• Black Sabbath
    • Oasis
    • Lynard Skynard
    • The Allman Brothers
    • Coldplay
    • Nirvana
    • The Beatles
    • Queen

Have you ever listened to Nirvana, Pelle?

Cobain did some fantastic stuff (IMO, obviously)

They never didi it for me, but that's just an opinion. What I'm basing my almost vote on is that they seemed wildly popular but the only real hits I've heard of is "Smells like teen spirit" and "Come as you are". The latter is a real favourite of mine, though. Unlike for example Queen as I've seen mentioned not too surprisngly, who's had more hits that I think people in general would recognise more than most other bands ever. See my point in what I think an overrated band is? I know, it's not a perfect theory or ground for rating who's over- or underrated. And it's not only about hits either, but still.

U2 though, is more of an opinion for me, unfortunately.

And have to say that I forgot Lynyrd Skynyrd. They are more overrated than Oasis and Nirvana, actually.

and im sorry zippy, but the libertines are in no way overated! people just dont understand what they did for modern UK music

I understand what they did- ushered in a whole wave of terrible generic indie bands. No libertines, no scouting for girls. They have a lot to answer for, including plenty of dire 'poetry'. Doherty can stick 'Albion' up his arse :rant:

Other honourable mentions to:

Iron Maiden

RHCP

Guns & Roses

Queen

Green Day

Fall Out Boy

plus plenty of others who I can't recall at the moment.

When ever anything like this comes up, it is amazing that the same 'massive' bands seem to crop up. So who the hell buys their records ? (it s like trying to find someone who will admit to voting for Margaret Thatcher !)

U2 seem to have the same guitar sound - if not riff- on all their records; Oasis are a fairly good pub band and that is all. (all this is opinion I realise).

I would hazard an educated guess that if you asked other musicians - perhaps of a certain age - they would not rate this pair very highly. 'The Edge' is hardly Larry Carlton is he?

i dont understand what is so bad about U2, Coldplay and Oasis?

Have a listen to them. :wink:

I have mate, i own a few of their albums too

Taste in music has always been each to their own. Before somebody goes off on one, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

My question was asked because i would like to know why so many people on here feels the bands are overrated, rather than a 'just because' answer or a poor attempt of a witty answer

:|

U2 have been steadily deflating for 20 years, yet are still strangely massive (like Bono's head).

Oasis have long since moved into the comfort zone.

Coldplay are less far into their career, and it's difficult to call. Doing well with 'Viva La Vida', picked up new fans even. IMHO The real test for them will come with their first post Eno material.

The Ramones are the single most over rated band in the history of recorded music.

Sigur Rós’ get an honourable mention for being very over rated too. But they pale into comparison of how over rated Joey, Johnny, Dee Dee and co are/were.

Luckily they are redeemed by several things. They made an album with Phil Spector. The t-shirts were quite good. But most importantly Dee Dee Ramone AKA Dee Dee King, was one of the first and most influential white rappers; releasing the classic ‘Funky Man’. More can be found

and also

I dont dislike The Ramones. Blitzkrieg Bop is one of the catchiest tunes ever. But i do maintain that they are hopelessly over rated. They did have a kickass t shirt, and the leather jackets in the summer and identical surnames certainly gave them more publicity than their music deserved. One of the first real examples of style over substance i guess.

Im going to be a staunch defender of Nirvana though. They were a phenomenal band, and without doubt one of the most influential acts since The Beatles, both in terms of inspiring kids to pick up guitars and changing what kids were listening to opening up a vibrant scene that had always been there to the mainsteam. Im so glad they put In Utero out too. Its a perfect foil to the 'poppy' Nevermind. Kurt knew how to create a riff. He could do some really interesting things other than a catchy riff and hook too.

Perhaps a generation have latched on to Nirvana because Kurt died so young. The same sort of people that latched on to Joy Division because Ian Curtis killed himself too. It pisses you off if you are a genuine fan of such bands music that there is a section of their fanbase who only want a tragic hero who looks good on a poster.

I went for Nirvana even though they are my favorate of the 7. I say this because they are overrated mainley because the death of Kurt. Most of the rest are just plain shit in my opinion, although they have done odd tracks ive liked.

The Beatles

Agreed. I also hate the fact there's some unwritten law saying that by default you're supposed to consider them one your favourite bands and worship their musical legacy. How about no?

Im so glad they put In Utero out too. Its a perfect foil to the 'poppy' Nevermind.

Nicely put. "Rape Me" is an all time rock classic, as is "All Apologies" (IMO, naturally)

Red.

Hot.

Chili.

Peppers.

So many albums. Just one song. (Or so it seems.)

Where are they from again? I'm sure someone once told me they're from the West Coast of America, but I'm not sure which state. If only they'd mention it in a song, my question would be answered.

I hated Nirvana with a passion when they were first on the scene

One day, long after he was dead , i heard unplugged on the radio and it just blew me away .. "Something in the way" is just dreamy and the emotion in his voice when he sings "Where did you sleep last night" is just about the best vocal I've ever heard live ..doubt it will ever be beaten for me though of course I'm listening to it with hind sight of what a tortured soul he was

Heavier than heaven is a biography of him that almost makes you want to cry ... a tortured soul and someone who clearly wasn't destined to live to old age

I hated Nirvana with a passion when they were first on the scene

One day, long after he was dead , i heard unplugged on the radio and it just blew me away .. "Something in the way" is just dreamy and the emotion in his voice when he sings "Where did you sleep last night" is just about the best vocal I've ever heard live ..doubt it will ever be beaten for me though of course I'm listening to it with hind sight of what a tortured soul he was

Heavier than heaven is a biography of him that almost makes you want to cry ... a tortured soul and someone who clearly wasn't destined to live to old age

I'm only 21 so I missed them when Kurt was alive, but that's bang on mate, Unplugged is a special album I only listen to it rarely so I really enjoy it. His Heavier then Heaven is a goodn I hated reading it when they were talking about the investigation.

You should read " who killed Kurt Cobain" - Im not a conspiracy theorist in the slightest, but that does have a LOT of points that are very open for negotiation

Nevermind it a 10/10 job

In Utero - 9/10

Bleach - 8/10 I can't get into the really heavy grungey stuff these days

i dont understand what is so bad about U2, Coldplay and Oasis?
Veloman got it spot on. One-riff wonders.

Thing is, these threads are pointless. We all like what we like and hate what we hate, it's pretty much impossible to change peoples' minds on that.

Everybody on here knows my antipathy to (most) 80s bands, but I'll be the fiirst to admit that that's a function of my age; if I'd been 16 in 1980 instead of 1970, I'd have probably loved New Order, The Smiths, etc.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

What I really CAN'T understand is people who have no love of music at all. I can't imagine living without it.

Â