Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Norwich

limpid

Match Polls  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Your player of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/05/22 at 23:00

Pound for pound Norwich were better.

Villa failed to assert their technical superiority and fluffed their lines at too many crucial times.

I lost count of the times Villa gave the ball away and made poor decision after poor decision.

Villa's weight of pass was poor in and around the box, and when it wasn't the strikers wanted a touch too many.

Villa were poor and by the number of times Gerrard had a grimace on his face, he certainly knew it.

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

A deflected goal doesn't paper over another terrible half of football

Doesn't paper over the fact that if we could finish we should have scored about 5 either

Screenshot_20220430-190741_Chrome-min.jpg

We did have some decent sequences of football as well.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Two clean sheets. Better defensive displays overall in the last two matches. Attacking play was poor at times and disjointed but I could see the idea of what we are trying to play like just poor finishing. But there are signs we are starting to build a competitive base. We are a work in progress. 3 points behind Newcastle now, stay hopeful guys!  UTV.

Too many chances missed , Coutinho should have had a couple of assists. Buendia is class, Tim after a nervous start grew into the game Defence untroubled Digne didn't get injured. Glad Watkins scored and that skill when he flicked the ball over their defence for Ings was magical but he needs to learn how to pull the ball back for late runners into the box. Even for his goal (I'm happy he scored but it still took a deflection) if he squared it then Coutinho taps in. it's how the top teams get a lot of their goals. he's missed a lot of these type of passes recently. 

Overall a solid performance and we've stopped the rot so to speak. just need a good summer and then we'll hopefully be better next season.

Edited by Sulberto21

On the bus home from VP.

That was absolutely dreadful. We are worse now than under Deano, not a shred of doubt in my mind.

Buendia over Coutinho every time. 

Ramsey man of the match for 90 minutes, but on impact and performance either Buendia or Ings.

I just want the season to end and the players clearly agree.

Team: Lethargic until Ings came on. Better after that.

Marti: Best player we have, got the job done when he needed to (which wasn't often).

Cash: Mostly quiet, can't say he did anything wrong.

Mings: Solid.

Chambers: No big upgrade over Konsa but certainly no worse.

Digne: Solid.

JJ: A few good things.

McGinn: Did some good things when he was involved, but not involved that often. He will never dominate midfield.

Tim: A little green, which is what you'd expect for a first start, but you can see the potential. Going to be a good one.

Dougie: Not on long enough to comment.

Bailey: Flashes of quality. I'm not ready to write him off. Give him a healthy season and see how he does.

Ings: MOM. Crucial to our buildup play; I see him as more of a trequartista than a pure striker at this point. Should almost always be in the side.

Coutinho: Solid. He's not a game-changer every time but I still want him around.

Bueni: Should almost always be in the side. We looked more lively with him in.

Watkins: Solid goal. Shot a few times when he should have passed, but I'm used to that by now.

Count me back in the 4-2-3-1 camp...I'd like to see Ollie up front, with Ings, Bueni, and Coutinho in the 3. The 2 is the problem...we would have to buy for it this summer. But I don't expect SG to go that direction.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

What was our previous managers style of play whose players Gerrard has inherited ? 

Eddie Howe wants a word. I’m happy to wait till next season but my patience is wearing very thin here. You cannot be happy with that second half of football against the worst team in the league. I at least want to see players working hard

• Like 1

You can only beat what’s in front of you, I guess. You’d want better, more convincing football ideally, but I’ll take the win.

Start Buendia, please. 

Edited by El Zen

That was such a frustrating watch. I’ll take the 3 points but it just didn’t seem to click. Some good passages of play where we could and should have scored. But then we seemed to lose composure and had 5-10mins of poor play. 

One thing I’d say, they never gave us any real problems. Emi made one save that made the shot look better than it was. 

Anyway 3 points! Hopefully the same next Saturday. 

Thank god for Ings, an assist and a goal.

Things were a bit better than recently but should be against a shocking Norwich.  

Wasn’t exciting to watch but getting the 3 points was vital.

Papered over the cracks because it wasn’t great but Norwich are so poor it was enough.

Great for Tim!

Thank god that’s over I was worried we’d lose.  Still the same issues as before the game, I had hoped for a commanding performance but it was enough to win.

3 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I wouldn't give a stinky shit how "crap" we were if we won 2-0 every week.

I’ve watched us play a lot, lot worse games recently and some of Coutinho’s passing today was sublime. 

If we could finish better that would’ve been 4 or 5 nil. We’ve got the potential to get much better, but I don’t think that will involve balsa wood Bailey. Not knocking his ability he’s just ridiculously fragile.

• Like 2

Â