Pre-match thread

wedge

Martinez

Cash          Chambers           Mings           Young

Nakamba

Luiz                   Ramsey

Buendia                          Coutinho

Watkins

If safety was 100% secured id prob give tim a start.

Ramsey and Mcginn both been poor lately but probably should start ramsey after the new contract.

Really want to see luiz a bit further forward. I remember the man city game early in Gerrard's reign where he looked really good a bit further up.                     

• Like 3

Forget defense, all out attack.

------------------------Martinez-----------------------------
Cash-----Chambers-------Mings----------Young
-----------------------Nakamba----------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Buendia----Ings--Watkins--Bailey--Coutinho

• Like 1

I think we will see the following;                        

Martinez

Cash          Konsa       Mings         Young

McGinn      Luiz       Ramsey

Buendia           Watkins            Coutinho

Not the side I would pick, but you just know that he (Gerrard) doesn't make wholesale changes regardless of recent performances. The only possible change I can see is Ings for Buendia.

We beat them pretty convincingly at Carrow Rd, though could have done with the second goal coming a little earlier in the match - I think Saturday will be a good solid win too.  I think 4-1 Villa with a Philippe masterclass incoming*

Hopefully if this is the starting line up, we still get to see the likes of Tim and Chuk in the latter stages, when we are nicely in control 😀

For the record I am going to be really f..... off if we don't win and perform!

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

I think,as Norwich are bottom of the league SG might try some kids ( one or two )

I think he wants to ensure the win and effectively dismiss any relegation fears so will go strong. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Really surprised at the line ups with Watkins in them.

May I ask why? He scored 14 Premier League goals last season and 8 Premier League goals this season and his intense work rate alleviates pressure on the rest of the team. For me, he starts but you obviously think differently 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

May I ask why? He scored 14 Premier League goals last season and 8 Premier League goals this season and his intense work rate alleviates pressure on the rest of the team. For me, he starts but you obviously think differently 

Because his game has been awful for a long time.

9 goal contributions as the No.1 striker is woeful.

Ings has 10 with a lot less minutes by far. I also think he's link up play is better, his touch is better, his strikers instincts are better

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Ings has 10 with a lot less minutes by far. I also think he's link up play is better, his touch is better, his strikers instincts are better

Watkins is quite a lot younger than Ings and Watkins works a lot harder than Ings. As a fan, I like both, they are very different, I think you are right, Ings has a bit more class on the ball than Watkins and more footballing nous

It is hard to compare them both, I just googled Ings, I was surprised to find out that has only scored 5 goals in 24 matches in the Premier League. He played 1 cup match without scoring, when I watch him, he doesn’t bust a gut for the team like Watkins does

Both of them have their own individual positives and negatives. Personally, I’d like both to still be at the club next season with Keinan Davis and Cameron Archer to come back and add competition to the forward line. 

Edit- this is probably the longest post I’ve ever written on villa talk 

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

47 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Yet Gerrard said he was unplayable against Leicester second half so hes going to play whether you like it or not. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yet Gerrard said he was unplayable against Leicester second half so hes going to play whether you like it or not. 

Yeah completely unplayable. Not seen a performance like that since Ronaldinho was applauded off by the Madrid fans at the Bernabeu.

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He also said would be wholesale changes after Newcastle. He is a bluffer

• Like 2

On 27/04/2022 at 22:39, HeyAnty said:

Finally getting to Villa park for first time on Saturday.  Only ever got to away matches in London as flights were easier from north of Ireland for me and i had free accommodation in London.

My 9 year old has been promised i would take him for past 2 years but because of covid and all it hasn’t happened to now.  

We are getting train up from London on sat morning, in around 12 at new street.  What’s easiest way to get out to Villa park and is it difficult to get back to new street after the game?  Would it be safe to walk?

You can imagine his excitement, he has his heart set on seeing the team arriving at the ground.  I heard that they come 90mins before game, anyone any idea on this?

Also i want to make his first time there as memorable as possible.  Anyone any good ideas for a 9 year old around Villa park on match day(hes to young to booze unfortunately 😀)

Definitely safe walking back to town but might be a bit far for a 9 year old (will take about an hour).

My advice would be head for Aston station after the game and get the bus from Lichfield Road opposite the station (65 or 67) back to town - you'll know you're in the right place because you'll see the huge queues for Aston train station on the other side of the road.

If you walk one bus stop further back along the road away from town (literally a 30 second walk) you will beat the queue of people waiting for the bus. Might be useful to download the Network West Midlands app beforehand to get an idea of where you're heading - signal is crap around the stadium. Hope you both have a great day 👍

• Like 1

The return of Deano and I think it’ll be quite emotional, especially at the start when he comes out and gives everyone a wave. However, we need to be as professional as we can and win the game, simple as. Norwich are bottom for a reason, they’re a poor side.

Now I know what team I’d like to see but I also know what team Gerrard is likely to start the game with. Either way, we should have enough quality to get the three points. If everything clicks, we could see another Southampton performance and win by three or four goals.

Gerrard team:

Martinez

Cash          Konsa       Mings         Young

McGinn      Luiz       Ramsey

Bailey              Watkins            Coutinho

My team:           

Martinez

Cash        Chambers          Mings          Young

Iroegbunam

Luiz                         Ramsey

Buendia                Watkins                   Coutinho

Whatever team Gerrard starts with, I’d like to see Iroegbunam, Chrisene and possibly O’Reilly get some minutes on the pitch. Sell out crowd roaring them on, what’s not to like.  Going to say an entertaining 4-1 win. UTV