Pre-match thread

wedge

We should be looking to be at least 3-0 up with thirty minutes remaining then bring on Chrisene, Chukwuemeka, and O'Reilly, with Iroegbunam having already started the game, or at least that's what I'm hoping. Anything less than a win will be doubly disappointing.

Edited by useless

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

-------------------------Martinez----------------------

Cash---------Konsa--------Mings-----Young

----------------------Iroegbunam-------------------

---------------Ramsey--------Luiz------------------

------Buendia---------------------Coutinho------

------------------------Watkins-----------------------

Subs; Olsen, Chambers, Chrisene, McGinn, Sanson, Chukwuemeka, Bailey, Ings, Traore

I think Gerrard will find room for McGinn, even though it's hard to make a case for him not being the one of the three that gets dropped to make room for Tim and I think it'll probably be Luiz moving to the bench. I'd start Buendia because he's good and because it's against his old club so he'll be motivated.

I can't find room for Nakamba on the bench.

Why start Luiz when pretty much everyone accepts he'll be off now. I think him being subbed for Tim yesterday was pretty telling.

Think I'd put Ings back in for Watkins as I'd expect us to create 2-3 clear chances in this with their backline.

We really should go 4-2-3-1 for this as that's the only logical way we can get Buendia and Coutinho given manager dosen't believe they can function in his own system.

We'll probably rouse ourselves to win 3-1 before reverting back to type at Burnley.

Also think this is a good game to give Chisene a start. If we're hyping up our young players yet don't deem them good enough to start at home to 20th it feels a bit too negative to me. Perhaps Digne will be fit though.

Edited by VillaChris

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Why start Luiz when pretty much everyone accepts he'll be off now. I think him being subbed for Tim yesterday was pretty telling.

For me just because he's been better than McGinn.

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think I'd put Ings back in for Watkins as I'd expect us to create 2-3 clear chances in this with their backline.

By the sound of things Gerrard was very happy with Watkins at Leicester, I'd be surprised to see him dropped.

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We really should go 4-2-3-1 for this as that's the only logical way we can get Buendia and Coutinho given manager dosen't believe they can function in his own system.

I agree, I think 4-2-3-1 would really suit us - but the manager doesn't seem to agree - it'd really benefit Ramsey who could play in the middle of the three with Buendia and Coutinho either side of him and we could have Luiz and Iroegbunam holding.

Leicester was a little bit more 4-3-3 than his usual 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-1-2 so it'll be interesting to see if he reverts to one of those formations if he feels he can afford to get more men forward.

• Like 1

In that formation Luiz is at 8 though so given manager raves about McGinn I think he'd leave Luiz on the bench. And for all his faults McGinn is far more likely to be here next season of course.

Personally I'd like to see Buendia as an 8 in the run in. Given some of the teams we're playing, get him a little deeper and see if he can start some attacking moves off and get the ball quicker to Coutinho.

26 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

In that formation Luiz is at 8 though so given manager raves about McGinn I think he'd leave Luiz on the bench. And for all his faults McGinn is far more likely to be here next season of course.

Personally I'd like to see Buendia as an 8 in the run in. Given some of the teams we're playing, get him a little deeper and see if he can start some attacking moves off and get the ball quicker to Coutinho.

@VillaChris I'm not sure I get you - you'd play McGinn as one of the 6's?

I see the 4-2-3-1 as having two 6's a 10 and a couple of wide men - I think Ramsey would be great in that sort of 10 position where he can use his energy and drop to an eight and I think Luiz's passing and Iroegbunam's ability would be great as the 6's.

I don't want to say its a 'must win' game but we should be winning this. It'll pretty much confirm we are safe and take any pressure off going into the remaining games. 

• Like 1

Don’t care about the score, a win is a win. Norwich have got some fight in them yet and Deano will have a score to settle so they will be even more fired up. I think it will be an uncomfortable win. That’s fine, just don’t lose.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Don’t care about the score, a win is a win. Norwich have got some fight in them yet and Deano will have a score to settle so they will be even more fired up. I think it will be an uncomfortable win. That’s fine, just don’t lose.

Yes,they will be fighting for their PL lives,but are the team/players any good ?A teams position in the league table shows their real ability compared to the other teame in the PL.

22 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Yes,they will be fighting for their PL lives,but are the team/players any good ?A teams position in the league table shows their real ability compared to the other teame in the PL.

There’d never be an upset or surprise result if other factors didn’t come into play. It’s our job to make sure our quality shows but I don’t think it will be as easy as the away fixture.

On 24/04/2022 at 16:18, OutByEaster? said:

Leicester was a little bit more 4-3-3 than his usual 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-1-2 so it'll be interesting to see if he reverts to one of those formations if he feels he can afford to get more men forward.

Wasn’t the Leicester formation more 4-3-3 because of Bailey starting? He’s probably the least suited to playing centrally as a 10.