Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

The Villa Talks podcast mentioned he'd said it, I'll have a google in a bit and see if I can confirm it. It's in the state of the villa nation episode.

Not something, I agree with him coming out public on, if he did.

but somewhere along the line there is going to be some unsavoury exchanges, I think.

so many defeats do tend to make things toxic, in my experience.

On 19/04/2022 at 10:35, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

I’m surprisingly feeling a little confident about this. I’m not even sure why. Just have a good feeling about this one. 

Time is a great healer.... 2 weeks without a game.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

On 20/04/2022 at 10:39, the_eristic said:

I, for one, think we should play the good players in the good formation with the good tactics. I sure hope we don't see the bad players in the bad formation with the bad tactics. That would be unfortunate.

Theology is the subject for you.😀

15 minutes ago, romavillan said:

The Villa Talks podcast mentioned he'd said it, I'll have a google in a bit and see if I can confirm it. It's in the state of the villa nation episode.

I'm not asking you to prove it, because i know thats not always possible as we all get our information from primarily, the same sources.

not one of his better quotes, if its true.

I really hope SG starts Christene over Young. I’ve nothing against Young but we are at the tail end of a season and we aren’t really playing for anything. We’d surely be better off seeing what the kid can do. I’d also be annoyed if Konsa started after his Spurs “display”. 

I’d like to see a starting 11 of 

Martinez

Cash Chambers Mings Christene

Luiz

McGinn JJ

Couthino

Ings Watkins 

4 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I really hope SG starts Christene over Young. I’ve nothing against Young but we are at the tail end of a season and we aren’t really playing for anything. We’d surely be better off seeing what the kid can do. I’d also be annoyed if Konsa started after his Spurs “display”. 

I’d like to see a starting 11 of 

Martinez

Cash Chambers Mings Christene

Luiz

McGinn JJ

Couthino

Ings Watkins 

Luiz and McGinn, has been tried and tried and tried again......you know what Albert said about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, don't you?

There is a danger, he could be right.....However, I accept we have little option.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm not asking you to prove it, because i know thats not always possible as we all get our information from primarily, the same sources.

not one of his better quotes, if its true.

Couple of sources:

https://todayuknews.com/us-news/tyrone-mings-captaincy-up-for-grabs-as-gerrard-plots-new-signings/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10700943/Steven-Gerrard-eyes-new-Aston-Villa-skipper-decision-set-end-season.html

no direct quote in there, but if you're Tyrone Mings that's probably not what you want to be hearing. He's blamed the players a few times after a loss too, it's certainly a change in culture. Smith did everything he could to make the players feel good. Gerrard seems a bit less lovey dovey to say the least! Especially publicly. I don't see it being especially useful when what we need is everyone in this group pulling together to get the results. 

21 hours ago, romavillan said:

Couple of sources:

https://todayuknews.com/us-news/tyrone-mings-captaincy-up-for-grabs-as-gerrard-plots-new-signings/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10700943/Steven-Gerrard-eyes-new-Aston-Villa-skipper-decision-set-end-season.html

no direct quote in there, but if you're Tyrone Mings that's probably not what you want to be hearing. He's blamed the players a few times after a loss too, it's certainly a change in culture. Smith did everything he could to make the players feel good. Gerrard seems a bit less lovey dovey to say the least! Especially publicly. I don't see it being especially useful when what we need is everyone in this group pulling together to get the results. 

I think it also depends on what you want to hear, and that includes me.

I have heard SG several times say, "Its on me"

but there comes a time, when you keep saying that as a manager and the fans can clearly see individual errors that lead to goals, and all you do is insult the intelligence of the crowd.

I accept you have to keep stuff in house, but equally stuff the fans see, needs some honesty too.....IIRC Ron S never said much after a game, because they wasn't obliged contractually to do so, so he escaped that media exposure...and he wouldn't want to do it either, but I can tell you first hand, he was a hard faced man, who was hard on the players....and if you wasn't in the first team, you didn't exist....and he didn't too bad did he, on a shoe string too, while the big boys paid the big fees of the day.

We have to remember too, after matches frustration can creep out, and that's where experience can help.....but the best can slip up.

I have heard Smith say words to the extent of "I don't know what they were doing there, that wasn't down to instructions" when some fans clearly think everything that happens in match is down to the manager, telling them to do it.

I don't want a manager to be lovey dovey, that would be a huge turn off for me......but its easier to appear to be like that, if you are winning games.

John McGinn has just revealed what a compassionate side SG has that many don't see, but you have to remember too, SG has bosses, who evaluate him, its a cruel business where only winning will do, they have to be hard nosed to survive.

I would imagine as a top football manager, everyone is trying to trip you up in interviews and analysis, eveyone knows better than you, everyone you meet has a better team sheet than you......No wonder, they build an exterior as a moat to protect their sanity.

I would imagine if someone says "hello" or "good morning" and moves away in a selfless manner, they probably look back with scepticism.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think it also depends on what you want to hear, and that includes me.

I have heard SG several times say, "Its on me"

but there comes a time, when you keep saying that as a manager and the fans can clearly see individual errors that lead to goals, and all you do is insult the intelligence of the crowd.

I accept you have to keep stuff in house, but equally stuff the fans see, needs some honesty too.....IIRC Ron S never said much after a game, because they wasn't obliged contractually to do so, so he escaped that media exposure...and he wouldn't want to do it either, but I can tell you first hand, he was a hard faced man, who was hard on the players....and if you wasn't in the first team, you didn't exist....and he didn't too bad did he, on a shoe string too, while the big boys paid the big fees of the day.

We have to remember too, after matches frustration can creep out, and that's where experience can help.....but the best can slip up.

I have heard Smith say words to the extent of "I don't know what they were doing there, that wasn't down to instructions" when some fans clearly think everything that happens in match is down to the manager, telling them to do it.

I don't want a manager to be lovey dovey, that would be a huge turn off for me......but its easier to appear to be like that, if you are winning games.

John McGinn has just revealed what a compassionate side SG has that many don't see, but you have to remember too, SG has bosses, who evaluate him, its a cruel business where only winning will do, they have to be hard nosed to survive.

I would imagine as a top football manager, everyone is trying to trip you up in interviews and analysis, eveyone knows better than you, everyone you meet has a better team sheet than you......No wonder, they build an experior as a moat to protect their sanity.

I would imagine if someone says "hello" or "good morning" and moves away in a selfless manner, they probably look back with scepticism.

Yep SG has repeatedly said the "right" thing for me to protect the group etc. after games, but that's what makes the couple of times he hasn't a bit more jarring and I'm not sure saying you might replace him as captain might not be the best motivation for Mings and the group.

If you watch the Overlap interview with Gerrard, I think you can understand why McGinn would say he has a compassionate side. He's certainly a modern manager who will try to understand and support his players to get the best out of them. As with so many things in top level sport it's fine lines and finding the right balance. SG has time to do it but for me, if he wants to have a good summer then we need a few results sharpish. We need to get that forward momentum back around the place. It's been lacking all season really.

• Like 1

I think we’ll see a few changes in personnel but not necessarily formation 

Martinez

Cash.Chambers.Mings.Young

McGinn.Nakamba.Ramsey

Buendia.Coutinho 

Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Konsa, Chrisene, Luiz, Chukwuemeka, Ings, Bailey. 

Our bench will be seriously depleted without Digne, Hause, Traore and Sanson all unavailable 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, romavillan said:

Yep SG has repeatedly said the "right" thing for me to protect the group etc. after games, but that's what makes the couple of times he hasn't a bit more jarring and I'm not sure saying you might replace him as captain might not be the best motivation for Mings and the group.

If you watch the Overlap interview with Gerrard, I think you can understand why McGinn would say he has a compassionate side. He's certainly a modern manager who will try to understand and support his players to get the best out of them. As with so many things in top level sport it's fine lines and finding the right balance. SG has time to do it but for me, if he wants to have a good summer then we need a few results sharpish. We need to get that forward momentum back around the place. It's been lacking all season really.

I think we are missing something here....you can't treat all souls the same, some folk have different buttons to press, to max out the motivation and their positive responses.

for example, you come all glossy eyed with Vinnie Jones, he will eat you....equally Joey Barton, would need a firm hand to control him...its knowing the person and what triggers their control buttons...I am not saying you have to be aggressive with everyone, but you have to be firm and decisive, with some.

I ran urban Pubs for years....some require a firm approach, some like an arm around the shoulder, its horses for courses.....SG is still working that out with the group, who needs what.

sometimes a kick up the preverbial works with some and its more appropriate with that individual...but you have to know that, if you get it arse about face, it can have an adverse effect.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

a few players who can defend would be novel.....so Chambers and Nakamba in for me, providing they are fit.

Konsa would sit this one out on the basis of his turgid display against Spurs....but of course, we don't know what reaction he has given in training....but he needs to swap passive for aggressive.

so you’re completely agreeing with me then?

• Like 1

-------------------------Martinez-------------------------

Cash---------Konsa---------Mings------Young

------------------------Iroegbanum-------------------

------------Ramsey-------------------Luiz------------

---------------Buendia-------Coutinho-------------

--------------------------Watkins------------------------

Subs: Olsen, Chambers, Chrisene, McGinn, Sanson, Nakamba, Chukwuemeka, Ings, Bailey

Still surprised so many want to see Buendia and Coutinho together. The last three games they started were Arsenal, Watford and Newcastle. My memories from those is congestion around the box, players trying to thread a needle.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue