Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

Bookies have us favourites at Leicester.

We've have two weeks off, they have their two biggest games of the season either side of our match. They'll be around 5 or 6 players away from their first choice XI.

I expect us to play well even if we don't win. If we don't, there really is a something wrong IMO.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We've have two weeks off, they have their two biggest games of the season either side of our match. They'll be around 5 or 6 players away from their first choice XI.

I expect us to play well even if we don't win. If we don't, there really is a something wrong IMO.

Rightly or wrongly I haven’t faith in Gerrard. I appreciate we should show some patience but in my view there are some fairly significant alarm bells. If we don’t show up against Leicester something is very wrong I agree. 

• Like 3

Presuming Digne is definitely out (isn't he rumoured to be out for the rest of the season?!) I'd put Mings at LB. I think Young as cost us a couple of times already this season and "on paper" we're stronger with a line up as below.  Not sure Hause will be match fit either.

I know 100% this won't happen though. I doubt the gaffer has even considered it nor would Mings want to be shifted from central defence but hey ho.   

I'd also drop Luiz and McGinn and Watkins, players out of form and they need to know that they need to earn their shirt. I don't care if it doesn't pay off if we try something different.  

Emi

Cash          Konsa           Chambers          Mings

Sanson        Nakamba           Ramsey 

Buendia                 Ings                   Coutinho       

Bench: Olsen,  Young, Hause, Luiz,  McGinn, Chuk, Bailey, Traore, Watkins                                        

Need to A ) Not concede a silly goal and  B )  Score first.                      

We’ve got to try something different with the team and play either 3-4-2-1 or 4-3-3 with Chambers and especially Nakamba in, because the current formation is killing us when our full backs push on.

Konsa shouldn’t be starting after recent performances but Hause cannot be fit to start, otherwise I would put him in. Fingers crossed on Digne, otherwise Young starts. 3-4-2-1

Martinez

Konsa     Chambers     Mings

Cash           Nakamba        Luiz              Digne

Ramsey          Coutinho

Watkins

Ramsey or Buendia, or just Coutinho as a 10 and go with Watkins and Ings as a two up top?

Alternatively, we could try a more solid 4-3-3

Martinez

Cash     Chambers         Mings        Digne 

Ramsey        Nakamba        Luiz    

?                       ?                  ?           

The relegation talk looked a bit premature a few weeks ago but the table at the moment looks ominous.

The questions going into this one is whether Gerrard has the nous and have the players got the bottle.

Villa definitely need a change of luck.

A win would relieve the pressure and a draw would be encouraging but I am not sure Leicester is a favourable venue for achieving either.

24 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

We’ve got to try something different with the team and play either 3-4-2-1 or 4-3-3 with Chambers and especially Nakamba in, because the current formation is killing us when our full backs push on.

Konsa shouldn’t be starting after recent performances but Hause cannot be fit to start, otherwise I would put him in. Fingers crossed on Digne, otherwise Young starts. 3-4-2-1

Martinez

Cash           Nakamba        Luiz              Digne

Ramsey          Coutinho

Watkins

Ramsey or Buendia, or just Coutinho as a 10 and go with Watkins and Ings as a two up top?

Martinez

I agree (to an extent). I think your top team is decent on paper but I really doubt Digne is going to be fit and then it's a case of Young coming in which would worry me a lot.  A great career,  will give his all but a squad player at best now.

You're right about Konsa, he had a horror show against Spurs, but hopefully he can turn his form around 🤞

Also, I think Buendia should definitely start. And if it's either him OR Coutinho I'd still pick Emi as he offers more without the ball and we can't afford any passengers tomorrow against a team that usually dominate possession.

Traore, Sanson and Hause not available. This is a game we should be looking to win.

If we don’t, I still think we’ll get at least another six points this season. However, a loss will pile on the pressure that we really don’t need. 

Edited by Hanky

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't think long breaks, always, equate to the advantage many think.

sure its an opportunity to recover knocks, and such.....but you lose match sharpness, too....that little (all important) edge comes off.

Its one of them, it can fall either way in terms of advantage.

In my experience, long breaks, don't do us much good...we see to struggle to find momentum, maybe Saturdays game will be an exception.

• Like 4

On 15/04/2022 at 14:46, romavillan said:

I'm increasingly worried at how things are going, and I'm not really sure why I should be seeing as we're in a very strong position compared ot not very long ago. I don't like the rumours of Gerrard's behaviour towards the squad, saying stuff like he's going to go out and buy a new captain really doesn't help there for example. If Gerrard has managed to alienate a lot of players and is saying they'll be gone in the summer, and we can't put out a team that is united and cohesive and on board with Gerrard's ideas and way of playing, then we're going to get stuffed by this lot.

where did he say that?...or as you say a rumour.

Edited by TRO

It's so quiet on here because it's been an absolutely awful season and people are probably choosing to bury their head in the sand. 

I will watch tomorrow and I really hope we put in a good performance. A win tomorrow and I think we could end the season quite well and possibly sneak top 10, but I'd take even a point at this stage if it means we can have a weekend without Villa losing for a change. 

• Like 1

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Young

Nakamba

McGinn Ramsey

Coutinho

Ings Watkins

...is a possibility tomorrow, which would also happen be the most successful starting line up under Gerrard when picking the players in realistic positions with the highest ppg from starts under Gerrard.

Bench looking quite young: Olsen, Chambers, Chrisene, Luiz, Iroegbunam, Chukwuemeka, Bailey, Buendia, O'Reilly

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

where did he say that?...or as you say a rumour.

The Villa Talks podcast mentioned he'd said it, I'll have a google in a bit and see if I can confirm it. It's in the state of the villa nation episode.

On 18/04/2022 at 09:15, ferguson1 said:

Feels like we’ve been saying this for a few weeks now but we need to stop this horrible run of defeats and quickly. Whether it’s a scrappy draw or score early and see the game out for a win.

We’ve got to try something different with the team and play either 3-4-2-1 or 4-3-3 with Chambers and especially Nakamba in, because the current formation is killing us when our full backs push on.

Martinez

Cash           Nakamba        Luiz                Digne

Ramsey          Coutinho

Watkins

Martinez

I suppose any combination of Ramsey, Luiz, McGinn or Sanson, alongside Nakamba in the middle. Then a front three of whoever from Buendia, Bailey, Coutinho, Traore, Watkins and Ings.

We’ll probably won’t see any combination of the above come match day but I honestly think we need to try something different if we’re to turn this run of defeats around. UTV

a few players who can defend would be novel.....so Chambers and Nakamba in for me, providing they are fit.

Konsa would sit this one out on the basis of his turgid display against Spurs....but of course, we don't know what reaction he has given in training....but he needs to swap passive for aggressive.

Edited by TRO