us who will still be in the relegation battle

At this stage of the season 3 points is a lot bigger than it sounds. I'm not saying we're completely safe from relegation because we're not but we're 500/1 to go down for a reason. Burnley, Everton and Leeds are fighting for their lives. Us, Brentford and Southampton are not.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

At this stage of the season 3 points is a lot bigger than it sounds. I'm not saying we're completely safe from relegation because we're not but we're 500/1 to go down for a reason. Burnley, Everton and Leeds are fighting for their lives. Us, Brentford and Southampton are not.

Well we should be hence our poor performances