Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Norwich

limpid

Match Polls  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Your player of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/05/22 at 23:00

38 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Not sure how the ref has scored 'average' there. I'm guessing a lot of people weren't at the game because that was one of the worst/most one-sided refereeing performances I've ever seen. Dreadful.

Hmmm, I was at the game and he seemed average to me.  I’ve seen at least 50 worse refereeing performances.

Actually the refs are normally so bad, the bar for average is very very low.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Thanks for posting this. This is the game I watched. Us being in control and being the better side by far even if we didnt get out of first gear. I was delighted with the game and result. Winless streaks are not easy to turn around as we know all too well. I am happy.

Yep, same here. We easily controlled the game and didn’t even need to get out of third gear to get a convincing 2-0 win.

• Like 2

Good result, probably deaerved the win but meh. Bailey injury saved Gerrard as before that we didnt look like breaking them down 

Football again was uninspiring and the fan reaction in the stadium indicates people are bored. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Do what everyone else did, go back in time and slag him off for bringing on Ings instead of Buendia first. Lol

I don't do the match thread, just interested in things in the context of the game itself. 

End of the day, results are king and he needed those three points - you can't argue with a win. That said, on paper, it should always have been a formality to win today. 

I just hope we can build on it and put a decent run together to end the season. 

1 hour ago, Louis said:

The crowd sounded dead on VillaTV radio. Lowest attendance too I think.

Norwich didn’t sell any tickets in the upper tier so there was an empty 1000 seats up there. Doesn’t excuse the poor atmosphere in our end but in turn, the performance wasn’t exactly inspiring. Kept thinking throughout the game how much better the atmosphere is at the likes of Palace, regardless of how they’re playing. Hypocritical to moan about it whilst not necessarily making the noise to improve it myself but the club need to look at a way of improving the atmosphere - could we promote a ‘singing section’? As contrived as that sounds, it could make a difference.

Very underwhelming performance today and for a 2-0 win, not particularly enjoyable in a strange way. Also thought the ref was atrocious, voted very poor for him. Seemed to get every other call wrong in the second half in particular.

Voted Ings MOTM, personally would’ve brought on Buendia but Danny proved me wrong. Gave us a little more impetus. Felt the main problem all game was we lacked the intensity to break Norwich down. It was a bit like a pre season game at times.

Need to find a way of getting Coutinho and Buendia in the same team for me. Phil wasn’t quite at it today but he kept plugging away and didn’t hide. Watkins had a decent game and McGinn was better than of late. 7/10 debut for Tim, couple of misplaced passes aside, he looked pretty untroubled throughout. Cash was quiet.

Great reception for Deano, hope he can bring Norwich back up next season. Next week will be tough and on this showing I’m not sure we’d have enough to get a win at Burnley so improvement needed.  

First of 5 visits to VP in the next 20 days (including the women’s game), great start result wise, hopefully performances can improve.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

All Villa tickets were sold out. But the away section was only 35-40% full. Away fans usually add more noise to stadiums and help the atmosphere.

Officially yes. But were a fair few empty seats dotted about. Felt like the lowest gate of the season by some way. 

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Fine result but absolutely shit game of football. Probably anyone other than Norwich today and we lose. 

We were really very crap

even then Norwich had chances they probably should not have had. Pukki had 2 in the box he didnt pull the trigger on

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Got all 3 points but what a shit game of football, atmosphere was non existent but doesn’t help with what’s being shown on the pitch 

Its Norwich at home. Let's have some perspective. 

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Fine result but absolutely shit game of football. Probably anyone other than Norwich today and we lose. 

We were really very crap

Sometimes that's all you need to stop the funk.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

even then Norwich had chances they probably should not have had. Pukki had 2 in the box he didnt pull the trigger on

Mings shut him up so well today.

• Like 1

As many have said, 21 shots, 2 goals and a clean sheet. I would take this every week.

I really hope we stick with Ings he generates pace when he is on. I do love the old style centre forwards

Phil well I am not desperate for us to buy him at any cost, no doubt at times he shows the class he was at times but for me he does not show it enough to be worth the money and wages spoken about. Definitely not his best game yesterday

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ender4 said:

All Villa tickets were sold out. But the away section was only 35-40% full. Away fans usually add more noise to stadiums and help the atmosphere.

Ahh right I see

8 hours ago, chappy said:

Norwich didn’t sell any tickets in the upper tier so there was an empty 1000 seats up there. Doesn’t excuse the poor atmosphere in our end but in turn, the performance wasn’t exactly inspiring. Kept thinking throughout the game how much better the atmosphere is at the likes of Palace, regardless of how they’re playing. Hypocritical to moan about it whilst not necessarily making the noise to improve it myself but the club need to look at a way of improving the atmosphere - could we promote a ‘singing section’? As contrived as that sounds, it could make a difference.

Very underwhelming performance today and for a 2-0 win, not particularly enjoyable in a strange way. Also thought the ref was atrocious, voted very poor for him. Seemed to get every other call wrong in the second half in particular.

Voted Ings MOTM, personally would’ve brought on Buendia but Danny proved me wrong. Gave us a little more impetus. Felt the main problem all game was we lacked the intensity to break Norwich down. It was a bit like a pre season game at times.

Need to find a way of getting Coutinho and Buendia in the same team for me. Phil wasn’t quite at it today but he kept plugging away and didn’t hide. Watkins had a decent game and McGinn was better than of late. 7/10 debut for Tim, couple of misplaced passes aside, he looked pretty untroubled throughout. Cash was quiet.

Great reception for Deano, hope he can bring Norwich back up next season. Next week will be tough and on this showing I’m not sure we’d have enough to get a win at Burnley so improvement needed.  

First of 5 visits to VP in the next 20 days (including the women’s game), great start result wise, hopefully performances can improve.

If Norwich didn’t sell the upper tier, could’ve we have been allocated the upper section? I think we’ve done it before against Norwich.

I do agree having a singing section maybe in the Holte End somewhere, likewise Crystal Palace and Bristol City (although their Championship) have a singing section. It would be nice to have one as I sometimes think our atmosphere could be a little quiet at times. At least this one is a 1st win in 6 I believe.

What I find bad about VillaTV radio is the away games, they commentate from Villa Park watching on a screen rather than go to the stadium where we’re playing at. It sounds dead and I really don’t enjoy listening to it.

Guest av1
12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If he’s going to survive he needs to figure out how to play our best players at the same time

Ings and Buendia we’re the best players on the pitch today yet they hardly get a look in

We can’t keep carrying players like McGinn and Bailey

Agreed on both points. 

Buendia plays from the right, Coutinho from the left, so I’ve no idea why Gerrard seems so opposed to playing them together. 

McGinn is a problem as well, his style is conducive for possession based football. 

Will always take an ugly win over great football and a loss.

I was frustrated with the amount of passes to no one. This wasn't one player repeatedly doing it, it was evenly shared out of all of them doing aimless passes. 2nd half especially.

Having Tim in the middle made a difference to certain players today like mcginn who looked better. He wasn't involved as much as he could have been but 18 home starting debut and in a team who were soft.

Good management taking him off when he's on a yellow and 3/4 of the game gone.

Bailey ? One amazing shot with a great save apart, he was a mess today. After the knock it is understandable as he was frightened when he had the ball someone would take him out again. That was clear to see and after his injuries he should have come off earlier.

Big phil hit and miss again. Tried 3 or 4 shots none anywhere near the target and resorted to Hollywood balls which didn't come off.

I can see why Gerrard picked the midfield 3 as they are the most hard working as in covering ground it still doesn't work if we don't keep possession and move it quickly or drive with the ball.

I would still be looking for a bissouma and move Tim into the middle 3.

Would have been nice to see traore for 15 or 20 to see if he can fit in and has learned to pass to colleagues, thought he would have been on for Bailey but ings proved the right choice.

Â