Pre-match thread

wedge

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Wasn’t the Leicester formation more 4-3-3 because of Bailey starting? He’s probably the least suited to playing centrally as a 10.

I think it was as much about trying to make us a bit more solid and stop the rot - it limits the fullbacks more which might have helped Ashley Young's legs and lungs even if it took a little of the swash out of Cash's buckle and it keeps the midfield three compact because they don't have to cover wide, and as you say it allows us to play Bailey. The real beneficiary of 4-3-3 though is Watkins - he's much more comfortable with men wide of him than tricky stuff into his feet, often facing away from goal.

What it doesn't appear to do is suit Coutinho.

The line up on Saturday will definitely be interesting.

I dont know if the fact they can only survive mathematically will make them more dangerous or less dangerous . 

Draw or lose and its huge pressure on us. Win and we are all good and can play all the kids while our strikeforce practices 1000 shots a day at Bodymoor as penance for their poor output this year. 

That said a 4 1 win with 2 from Jacob and 2 from Watkins . Nice one 

Almost certainly won't happen under Gerrard but I'd like to see Bailey, Buendia and Coutinho all start:

.............................Martinez................................

Cash..........Chambers..........Mings..........Digne (Young if not fit)

........................Luiz......Nakamba.......................

Buendia..................Coutinho...................Bailey

..............................Watkins................................

Won't happen because Gerrard never plays this formation, won't drop McGinn (who's been poor for months) or Ramsey (needs a rest), and Nakamba probably not ready to start yet (although could try Tim Iroegbunam there). I loved Konsa last season but he looked a liability against Leicester, whilst Chambers isn't great we have conceded fewer goals when he's started (4 conceded in 5 games). Really hope Digne returns sooner rather than later. 

Bailey and Buendia haven't scored nearly enough goals this season and would be nice if they could score in this one. Either way we must win the game.

We rarely do well against Dean Smith sides. Wouldn't it be high-larious if we went balls out with an attacking line-up in an attempt to 'fill our boots' and ended up getting soundly beaten. Stranger things have happened. I'm now at the point where I'm not particularly confident against anyone, and yes that includes Norwich City.

• Like 4

I'm not really looking forward to this game. It's not going to be nice, or though somewhat ironic, if we end up being the team to confirm relegation for Norwich. I just whish Deano was coming back and it was a more cheerful affair, for both teams.

• Like 1

Only seen us win twice at home this season, taking my daughter who cannot remember the last time she saw us win at home....I think it was in the championship....

Hopefully we will win, but Dean and Norwich will be a tough game for us

7 hours ago, BOF said:

I'm now at the point where I'm not particularly confident against anyone, and yes that includes Norwich City.

i'm pretty confident for this one, in our last two games we've been the better side against Spurs and the better side against Leicester - a little bit of luck in from of goal and we'll batter these.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

i thought he was out for the season, is that not the case?

Gerrard's most recent quote gives Digne an outside chance of making the final game of the season IIRC.

• Like 1

Mad that I go into this game that should be 95% a home banker yet I’m confident but very worried.  It’s like an internal war in my head that says we could get done 1-0 compared to the other part that says it’ll be a comfortable win. 

Finally getting to Villa park for first time on Saturday.  Only ever got to away matches in London as flights were easier from north of Ireland for me and i had free accommodation in London.

My 9 year old has been promised i would take him for past 2 years but because of covid and all it hasn’t happened to now.  

We are getting train up from London on sat morning, in around 12 at new street.  What’s easiest way to get out to Villa park and is it difficult to get back to new street after the game?  Would it be safe to walk?

You can imagine his excitement, he has his heart set on seeing the team arriving at the ground.  I heard that they come 90mins before game, anyone any idea on this?

Also i want to make his first time there as memorable as possible.  Anyone any good ideas for a 9 year old around Villa park on match day(hes to young to booze unfortunately 😀)

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Also i want to make his first time there as memorable as possible.  Anyone any good ideas for a 9 year old around Villa park on match day(hes to young to booze unfortunately 😀)

Behind the North Stand there's a fan zone where he can have a supervised kickabout/skills session, muck around on a bunch of inflatable stuff, get his face painted and quite probably throw inflatable axes. It has been known for men of more advanced years to have a go on the football dart board where velcro balls stick to the velcro dart board (top score 76).

That opens about two hours before kick off and is next to the shop - there's also a bar in there if it's all a bit much.

I think the away team arrive about 90 minutes before kick off but we're a little earlier.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

We are getting train up from London on sat morning, in around 12 at new street.  What’s easiest way to get out to Villa park and is it difficult to get back to new street after the game?  Would it be safe to walk?

12:27 platform 2A catch the Walsall train, get off 3 stops later at Witton.

You can get the train back too but the queues will probably be really long at Witton after the game so be prepared for that, and for it to be busy on the train. Have never walked back myself but think some people do.

• Like 1